1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Raumarik, Jun 4, 2014.

1. humbug

Caporegime

I agree with most of whats written in that article, its gone on for too long, i have no doubt they are burning through far more money than they should and i agree a lot of that is probably down to Chris.

But that article is more than just a bit hyperbole, it reads more like an East Enders script than impartial journalism.

2. tracertong

Wise Guy

"S42 is still only going to be Beta in 2020" :rolleyes:

3. humbug

Caporegime

Yes, Q1 2020 Alpha, Q2 2020 Beta, Beta is the final stage of testing polishing, 12 months, whats wrong with that?

4. XPE

Soldato

Can someone tell me what to turn on or off to hit stuff in space combat, since 3.5 my ship weapons seem to lag well behind where I aiming.

5. humbug

Caporegime

R to cycle through different tracking modes.

6. hyperseven

Soldato

It will then be 5 years past its initial release date.

Oh well still got my AMD Mustang Omega and whatever was in that promotion waiting for when the game is released.

Have 6.500 UEC, that any use?

[​IMG]

7. Malevolence

Capodecina

8. TonyTurbo78

Sgarrista

But the fluff looks amazing, worth every penny of that 200million plus :rolleyes::p

9. new boy

Mobster

FYI - That ships worth like >$100 on they grey market :)

10. Raumarik

Capodecina

Modern journalism is about trawling social media looking for tweets that you can take out of context. However the article is reasonably accurate.

Chris Roberts, as much as I like his vision should have built this at one studio, where ever that was, never tried to farm out parts of it (FPS module. web management) and stuck to getting the fundamentals in-game early. Then again I still think there's a good shot at this being one of the better games of the past 30 years.

Just so many screw ups and wasted opportunities along the way..

11. mid_gen

Sgarrista

It's simply not possible to hire a large team in one studio location anymore....there is a very limited supply of skilled developers out there...so spreading out across multiple studios makes sense.

The problem is the giant ego at the helm, and feature creep aka stretch goals. There's a reason why Creative Directors aren't the top of the pile in AAA development typically.

12. Raumarik

Capodecina

Austin Texas has tons of good Devs, they certainly didn't need four studios in three countries. Then to farm out web to Canada and FPS to Australia, needless expense and meant less control.

13. XPE

Soldato

Thanks for that.

Can anyone get the quantum drive on the prospector to work

14. phrases

Hitman

Lets face is the forbes article is pretty damming. I like the part where the original game was pitched - At no part did anyone ask for a company to be grown to over 500 employees and 5 offices around the world. If SQ42 pans then SC is in deep ****.

15. Darujhistan

Mobster

I dunno, there's always plenty of white knights ready to defend whatever CIG does and then give them more money.

16. phrases

Hitman

Tell me about it. The times i've lurked in SC related discords or even spectrum itself where people are giving guidence on which ship they should buy right now or save up for... Like its supposed to be that way. My mind is blown the way they are almost cult like. Kudos to the sales team of spectrum :D

17. Drangueos

Mobster

by the time they finish this game you will be able to play it on mobile on max settings :p

18. MartinPrince

Hitman

That's an apt description, "almost Cult like". Like a lot of Cults/Religons where you are promised something in the future that may or may not come though you have to part with some money in the mean time. ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  19. humbug

Caporegime

Funny you should ask that, i discovered a bug last night where the Quantum Drive randomly would not work, this was in the Anvil Arrow, i cured it by turning back to Olisar and landing the ship illegally "just landing on a pad without asking" when i re-spawned the ship it was working again.

20. mid_gen

Sgarrista

There are quite a few devs in Austin, but they aren't all sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting to start working on your new project.

Chances of ramping up from nothing to a full AAA development team, in one location, in the timescale of a single project, is zero. Not happening. Sure when you first open your studio you'll snap up the people that were unemployed or looking for a move already (but bear in mind these probably aren't the best people), but after that.....experienced devs that fit the myriad roles you need to fill just don't come on the market very often....and they may well have zero interest in working for a studio with no track record of shipping anything.

Opening in multiple cities/countries and outsourcing some development is one of the things they have done right.