• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I have 3 spare brackets if you want me to post you one.

Its cool dude, really appreciate the offer - looks like they are AM4 compatible now. It had a small yellow sticker outside saying it was and funnily enough a bracket labelled AM4 - just need a case to put it all in as numpty here forgot his Enthoo Evolve is MATX - EPIC FAIL LOL!

Caporegime
what do you think of the platform as compared to the x299 7820x platform

I have never owned X299 but specifications X299 is High End Desktop class platform, it has Quad Channel DDR4 as opposed to Dual Channel, its high memory bandwidth so those applications which make use of it may see higher performance.

Tho to be frank there isn't a lot of difference, its pretty much just Quad Channel DDR4 vs Dual Channel DDR4.

IMO its not worth the extra cost.

What would you use it for?

Associate
im looking to build a system that i can run 2 or 3 virtual machined off and do pentesting use linux backtrak metasploit etc so run multiple instance and apllications of programs ,is ryzen powerful enough for this in your opinion

Caporegime
im looking to build a system that i can run 2 or 3 virtual machined off and do pentesting use linux backtrak metasploit etc so run multiple instance and apllications of programs ,is ryzen powerful enough for this in your opinion

Yeah... the 8 core, or even Threadripper if you really want to go all out monster VM Machine... You might like to talk to my mate Pete, i know about this stuff... i'll pass this link to him, dunno when he may or may not respond.

Associate
thanks humbug yeah i thought about threadripper but little bit out my budget but im sure from what ive read on other forums 8 cores would be enough and the 1900x only has the advantage of more pci lanes which i dont really need so it was ryzen or 7820x but the performance isnt a massive difference to an overclocked ryzen 7 chip

Soldato

Yes, But....

Keep in mind that IIRC 64gb is the limit on Ryzen for memory, So if you are planing say 32gig + 4 cores/threads each, threadriper would be the better bet.

If, like me, A few VM's with various linux distros for compiling packages ect Ryzen is great. Though like anything else, If you spend the cash there is better.

Soldato
is zen 2 and zen3 going to be compatible with x370 motherboards

AMD said it will be and I believe them. If you go by their past CPU's they have kept the same socket for years, just added upgrades. Example AM3/AM3+ .... Some chips even supported DDR2 and DDR3, it just depended on the MoBo which RAM you used. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the later Zen's have DDR4/DDR5 memory controller.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Hmm or should that read "AMD 7mm rollout delayed"??

Not necessarily a delay, they might just be taking advantage of the 12nm being available now, rather than waiting until Ryzen 2/7nm is ready. We might get the equivalent of the Q6600 'G0' vs 'B3' scenario where we get the same generation but the new revision can clock much better.

Permabanned
Last weekend I recieved a Corsair Air 240 case, H100i GTX AIO, a 1700x and an Asrock m/b with 3200mhz ram both of which came recommended by 8 pack here at OCUK.

I really liked the full package as I got a white case along with a black and white motherboard and ram design, It was going to be a nice change from the Black and red system I'm back to using now.
I installed everything but it turned out my GPU was too big but I was happy to sell it and get one that did, I ended up fitting the build into my current Corsair C70 case until I could afford to get a replacement for the MSI Armor card (It's a shame it doesn't fit in the Air 240 case as it also has a black and white design.
I got the build put together and using an Intel 600 M.2 drive that I installed a new copy of Win 10 pro on so it should have been good to go. I then booted it up but within a few minutes I got a screen freeze which forced a reboot, The Team Group memory I got has a 3200 mhz speed so I tried it at every speed down to 1866mhz and while the slower I went the longer it lasted before freezing I was still unable to get the PC working properly.
I went to the Asrock website and got the latest bio's which I installed and it did not fix the issue, It still acted the same with longer working periods when the memory was slowed down. I then tried the stick's one by one but that made no difference, I did several install's of the OS including one with a regular sata drive but again no joy so today I've reluctantly returned the main items for a refund.
I'm unsure what was faulty but it was obviously bad luck on my part. I've kept the case and the AIO for when I get some replacements.

Soldato
Did you use the creation tool to make the latest version of Win 10? I had issues on a install using a disk that was made before creators update was bundled in, Used the latest version to install and it worked fine.

Soldato
Last weekend I recieved a Corsair Air 240 case, H100i GTX AIO, a 1700x and an Asrock m/b with 3200mhz ram both of which came recommended by 8 pack here at OCUK.

I really liked the full package as I got a white case along with a black and white motherboard and ram design, It was going to be a nice change from the Black and red system I'm back to using now.
I installed everything but it turned out my GPU was too big but I was happy to sell it and get one that did, I ended up fitting the build into my current Corsair C70 case until I could afford to get a replacement for the MSI Armor card (It's a shame it doesn't fit in the Air 240 case as it also has a black and white design.
I got the build put together and using an Intel 600 M.2 drive that I installed a new copy of Win 10 pro on so it should have been good to go. I then booted it up but within a few minutes I got a screen freeze which forced a reboot, The Team Group memory I got has a 3200 mhz speed so I tried it at every speed down to 1866mhz and while the slower I went the longer it lasted before freezing I was still unable to get the PC working properly.
I went to the Asrock website and got the latest bio's which I installed and it did not fix the issue, It still acted the same with longer working periods when the memory was slowed down. I then tried the stick's one by one but that made no difference, I did several install's of the OS including one with a regular sata drive but again no joy so today I've reluctantly returned the main items for a refund.
I'm unsure what was faulty but it was obviously bad luck on my part. I've kept the case and the AIO for when I get some replacements.

Did you use a higher vmem? ~1.4V is recommended for overclocked memory (above 2400MHz).

Back
Top Bottom