• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official THIEF-Incorporating AMD™ Mantle™/True Audio™/Bench mark Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Don't take this the wrong way but Thief isn't demanding at all and unless you seriously want to hear the TrueAudio (which by all accounts is also poor), I couldn't understand why people waited to play it. The Bench test is the most demanding aspect of this game and people with CF cards can't run CF with Mantle but can with DX....

The game does seem to be a bit of a let down generally , apart from the lighting which is quite nice. The bench not supporting CF in Mantle is a bit of a joke too. :mad:

Soldato
AMD TRUEAUDIO IN THIEF
With respect to Thief, AMD TrueAudio is utilized to calculate an effect called “convolution reverb.” Convolution reverb is a technique that mathematically simulates the echoes (i.e. reverberation) of a real-life location. This effect is accomplished by recording an “impulse response,” which is a snapshot of the echo characteristics of a real-world location. That impulse response is fed back into software that can recreate that behavior in a PC game. - See more at: http://community.amd.com/community/...ltimate-driver-for-thief#sthash.WwVN1IFB.dpuf
Thief uses this technique to make buildings, cathedrals, alleyways and other in-game venues sound quite like they would in real life! In an environment where there are adjacent areas with different echo characteristics and impulse response (example: a cathedral adjacent to a cave and an open space), multiple convolution reverbs must be processed in parallel to create the most realistic sound environment. AMD worked closely with Eidos to process up to four convolution reverbs simultaneously with AMD TrueAudio technology, and you should try mission seven to get the best experience! - See more at: http://community.amd.com/community/...ltimate-driver-for-thief#sthash.WwVN1IFB.dpuf

Full blog post
http://community.amd.com/community/...talyst-143-beta-the-ultimate-driver-for-thief

Caporegime
The game does seem to be a bit of a let down generally , apart from the lighting which is quite nice. The bench not supporting CF in Mantle is a bit of a joke too. :mad:

It will be sorted at some stage to run CF but might as well have a play. I found the game so linear and I did try to like it (played 8 hours I think) but it just didn't cut it for me. I am more of an open world type gamer and like finding my own routes or at least a little more open spaced like Tomb Raider was.

Soldato
Yeah your CPU sucks and will only run 0.00357% of games! :p

I didn't mean crappy like that, I meant to drive Crossfire 290x it's not the best choice.

Crossfire Mantle support comes in the next driver.

That is good to know, I though it was in beta 14.2 driver, an assumption on my part lol. :o

It will be sorted at some stage to run CF but might as well have a play. I found the game so linear and I did try to like it (played 8 hours I think) but it just didn't cut it for me. I am more of an open world type gamer and like finding my own routes or at least a little more open spaced like Tomb Raider was.

I played it for a couple of hours and didn't find it too bad to be honest, apart from the window opening animation started to grate a bit!

Caporegime
I played it for a couple of hours and didn't find it too bad to be honest, apart from the window opening animation started to grate a bit!

I am never a fan of fast tapping "A" buttons and that is my bug with Batman and Tomb Raider. If I wanted to do tapping, I would run a C64 emulator and play HyperSports :D

Along with 2GB GPU memory optimisation. that should be the same for BF4 :cool:

Why not run with 13.12, where you could run at ultra settings and get playable frames? It seems very silly to run Mantle that forces you to lower settings to me.

Soldato
I am never a fan of fast tapping "A" buttons and that is my bug with Batman and Tomb Raider. If I wanted to do tapping, I would run a C64 emulator and play HyperSports :D

Why not run with 13.12, where you could run at ultra settings and get playable frames? It seems very silly to run Mantle that forces you to lower settings to me.

Agreed, Greg. Its not exactly challenging and it certainly isn't entertaining. :D

Soldato
Don't worry, you will get the joke one day. :D

As for your system, running off one card will still steam this game it's not that taxing!

I doubt it mate, I'm dumber than box of rocks! :D

It was running fine TBH, I think I was using the Mantle patch as an excuse to take a break. :p

Soldato
When we started testing Thief patch 1.3 and Catalyst 14.3, AMD provided us with results of their in-house testing. These scores ranged from 5% up to 24% performance boost with Mantle depending on the quality settings. While our testing did not receive scores up to 24%, a 21.26% performance boost from a driver update and game patch to implement Mantle is hard to beat.
In addition to testing Mantle, we were also able to give TrueAudio a chance. Thief is the first game to implement TrueAudio, TrueAudio offloads sound from the CPU to dedicated audio chips on the video card. Thief implements it to calculate “convolution reverb”, which is a technique to simulate noise in a real-life environment, this causes realistic echos which can be a little disconcerting at first. We are so used to playing games without realistic echos that when we hear it from a game it sounds wierd. However that fades very quickly and the noises of the game draws you in.
When switching between Mantle and no Mantle support, occasionally Thief would crash before getting into the game. While any crash is a hassle, most people probably won’t be switching between the two settings as frequently as we were during the testing.
Legit Bottom Line: Receiving a double digit boost in performance is hard to beat, especially when it is provided through a simple driver update and game patch. So far, both games that support Mantle have shown a good increase in performance once Mantle is implemented. TrueAudio has a lot of potential, Thief’s implementation with echos can make a game much more realistic. Hopefully more games will implement Mantle and TrueAudio as they mature.

Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-mantle-trueaudio-patch-thief_137644

Caporegime
When we started testing Thief patch 1.3 and Catalyst 14.3, AMD provided us with results of their in-house testing. These scores ranged from 5% up to 24% performance boost with Mantle depending on the quality settings. While our testing did not receive scores up to 24%, a 21.26% performance boost from a driver update and game patch to implement Mantle is hard to beat.
In addition to testing Mantle, we were also able to give TrueAudio a chance. Thief is the first game to implement TrueAudio, TrueAudio offloads sound from the CPU to dedicated audio chips on the video card. Thief implements it to calculate “convolution reverb”, which is a technique to simulate noise in a real-life environment, this causes realistic echos which can be a little disconcerting at first. We are so used to playing games without realistic echos that when we hear it from a game it sounds wierd. However that fades very quickly and the noises of the game draws you in.
When switching between Mantle and no Mantle support, occasionally Thief would crash before getting into the game. While any crash is a hassle, most people probably won’t be switching between the two settings as frequently as we were during the testing.
Legit Bottom Line: Receiving a double digit boost in performance is hard to beat, especially when it is provided through a simple driver update and game patch. So far, both games that support Mantle have shown a good increase in performance once Mantle is implemented. TrueAudio has a lot of potential, Thief’s implementation with echos can make a game much more realistic. Hopefully more games will implement Mantle and TrueAudio as they mature.

Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-mantle-trueaudio-patch-thief_137644

Stick that in your pipe Gregorio. :p

Caporegime
Stick that in your pipe Gregorio. :p

You wouldn't believe how many times I have added cards to my basket today, as TrueAudio is something I like the sound of (pun intended). The problem is useage for me, as I would pair up a 290/X with a 2500K and use it for TrueAudio games but Thief is so poor, even 3D doesn't help. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom