• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official THIEF-Incorporating AMD™ Mantle™/True Audio™/Bench mark Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So 30 minutes into this game and every negative review I read was wrong. They were far too lenient, it's worse than awful.

This is turgid scripted muck.

In the old Thief games if you got detected it made your mission harder or you had to run and hide. In this excuse for a game the mission ends. I know it's the early missions but come on. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yeah I'm glad I didn't buy it. It looks horrendous. Not even salvageable by a patch. Ah well if you were lucky enough to get it free with a graphics card let's hope you were able to sell it on while the hype train was hooting :D.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah I'm glad I didn't buy it. It looks horrendous. Not even salvageable by a patch. Ah well if you were lucky enough to get it free with a graphics card let's hope you were able to sell it on while the hype train was hooting :D.

I sold it with Farcry 3 to one of my buddies at the time for £20. A week ago I was annoyed seeing keys going for £15, now I am not so annoyed. :)

Soldato
I got it for £10 not played it yet, but am the kind gamer that don't base games on reviews but my own.

Thief to me looks very good, watched total biscuits video other day not watched much and his view was very good.

If I listen to people options on games I would have missed out on loads cracking games over the years.

Remember a review site is one persons view on a game. It's just like me saying 3/10 and you taking that as a fact.
Be your own re-viewer.

Soldato
I'm going to pick it up Friday regardless, I'm not one to follow user reviews when it comes to games, thought witcher 2 was utterly crap but many people love it, ''one man's pleasure is another's poison'' and all that.

Soldato
Me too shankly,

Tbh Greg I'm not fussed on mantle being available yet, it works in Bf4 so hopefully it'll do the business in Thief too.

I'm annoyed that trueaudio isn't available yet though, was genuinely excited about trying it out. :(

Soldato
Me too shankly,

Tbh Greg I'm not fussed on mantle being available yet, it works in Bf4 so hopefully it'll do the business in Thief too.

I'm annoyed that trueaudio isn't available yet though, was genuinely excited about trying it out. :(

Yeah am a big sucker when it comes to audio with games. TrueAudio from everything I have watched on Youtube and AMD events is a winner before its even released. It's something I can see around for very long time.

Associate
thief-3.jpg

bru

bru

Soldato
For those of you that have played it, what is the audio like? Is it the type of in game sound that has been done well? And do you think it will be much better with better positional audio?

Soldato
For those of you that have played it, what is the audio like? Is it the type of in game sound that has been done well? And do you think it will be much better with better positional audio?

After playing for another few hours to see if it got better, it actually got worse. I cannot see why I should waste hours of my life to enable me to do a proper assessment as Shankley seems to deem necessary. If a game hasn't grabbed you in the first few hours it never will.

The audio is poor to be honest. It has it's good bits but overall I would rate it poor. For example at the start of the game you are in a guys room, he is drunk and asleep and there is noise coming from an open window. The noise sounds like there is a bustling market and a party going on outside. When you get out the windows and climb onto the conveniently placed beam/walkway and look down, there are a handful of people standing about.

My first thought was where is the market and the party.

Another seriously negative point is the beam you are on cannot be fallen off. There is no feeling of tension climbing roofs and beam walking as you cannot fall off. In the first level you are chasing your companion Erin across the rooftops. It gives the impression that you can fall off with one wrong move, but in reality Garret simply stops dead at the edges of any roofs/ledges but will not fall.

The level design is atrocious and not even remotely open ended. As I mentioned in a previous post, when you get detected the mission ends and you are sent back to the last checkpoint. Before anyone says this is only the 1st "tutorial" level, let me remind you it should not be a gameplay mechanic at all in a so called open ended game. The devs have marketed this games as open ended do it your way and decide the best way to complete the level. Instead windows and doors close behind you to corral you along the route the developers demand that you take. One moment Garret can climb a wall and the next he cannot climb a park bench or small hedge. Garret can only jump and climb/grab things at pre-determined locations. Every where else he is bound to the earth as he has inconveniently forgot how to jump or climb. The conveniently placed beams lead right up the the next objective window/door/corridor, so you simply don't have a choice. Thanks devs for designing a game that caters only to morons who need their hand held so they don't get lost. None of other doors and windows are interactive, ONLY the ones the devs demand you go through. The rope arrows can only be fired at specific predesignated points. You literally cannot even draw the bow unless the devs have decreed it the correct time/place to do so.

If you must try it make sure to get it a cheap code on MM so the developers don't get any further income. These devs/publishers should not be rewarded for this game. Hard to believe the same team brought us Deus Ex HR. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm going to pick it up Friday regardless, I'm not one to follow user reviews when it comes to games, thought witcher 2 was utterly crap but many people love it, ''one man's pleasure is another's poison'' and all that.

I would get it for the future TrueAudio and benchmark feature, the customisable difficulty is nice to tweak for your own playstyle. Absolutely not worth the £29.99 price tag though.

I watched Witcher 2 on XBOX the other day after seeing people banging on about it. Was disappointed with the hack 'n slash repetition of the sword fighting. I know what you mean soldierboy.

Caporegime
I'm waiting for Mantle and TrueAudio before i try it. After watching a little bit of Total Biscuits opinion of it im optimistic. Got it for free with my 7990 anyway so its not as if it cost me anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom