******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Caporegime
Scanning isn't broken, they just changed it and didn't tell anyone...

Using the default wide angle scan will tell you there is something there, if you then narrow the beam and ping each target individually it will give you a better indication of what it is.

For those of you who don't know the ins and outs of mining:

Hand and ROC minables are only detectable from short range, so they will disappear at a long narrow ping.

Quantanium is the most valuable mineral, but once mined you only have 15 minutes to get it too the refinery, so don't mess about, split all the rock to a collectable state before collecting them, once arrived at any ###-L1 space station store the ship as soon as you can after landing.
Quantanium rocks are mostly in pairs or clusters, if they are singular minable rocks they are likely not Quantanium, move on to the next, use the Lancet Mining head for Quantanium, Size 1 for the Prospector, Size 2 for the ARGO Mole. Ignore Quantanium rocks with anything less than 20% Quantanium content, its not worth it.

Associate
Been watching a few clips lately of this and Im considering giving it a go. My system isnt the best so I dont want to splash out on the game if it runs poorley. I also cant afford to upgrade so Im stuck with what I've got. Is my system able to rum the game at an acceptable frame rate? Thanks

Ryzen 2700x
GTX 980ti
16gb Corsair Vengance 3000mhz

Soldato
OP
What CPU mate? It can impact performance substantially, just as Humbug. Ideally 6 core+

If you are not throttled too much by CPU then you are likely looking at 30-35FPS in space and ~20 in cities. Medium settings and 1080P. That's ball park it won't be great but it will also vary depending on where you are, how well the patch is working etc and you'll find some more optimised areas - I don't play a huge amount anymore as I already have a job and don't need a second one at the moment.

Caporegime
Been watching a few clips lately of this and Im considering giving it a go. My system isnt the best so I dont want to splash out on the game if it runs poorley. I also cant afford to upgrade so Im stuck with what I've got. Is my system able to rum the game at an acceptable frame rate? Thanks

Ryzen 2700x
GTX 980ti

That's ok, you should be able to run it with that.

Soldato
At 1080p you'll be 100% fine with that, probably 1440p too if you are happy with framerate dipping. iirc a 980ti isn't far off of a 1070, and I was using one of those with a Ryzen 2600 at framerates that were acceptable to me (in space anyway) on a 1440p ultrawide. Chugged a bit in cities, but considering all you do in them at the moment ingame is wander about and shop, a low framerate is hardly an issue.

Soldato
OP
Keyboard and mouse are fine, honestly it's also the easiest way to play.

If you absolutely feel you must the T16000m stick or set (with throttle) are probably best bang for buck. Setting it up can be a pain though. I generally don't bother these days.

Soldato

Ryzen 2700x
GTX 980ti
I'm currently running the game on a Xeon E3-1231v3 (Broadwell 4 thread 8 core), 16GB DDR3, SATA SSD and 1070GTX. Was getting ~25 fps in Area 18 and 45ish once in a ship leaving the planet and then up to 60 in deep space.

Soldato
Thanks for the info. I see a lot of players using Joystick/s for flying is there any budget joysticks that are recommended?
I'd stick with Mouse and keyboard alone for a first try, being able to just look at the menu and it tell you your keybinds easily rather than trawling through sub menus to find what button you bound something to will make your initial gameplay far easier!

I run with Joystick (VKB Gladiator NXT) and Throttle/stick (DIY Arduino thing I made), but keep Mouse and Keyboard to hand at all times. Means I can enjoy the sensation of flying stick, but always have default keybinds to fall back on if ever needed. Not to mention any FPS gameplay.

The T16000m gets recommended a lot, but I've seen some reddit posts saying that quality control on them has fallen through the floor over the past year, and I think the price has increased too. It might not be a huge jump to one of the lower spec VKBs now, plus there are some Chinese VKB clones that I've seen a few good comments about. Don't rule out second hand sticks either.

Soldato
OP
VKB are a great quality manufacturer who make excellent products. I had their pedals at one point.

The original T1600Ms were the best, green LEDs, I still have mine and prefer it over my Warthog tbh. The T16000Ms can also be run dual stick if you want as they have grips which come with a left handed set you can swap to which makes them one of the very few left handed joysticks and by far the cheapest one.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The VKB Gladiator and NXT are both kind of mid-way between entry level kit (e.g. T1600) and the full on kit from VKB (Gunfighter) and Virpil.
The compromise on the NXT is the use of a plastic gimball, whereas the VKB Gunfighter, Virpil Warbird and T50 use full metal.

My son has one of the knock off Chinese clones of the Gladiator. For the price, great piece of kit and happily recommended over anything of a similar price. The NXT is better, but it's also twice the cost. The Gunfighter and equivalent Virpil are circa £400-500. Yes, they are better, but you certainly pay for it.

Soldato
OP
The peripheral market is very much a place of fanboy factions. Virpil, VKB etc you can find someone to say one is better than the other.

Reminds me of people arguing over the best mechanical keyboard, it's very personal and "this one is heavier duty - better materials etc" is fairly meaningless without metrics around returns, DOA and repairs.

Never really had any issues with mine over the years whether it's been CH, Thrustmaster, VKB etc They all worked fine. In fact the most expensive stick (warthog) has been the only one to show any wear on it's internals.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The peripheral market is very much a place of fanboy factions. Virpil, VKB etc you can find someone to say one is better than the other.

Reminds me of people arguing over the best mechanical keyboard, it's very personal and "this one is heavier duty - better materials etc" is fairly meaningless without metrics around returns, DOA and repairs.

Agreed.
I’ve got kit from CH, WinWing, TM and Virpil and my personal opinion on reliability is pretty meaningless without stats.
I can however happily state that the better Virpil kit does make flying accurately easier

Caporegime
Road to Server Meshing.

Full persistence and replication layer in 3.18, expected up to 3 months Evocati testing. expected live release late Q3

3.19 becomes 4.0 with full server meshing and Pyro late Q4 - Q1 2023.

Back
Top Bottom