*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Real unusual one today, now getting a "Communication with controller is partially degraded" message showing on the controller for my USG & 24 Port PoE 250w, the switch is connected directly to the controller and USG.

An identical 24 Port PoE 250w is connected to the main switch and has no error. No idea why it's coming up with this, I've not made any changes to the setup prior to this, since I've tried restarting the devices and changing Ethernet cables, I'm running the beta firmware/controller (4.4.22.5086045 & 3.9.42.9152 respectively) and with controller software 5.9.4.0.

There is no loss of functionality across the network so I'm inclined to think it's beta firmware/software related. I'm not overly worried about it but wondered if anyone else has this random issue.
Quoting myself here, I finally had some time to look further into this fault. I suspect although only around six hours have passed that it was a glitch with the controller software. I have a backup that runs daily at 01:00, I uninstalled the controller software, reinstalled with the same beta (5.9.4.0), restored to the backup from earlier today and now no exclamation marks shown on the devices page.

Soldato
I'm looking for advice on how best to possibly deploy a Ubiquiti install in my bungalow.

When I purchased my home I did a lot of work to it including installing CAT6 cabling (24 ports) with a Network Rack in my Garage. CAT6 points are punched down to a patch panel and in-turn are connected to a 24 Port HP Procuve unmanaged GB switch.
I have Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (80/20) which comes into my BT master socket in my living room. The BT vDSL modem connects back to the garage where my ASUS AC66U router sits as well.

oZTaCKg.jpg

This is a photo of my install prior to it being finished as my Drobo NAS sits on the shelve below and the switch and patch panel are both full to capacity. What I like is some advice as to the best way to deploy Unifi as my Wifi reception in my bedrooms at the back of the house isn't great.

I know I'll need the rack mount USG to replace my ASUS router and a rack mount Unfi Switch, to supply POE to the Unifi AP's.

My main question is could I just buy a 16 port Unifi switch to run the AP's and just uplink it to my existing 24 port HP Procurve, or would I be better to replace the unmanaged 24 port HP Procurve with a 24 Port Unifi Switch along with a separate 16 Port Unifi switch to run the AP's and provide future network expansion?

Also how many Unifi AP's would I need, my house is about 112sqm and a modern timber frame construction?

Soldato
There is a rackmount for the entry USG so don't need to get the higher spec model.

I would get the 24 port UniFi switch and either use APs with PoE injector or also grab an 8 port PoE switch, the cheaper unit does 4 PoE ports which should be more than enough for AP coverage.

Look at either the AC Pro, LR, HD or Lite depending on your needs.

EDIT: don't forget a cloud key which is also PoE ;) unless you use the free 3yr cloud based controller or run your own.

Soldato
I'm looking for advice on how best to possibly deploy a Ubiquiti install in my bungalow.

When I purchased my home I did a lot of work to it including installing CAT6 cabling (24 ports) with a Network Rack in my Garage. CAT6 points are punched down to a patch panel and in-turn are connected to a 24 Port HP Procuve unmanaged GB switch.
I have Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (80/20) which comes into my BT master socket in my living room. The BT vDSL modem connects back to the garage where my ASUS AC66U router sits as well.

oZTaCK

This is a photo of my install prior to it being finished as my Drobo NAS sits on the shelve below and the switch and patch panel are both full to capacity. What I like is some advice as to the best way to deploy Unifi as my Wifi reception in my bedrooms at the back of the house isn't great.

I know I'll need the rack mount USG to replace my ASUS router and a rack mount Unfi Switch, to supply POE to the Unifi AP's.

My main question is could I just buy a 16 port Unifi switch to run the AP's and just uplink it to my existing 24 port HP Procurve, or would I be better to replace the unmanaged 24 port HP Procurve with a 24 Port Unifi Switch along with a separate 16 Port Unifi switch to run the AP's and provide future network expansion?

Also how many Unifi AP's would I need, my house is about 112sqm and a modern timber frame construction?

It's kind of hard too say how many AP's you will need but since that one ASUS Router almost does it you might get away with one centrally mounted in the home it kind of depends on the shape of your house. As said a USG 3p would do the job but would leave you with no headroom if you have all the options turned on such as IPS and DPI.

Soldato
There is a rackmount for the entry USG so don't need to get the higher spec model.

I would get the 24 port UniFi switch and either use APs with PoE injector or also grab an 8 port PoE switch, the cheaper unit does 4 PoE ports which should be more than enough for AP coverage.

Look at either the AC Pro, LR, HD or Lite depending on your needs.

EDIT: don't forget a cloud key which is also PoE ;) unless you use the free 3yr cloud based controller or run your own.

It's kind of hard too say how many AP's you will need but since that one ASUS Router almost does it you might get away with one centrally mounted in the home it kind of depends on the shape of your house. As said a USG 3p would do the job but would leave you with no headroom if you have all the options turned on such as IPS and DPI.

To keep my install silent..

I used
USG3
Unifi Switch 24 (non Poe)
Unifi Switch 8-60w
AC Pro

There isn’t an official one. They specifically don’t want any of the passively cooled units being stacked in racks so they don’t offer rack mount kits.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thanks for the info about using the standard USG. After doing some googling it looks like ubiquiti don't recommend to rack mount the standard USG due to needing to be passively cooled apparently, anyone else heard that? I found the third party rack kit for it though. Would I be better just to buy a setup similar to bledd and just put the USG and an 8 port 8-60w switch on a shelve in the rack?

Here is the floor plan to my bungalow to give you an idea about layout. The rack is marked in red, I was considering possibly using 2 AP's at either end or side of the house to provide good coverage throughout. The AP's will need to have new Cat6 ran to their locations as I have no capacity available currently. Any advice as to the best location would be great.

JPGSvIS.png

Associate
I've got my ER-8 set up with three networks, one for the house, one for the office and one for our holiday let, I've enabled QoS to manage everything and it's working well.

Our connection is 300/50Mbps, I would like to limit the speed of one of the Holiday Let to a maximum of 80/15Mbps if possible. Is there a way to do that?

Associate
I've got my ER-8 set up with three networks, one for the house, one for the office and one for our holiday let, I've enabled QoS to manage everything and it's working well.

Our connection is 300/50Mbps, I would like to limit the speed of one of the Holiday Let to a maximum of 80/15Mbps if possible. Is there a way to do that?

Assuming the Edgerouters have the same option as Unifi. Create a user group for Holiday, set the bandwidth limits then assign that user group to that network.

Soldato
Hi guys, a awesome guy has gave me a AP-AC-LR, so now I have 2. I have set this 1 up to communicate to the other 1 wireless, so I have 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs now. But I cant for the life of me get devices to connect to it automatically, even when im close to it, but I can connect manually. Im using the same SSIDS and password on both, but I just cannot get devices to connect to it automatically, everything connects to the other one and stays connected to that one

Soldato
Hi guys, a awesome guy has gave me a AP-AC-LR, so now I have 2. I have set this 1 up to communicate to the other 1 wireless, so I have 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs now. But I cant for the life of me get devices to connect to it automatically, even when im close to it, but I can connect manually. Im using the same SSIDS and password on both, but I just cannot get devices to connect to it automatically, everything connects to the other one and stays connected to that one

Are you running a controller?

Soldato
If you mean the windows software, yes the latest version.... I have just tried again, adjusting some more settings, but no nothing will connect to the 2nd AP automatically and Im running out of ideas now.

Soldato
Fluctuates between 95 and 101MB/Second. Storage medium is probably the limiting factor more than the connection when it comes to holding 100MB/Sec. Drops a little with high disk activity then recovers. Probably would be more stable downloading to my SSD.

As I predicted speeds have gone back down to normal...

7606944645.png

I did the 10 Gio file download from http://proof.ovh.net/files/ and got a speed of 25.1 MB/s over Ethernet and 24.6 MB/s over WIFI. Might as well use my WIFI adapter I paid £ 54.32 for it and it only adds 1ms to my ping times. No cables anymore to the router which was a bit messy.

Soldato
I have no idea what I did, but everything seems to be working like it should be now,,, all devices upstairs are connected to the wireless ap upstairs and all devices downstairs are connected to the wired AP downstairs. I will give it a few days of testing before mounting it on the ceiling because atm its just on the floor....A very big thankyou to WJA96 for sorting me out, hopefully I wont have any more problems now.

Top wireless LR AP

Bottom wired LR AP

Its amazing how many wireless devices we have in the home

1ya6h4.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
This might be a dumb question but, how do you run the controller after it has been installed? If I use the shortcut it creates, it just gives me a file "ace.jar".

Soldato
This might be a dumb question but, how do you run the controller after it has been installed? If I use the shortcut it creates, it just gives me a file "ace.jar".
There are various ways to install and run the controller. You'll need to be more specific about what you've done.

Back
Top Bottom