*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I'm having one of those days when even the simplest of tasks is getting the better of me.

Ok can someone explain port forwarding. As in I have now set port forwarding up 192.xxx.x.xx:xxxx in my cloud controller for my Synology nas. But what do I put into my browser to access it. it cant be that IP address surely its not unique (it is on my system but cant be worldwide) Why isn't this making any sense.........

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
What port did you forward? It will be the external port you selected with your external IP.

So if you forward 8080 to 192.168.0.45 and the internal port 8080, you can then access from your public IP, i.e. 185.55.03.01:8080 (random IP I made up

Edit - as below, I'd be wary of opening up a NAS to the wider world.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm having one of those days when even the simplest of tasks is getting the better of me.

Ok can someone explain port forwarding. As in I have now set port forwarding up 192.xxx.x.xx:xxxx in my cloud controller for my Synology nas. But what do I put into my browser to access it. it cant be that IP address surely its not unique (it is on my system but cant be worldwide) Why isn't this making any sense.........

What reason are you potentially opening up your NAS to the whole internet for, doesnt sound like the best / safest idea to me?

If this is internal you shouldnt port forwarding even if you are running multiple internal subnets, would be massive overkill on a home network and simple routing between nets should be enough.

Associate
Sorry, it’s using the Windows version of the controller.

I’ll check this later on, when I’m back from work.
Read a post on the Ubiquiti forum that suggested typing javaw.exe -jar "C:\Users\xxxxx\Ubiquiti UniFi\lib\ace.jar" ui (where xxxxx is my username) in a command prompt, which worked and started the controller. Surely I don't have to do this everytime I want to use the controller?

I did see that the shortcut that the installer had created was trying to open ace.jar with Firefox rather than with Java, so changed that but it still doesn't work. Just get a window briefly appear.

Soldato
Read a post on the Ubiquiti forum that suggested typing javaw.exe -jar "C:\Users\xxxxx\Ubiquiti UniFi\lib\ace.jar" ui (where xxxxx is my username) in a command prompt, which worked and started the controller. Surely I don't have to do this everytime I want to use the controller?

I did see that the shortcut that the installer had created was trying to open ace.jar with Firefox rather than with Java, so changed that but it still doesn't work. Just get a window briefly appear.

I was under the (obviously incorrect) assumption that the controller was, in effect, a service and it is always accessed through Unifi.ubnt.com, it just so happens that the controller is running on your PC, Cloud Key, Raspberry Pi etc. But the control screen is always through Unifi.ubnt.com.

That’s the only way I’ve ever used it. It works with all controller versions.

Soldato
Currently I've got BT FTTC with a Huawei 612 via PPPoe to the USG, I'm considering the jump to Virgin Vivid 350 which is now available in my area (doesn't seem to be suffering from contention).

I'd don't want to do get involved in double NAT etc, I presume you can put the SH3 into "modem mode" or similar, anybody get any experience.

Soldato
Now that's a tricky one. I've had Virgin in two different houses. In the first house it was pretty terrible - over subscribed and support were hopeless until I moaned at them on Twitter. In the second house the service was perfect. With Virgin when it's good, it's very good but when it's bad you're doomed!

Why not run both for a while (you can connect both WANs into the USG) and decide from there? I believe Virgin will let you cancel if the service is poor, I got out of a contract in the first house without any trouble.

Soldato
What port did you forward? It will be the external port you selected with your external IP.

So if you forward 8080 to 192.168.0.45 and the internal port 8080, you can then access from your public IP, i.e. 185.55.03.01:8080 (random IP I made up

Edit - as below, I'd be wary of opening up a NAS to the wider world.

What reason are you potentially opening up your NAS to the whole internet for, doesnt sound like the best / safest idea to me?

If this is internal you shouldnt port forwarding even if you are running multiple internal subnets, would be massive overkill on a home network and simple routing between nets should be enough.

Cheers guys. I WAS going to port forward as the DS cam app suggests it for better live streaming of the CCTV's However After reading what you wrote I'll put up with it being a little slow.

Soldato
With Virgin when it's good, it's very good but when it's bad you're doomed!

Yeah I was NTL in Cambridge "back in the day" on 50Mbps (probably 15+ years ago), 99% of the time it was rock solid, on the times it wasn't you just had to "wait" for it to come back, calling support was pointless and just plain frustrating ;)

I can get Vivid 350 for less that I'm currently paying for my FTTC but knowing my luck I know for some reason Virgin will be **** and I will rue the day I ever switched, oh I'm so conflicted.

Soldato
I guess the question I would ask myself is if I needed the extra bandwidth and cost saving. I know I'd like both but if bandwidth isn't an issue at present and the cost saving is minimal I'd stay put.

Nah, who am I kidding. I'd go for extra bandwidth each and every time.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I had 200mbit, never fully utilised it but convinced myself I needed 350mbit. I'm in zone 3 and get the full lot any time of day. Completely pointless for me but of course I need it. Right?

Soldato
I had 200mbit, never fully utilised it but convinced myself I needed 350mbit. I'm in zone 3 and get the full lot any time of day. Completely pointless for me but of course I need it. Right?

The first time you download something REALLY big, like a copy of Delphi or a full MAC OS reset install - something over 10Gb you do really notice the speed. Most of the time you don’t really notice the difference between 76Mbps and 350Mbps because the TV or whatever you’re stuffing that speed into can’t handle the extra bandwidth anyway.

There’s a big thread on the Unifi forums at the moment about how you can actually check your line speeds and throughputs because it seems a lot of folks can’t measure the difference between 100Mbps and 1Gbps.

Back
Top Bottom