******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Yea but what I mean is that serve meshing ain't done yet and far from it as well as many of the game mechanics especially in fps mode/view

Did you half finish your reply? That sentence appears incomplete. Server meshing directly is needed for player increase whilst also expanding the player area. The first step though is SSOCS which is being worked on accordingly to the devs. In which case there shouldn't be a reason to not add in game mechanics.

Server side meshing is really only going to be critical to get beyond the single system & 50 player cap we have. Which likely wont be till 2022 in my honest view. Then we will likely see more systems and increased player cap. I don't think we will ever get past a limited number though rather there will still be instancing needed in my view.

Vulkan is meant to happen at some point but I can't see that happening till after SQ42 either tbh and so the first episode of SQ42 will be DX11.

Edit:

what has fps mode/view got to do with game mechanics and server meshing?

Soldato
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...n/17140-Star-Citizen-Monthly-Report-June-2019

Latest dev report

`Work started on the new router mesh, which will help scale and distribute backend service data load over multiple machines and reduce the backpressure experienced in the current system.`

They also completed the initial test runs of server-side object container streaming (OCS)

Two statements that suggest they are starting work on server elements both in terms of server meshing and SSOCS. Seems to be very early doors, however at least there is something happening.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yea and I heard its broken badly atm?

Yes, very.... they also added hover mode, and testers immediately found that landing was a problem because you can't see what's below you, because when you dip the nose down to have a look the ship shoot's forward and you crash.

This is now causing a huge headache for them, honestly i think sometimes they go to great lengths to add fluff that no one wants without even thinking about it.

Soldato
Yes, very.... they also added hover mode, and testers immediately found that landing was a problem because you can't see what's below you, because when you dip the nose down to have a look the ship shoot's forward and you crash.

This is now causing a huge headache for them, honestly i think sometimes they go to great lengths to add fluff that no one wants without even thinking about it.
They need to fix first person mechanics. Just rip it off from apex legends or whatever. And then they need to create persistent saves around the current solar system and add more missions etc so people have a purpose to play say 10 hours worth of mission and quest content. Think of it as a mini version of the full game. Test that and then expand the universe and server meshing stuff etc

Soldato
They need to fix first person mechanics. Just rip it off from apex legends or whatever. And then they need to create persistent saves around the current solar system and add more missions etc so people have a purpose to play say 10 hours worth of mission and quest content. Think of it as a mini version of the full game. Test that and then expand the universe and server meshing stuff etc

What do you keep banging on about fixing first person mechanics? They are pretty solid and Apex legends us a twitch shooter!

The FPS mechanics are much greater than most games, it's more Arms/survival/depth gameplay than any awful twitch shooter.

Everything is unified in 1st/3rd person. The mechanics, the stamina system, room systems, gunplay are not aimed at twitch shooting. Currently their biggest failing in FPS is the distance if engagement which is limited due to culling players relatively close at moment. Hopefully after SSOCS and meshing that will be resolved so a sniper can fire 1000m +

Soldato
What do you keep banging on about fixing first person mechanics? They are pretty solid and Apex legends us a twitch shooter!

The FPS mechanics are much greater than most games, it's more Arms/survival/depth gameplay than any awful twitch shooter.

Everything is unified in 1st/3rd person. The mechanics, the stamina system, room systems, gunplay are not aimed at twitch shooting. Currently their biggest failing in FPS is the distance if engagement which is limited due to culling players relatively close at moment. Hopefully after SSOCS and meshing that will be resolved so a sniper can fire 1000m +
Its absolute dog pop mate. Many here have labeled the fps broken!

It needs fixing properly along with all the the other core mechanics mate

Soldato

Anything to divert attention away from the fact it still isn't a game yet.

Soldato
Its absolute dog pop mate. Many here have labeled the fps broken!

It needs fixing properly along with all the the other core mechanics mate

I play it thanks and know what it's like. The FPS isn't that broken, it just isn't finished but it's never going to be a twitch shooter as stated. It's more Arma pace.

Am aware a lot to fix to get even passable. Nothing really going to be playable for another 12 months I feel then it may start to come together.

Soldato

In fairness this was the most asked about feature of not having magic floating ships and where is VTOL for the last 4 or so years on Spectrum.

It could be fine once they get the toggle in to stop it being automatic. And then add the radar system in they want. For now 3rd person view can kinda resolve it if you practice a little.

But then aren't all the things such as MFD, heat, power etc on ships all a little wonky at moment. First pass and VTOL/non-magic floating ships makes sense longer term.

So I wouldn't say it's fluff nobody wanted.

Caporegime
In fairness this was the most asked about feature of not having magic floating ships and where is VTOL for the last 4 or so years on Spectrum.

It could be fine once they get the toggle in to stop it being automatic. And then add the radar system in they want. For now 3rd person view can kinda resolve it if you practice a little.

But then aren't all the things such as MFD, heat, power etc on ships all a little wonky at moment. First pass and VTOL/non-magic floating ships makes sense longer term.

So I wouldn't say it's fluff nobody wanted.

I think it's loud minority wanting realism, It's the same people who sit waiting to get interdicted at some point during a half hour Quantum Jump, well they have that and now some more flight simulator crap, there are only so many tedious layers of gameplay i can put up with before i decide it's not for me.

Soldato
I think it's loud minority wanting realism, It's the same people who sit waiting to get interdicted at some point during a half hour Quantum Jump, well they have that and now some more flight simulator crap, there are only so many tedious layers of gameplay i can put up with before i decide it's not for me.

In fairness it was always meant to have all the flight simulation aspects, and maybe a relative minority but I wouldn't agree with your assessment on interdiction and hover being same as I like/want hover (once manual) but dislike interdiction.

The thing with it though is that the main issue tbh is currently not being able to land easier cause can't see. Fix that, no more crashing and no more issue. You don't want complicated, leave it coupled flight auto engage and let your IFC system sort you out. Want manual control to learn how far each ship can pitch when in hover go decoupled.

Give the computer ability to say when you get to say 80m/s a warning of engine stall starts and wants you to engage VTOL. Get below 50m/s and you should start to fall then you can practice crazy manouvers of late engagement of VTOL but give you advantage in landing faster etc.

The idea with coupled/decoupled was always to give both light SIM piloting and more advance flight.

Going back to 2012 and CR talks about depth of flight, real physics, sim experience etc.

Edit: each to own I get but at moment for me it isn't particularly tedious, just has learning curve.

Caporegime
In fairness it was always meant to have all the flight simulation aspects, and maybe a relative minority but I wouldn't agree with your assessment on interdiction and hover being same as I like/want hover (once manual) but dislike interdiction.

The thing with it though is that the main issue tbh is currently not being able to land easier cause can't see. Fix that, no more crashing and no more issue. You don't want complicated, leave it coupled flight auto engage and let your IFC system sort you out. Want manual control to learn how far each ship can pitch when in hover go decoupled.

Give the computer ability to say when you get to say 80m/s a warning of engine stall starts and wants you to engage VTOL. Get below 50m/s and you should start to fall then you can practice crazy manouvers of late engagement of VTOL but give you advantage in landing faster etc.

The idea with coupled/decoupled was always to give both light SIM piloting and more advance flight.

Going back to 2012 and CR talks about depth of flight, real physics, sim experience etc.

Edit: each to own I get but at moment for me it isn't particularly tedious, just has learning curve.

It's fake realism, unless you have actual wings that work you will need VTOL as soon as you enter gravity, not at 50m but at 50KM or more depending on the size of the planet, VTOL is no more real to me than not having it at all, only worse because you can't just land, you have to go through a series of simulated layers and that will soon get tiresome just like 30 minute traveling from A to B does when you have to sit in the seat just in case you get interdicted, think how much fun that will be when the game gets expended and they decide hours of traveling time is a good idea.

Soldato
OP
People are either just playing the alpha and enjoying it or not paying any attention to it at all (I'm in the latter). Although mainly as they are still changing the flight system and I can't be bothered spending hours setting up my Warthog and pedals for it only for it to change in the next patch.

Still needs more content to close some game play loops for starters.

Back
Top Bottom