• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official THIEF-Incorporating AMD™ Mantle™/True Audio™/Bench mark Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I found the menu, had to go in to the steamapps folder and find and run it manually.

Benchmarks were better, but when I loaded a save game there was no video but the audio worked fine....odd.

Associate
So far testing the 14.2 betas in dx and mantle at stock mantle pulls ahead slightly but when overclocked DX yields better results (avg fps).

Going to test the 14.3 beta later and hopefully it will have more improvement.

edit: 14.3 drivers gave better mantle results.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm 14.2 drivers as 14.3 drivers ate my win 8 drive......well I think it was updating windows while installing those drivers that killed that win 8 drive....

but difference is night and day with mantle on my 7870 LE.........specially on mins; I went from

4 min
54 max
40 ave

to

44 min
79.8 max
61 ave

I can't wait to test bf4; will look at trying 14.3 on new win 8 build; since I've just reformated won't matter if I eat this one :D

Man of Honour
@SieB

A bit off topic, I notice you have done a review for your 290P on another website. Having you thought about posting some of your benches in the threads we run here ?

Another 290 would be a good addition.:)

Last edited:
Associate
@SieB

A bit off topic, I notice you have done a review for your 290P on another website. Having you thought about posting some of your benches in the threads we run here ?

Another 290 would be a good addition.:)

Will do, they are pretty average scores though :)

EDIT:
I've got some better scores than the ones I did in my review so I will post those instead.

Man of Honour
Will do, they are pretty average scores though :)

EDIT:
I've got some better scores than the ones I did in my review so I will post those instead.

Thanks, it will be good to have another 290P, LtMatt will be pleased.:)

The threads we run are not really about the fastest scores but more a guide to what different cards can do under different conditions.

Don't forget for the Heaven 4 bench you need the screenshot over the cobbles.:)

Caporegime

The threads we run are not really about the fastest scores but more a guide to what different cards can do under different conditions.

Actually im anything but pleased. I feel threatened.

Caporegime
I'm 14.2 drivers as 14.3 drivers ate my win 8 drive......well I think it was updating windows while installing those drivers that killed that win 8 drive....

but difference is night and day with mantle on my 7870 LE.........specially on mins; I went from

4 min
54 max
40 ave

to

44 min
79.8 max
61 ave

I can't wait to test bf4; will look at trying 14.3 on new win 8 build; since I've just reformated won't matter if I eat this one :D

I'm genuinely surprised by how brilliant the minimum improvements have been.

I've still not even run Mantle on BF4... me of all people :p

Too busy with assignments for third year uni and I was also put off BF4, I eventually bought it and wanted to play it a bit in DX to get a feel for it before then trying Mantle.

I really haven't followed the BF4/mantle thread that closely but looking in this thread the minimum improvements are nothing short of amazing.

Associate

All done :)

And while i'm here I might as well post my DX11 vs Mantle Thief results.

2500k 4ghz - 290p Tri-X stock

DX11

TU07zem.png

Mantle

NvHyntK.jpg

Caporegime
Nice article from Joel looking at Mantle and TrueAudio in Thief. :)

AMD’s Mantle brings 23% performance boost to Thief, TrueAudio impresses

With Thief, AMD now has a second game that gives its customers a significant performance boost. That’s great news for existing customers, particularly faithful users that have stuck by AMD for the past few years. Mantle could also play an interesting role in mobile gaming, particularly if it improves the performance of many of the multi-GPU systems that AMD’s OEM partners have sold in the past few years.

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare looks like it’ll be the next title for Mantle and the first game to ship with the capability integrated “out of the box.” Other games, like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Star Citizen, and Mirror’s Edge 2 are rumored to support the standard, though this list hasn’t been confirmed. Hopefully we’ll see TrueAudio support added by other games as well, particularly as the Oculus Rift moves closer to shipping late in the year.

We’d still like to see Mantle offering a greater performance improvement for Intel users given that Intel accounts for the majority of CPU sales in the PC market, but Mantle does offer AMD customers a better experience in real-world scenarios. A 23% boost for the A10-7850K and R7 270 won’t blow the doors off, but it’s a markedly better experience.

Source
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...formance-boost-to-thief-trueaudio-impresses/2

Soldato
That’s great news for existing customers, particularly faithful users that have stuck by AMD for the past few years.

I'm not sure why this is better news for existing customer than for new customers?
Also not sure why this is better for the faithful users that have stuck by AMD for the past few years? Surely those might be the people that are still running a 6970 and can't use Mantle?
It's good, although not surprising, that this 2nd Mantle game is getting a boost. Imagine if this one performed worse!

Tempted to install this game, but it's a big install for a benchmark that I'll only run a few times.

Caporegime
This patch has actually made me play the game a bit (I was sort of waiting for it)

I'd done Chapter one when it was first released, but then I started playing Resident Evil 4 and Titanfall.

Anyway, I was doing the sidequests last night that you get before Chapter 2, and earned enough to level up a few skills and afford the wrench tool to make stealthing around easier.

Game is actually pretty good. I am going for a complete non-confrontational run and so far so good. Haven't even knocked anyone out other than in the prologue (when you have to)

Associate
@SieB,

What did you use to capture the Mantle result?

Had to do a bit of a work around. If you press ALT+Enter it will put the game in window mode.

What I did was put the game in window mode and then use Bandicam to record video using the rectangle capture mode option and set to record at full screen. Then I took a screenshot of the results from the video.

I made this video a while ago on Battlelog to show how to record Mantle gameplay for BF4 but it will work the same for any Mantle game as long as it running in a window and not fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0siP83KgSIo

I'm going to take a guess and say print screen. :D

Unfortunately printscreen or afterburner don't work with Mantle, only way I know how to capture video or screenshots with Mantle is with Bandicam.

Last edited:
Soldato
Loving Thief so far. Not quite as Linear some people making out. Just on Chapter 3 and you in a little town the is a mask in the shop window. All around this area you can explore and find things. Just spend good hour looking about here lol

TrueAudio is simply Stunning no question about it. The audio positioning is spot on.
I did have one issue so far on a cut scene not sure if this is TA but the Audio was out of sync for little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom