• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Associate
Prime95 small FFT still the go to test for stability?
That's what I've used, mixed with some IBT and Realbench as the latter helped weed out that a touch more voltage was needed.

I worry RAM clearance is going to be an issue since I'm using 45mm tall kits, but I reckon I could just mount the front fan at the back.
There are plenty of options, the fan can go on the back or can be raised above the memory as @Ste suggests. Apparently the cooler is still very efficient even if run with only a single fan.

Associate
Hey guys, i have had my ryzen system for around a month now but i'm only just starting to overclock it. My 1800x boosts to 3.7gig out of the box, how do i get it to 4gig? any decent guides out there.

Also what programs should i use to test my overclock (before and after) a couple i can think of are cinebench and 3dmark? will need to overclock my ram at some point as well

Associate
Hey guys, i have had my ryzen system for around a month now but i'm only just starting to overclock it. My 1800x boosts to 3.7gig out of the box, how do i get it to 4gig? any decent guides out there.

Also what programs should i use to test my overclock (before and after) a couple i can think of are cinebench and 3dmark? will need to overclock my ram at some point as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZgpHTaQ10k

Associate
Had a blast on my new Ryzen system this weekend. Was monitoring temps using Ryzen master and saw whilst playing Pubg that temps hit high 60s-low 70s. Is this normal? Seems a bit high I thought. No core seemed maxed out but was semi evenly loaded. I have this cooler: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryo...-heatsink-with-lumi-rgb-system-hs-00r-cy.html.
Also couldn't get my system to POST when running XMP profile for memory but that's another story. Got it to run at 3066MHz instead of the rated 3200.

Soldato
Had a blast on my new Ryzen system this weekend. Was monitoring temps using Ryzen master and saw whilst playing Pubg that temps hit high 60s-low 70s. Is this normal? Seems a bit high I thought. No core seemed maxed out but was semi evenly loaded. I have this cooler: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryo...-heatsink-with-lumi-rgb-system-hs-00r-cy.html.
Also couldn't get my system to POST when running XMP profile for memory but that's another story. Got it to run at 3066MHz instead of the rated 3200.

Ryzen Master will already correct the temps with the 20c offset so you're seeing the real temp. With that cooler though you should be getting better temps. Maybe tweak the fan profile? Does the case itself have good airflow?

As for the RAM, are you using the latest BIOS? AGESA 1.0.0.6 based BIOSes have a higher chance to run RAM at 3200MHz.

Associate
Ryzen Master will already correct the temps with the 20c offset so you're seeing the real temp. With that cooler though you should be getting better temps. Maybe tweak the fan profile? Does the case itself have good airflow?

As for the RAM, are you using the latest BIOS? AGESA 1.0.0.6 based BIOSes have a higher chance to run RAM at 3200MHz.

Case has 2 front fans and one rear exhaust, should be OK. Cables were well tidied, at least I think they were :). Reported motherboard temps seemed fine but can't remember off hand what they were. Perhaps I used too much TIM. I did an X shape on the CPU as shown in the picture that came with the TIM. (this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...formance-thermal-paste-1-gramm-th-020-tg.html)
Yes BIOS update to latest version was the first thing I did so it's not that.

Soldato
I'm using the same paste but I did the half-a-pea method with mine, and lifting the cooler showed it had very good contact with the cooler. X might be a bit too much. As long as the temps don't go over 80c though I wouldn't be worried too much.

My 1600X is back in the box now, my K7 board is currently in RMA :p. The Surface 4 is a massive step down compared to it in terms of encoding times...

Soldato
Case has 2 front fans and one rear exhaust, should be OK. Cables were well tidied, at least I think they were :). Reported motherboard temps seemed fine but can't remember off hand what they were. Perhaps I used too much TIM. I did an X shape on the CPU as shown in the picture that came with the TIM. (this one https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...formance-thermal-paste-1-gramm-th-020-tg.html)
Yes BIOS update to latest version was the first thing I did so it's not that.

When I applied my Arctic 5 compound to my Ryzen CPU Arctic recommended a straight line down the centre. So that is what I did and temps seem good.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#

Associate
I'm using the same paste but I did the half-a-pea method with mine, and lifting the cooler showed it had very good contact with the cooler. X might be a bit too much. As long as the temps don't go over 80c though I wouldn't be worried too much.

My 1600X is back in the box now, my K7 board is currently in RMA :p. The Surface 4 is a massive step down compared to it in terms of encoding times...
Yeah I'll keep an eye on it. Just concerned what it will go up to under a more strenuous load. I@ll check the fan profile too, no idea what it's set at. Whatever the default is.
When I applied my Arctic 5 compound to my Ryzen CPU Arctic recommended a straight line down the centre. So that is what I did and temps seem good.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/amd_application_method.html#
Going by the single line application in that document I probably applied waaay more than that, the X I did was probably 2 of those single lines :S

Associate
Yeah I'll keep an eye on it. Just concerned what it will go up to under a more strenuous load. I@ll check the fan profile too, no idea what it's set at. Whatever the default is.

Going by the single line application in that document I probably applied waaay more than that, the X I did was probably 2 of those single lines :S
I have applied once a small grain of rice and spread it out with spatula. When i tried to change the cooler the CPU was stuck to cooler base. I had to use dental floss to separate it :)

Soldato
Careful now, don't want the paste to go everywhere ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

Back and forth sometimes work but it depends on the cooler. I found twisting to be the most effective when the cooler is stuck. Although my R1 has incredibly strong springs so as soon as I undo one side it immediately jumps up...

Associate
I'll keep that as a last resort lol. Had to revert back from XMP profile. Started playing pubg and it crashed multiple times. Then an actual hard lock up with blue scree. Not seen that in a while! Was fine after I went back to default bios settings.

Soldato
Whats the worst thing can happen when going to setup new system?
Running out of thermal paste, even if just half hour ago, could easily put the hand on fire swearing had a whole tube of Kryonaut existed in the house.......
Well. 1800X has to wait one more night.

Back
Top Bottom