*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Currently I've got BT FTTC with a Huawei 612 via PPPoe to the USG, I'm considering the jump to Virgin Vivid 350 which is now available in my area (doesn't seem to be suffering from contention).

I'd don't want to do get involved in double NAT etc, I presume you can put the SH3 into "modem mode" or similar, anybody get any experience.
Has the firmware fix for the SH3 to fix the latency been fully released now?

Man of Honour
I managed to lock myself out of my main switch earlier, no idea what I did. It dropped off from the controller and I couldn't do a factory reset, until I disconnected all of the cables. Highly annoying!

Soldato
Anyone had any success mixing those WIFI extender sockets into a unifi based network?

I've a few blackspots as it's an old house and my original plan to use powerline adaptors to Unifi AP's is looking less ideal as i'm getting pretty poor speeds over powerline in the new house compared to my previous one (running cable isn't possible)

Also i presume they work just by bouncing wifi around rather than using the electric wiring to send signals to each other?

Soldato
So both my AC pro AP are saying disconnected in the controller (I'm using the cloud controller) But they are still working and my wifi is fine???

I'm also getting the below email a few times a day

Device name: 8 Port POE Switch

Site: My House

Message: Switch[f0:9f:c2:09:57:8d] event: { "event_string" : "EVT_SW_StpPortBlocking" , "port_idx" : "2"}

Google suggests a possible loop or Sonos

Odd that it should happen all of a sudden though

Any ideas

Soldato
Is there an AP plugged into port 2 on the 8 port PoE switch? Check if you have wireless uplinking enabled and disable it if you have and don't need it.

Sonos kit may cause the same problem - have you got any Sonos stuff? If so, how is it connected? I have zero problems with mine which are all connected wirelessly.

Soldato
SONOS is a pain as although they state they work with RSTP it causes issues due to the port cost changes between STP and RSTP, if you have SONOS equipment then its better to run STP.

I have sent a feature request to Ubiquiti to have a switch port profile option to set manual port cost, this would enable us to have a SONOS profile with manual port costs and also run RSTP without issue.

Soldato
More STP woes with Ubiquiti, a simple thing like disabling STP on port is not possible through the controller :(

Have an issue with some PoE IP Cams where STP is blocking the ports, no idea why will have to dig deeper, I can temp fix it by disabling STP via the command line, but surely this should be an option within the controller under switch port configuration.

These are the manual steps :-

1. SSH into the switch
2. telnet 127.0.0.1
3. enable
3. configure
4. interface 0/x
5. no spanning-tree port mode
6. exit | exit
7. write memory

Not checked if this survives a reboot of the switch, I am guessing not.

Soldato
Has anyone had a Ubnt PoE injector fail? I recently bought an AP-AC-Lite to go into our DR data cente but no matter what I do I can't get a link on the LAN side of the PoE injector. I've used different cables, different switch ports and different switches but I don't even get a link.

I've got spares at home, but that's a 3 hour round trip from here so it'll have to wait until my next visit.

Edit - Yep, it's a faulty injector. To make things just a little more fun I can't find any at home, I should have 3 of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've made some network changes which meant I needed a new switch. Said switch has a UAP-AC-LR on it with PoE injector, so I decided to splash out on Ubiquiti switch, the US-8-60w to be precise, thinking that in future I might be able to put my other AP's onto it too.

I have 2 x LR's purchased about 2 years ago and a Lite in the garage purchased late last year. One thing I didn't count on was Ubiquiti moving away from passive PoE to 802.3af. Plugged it in and set it up and couldn't work out why the LR AP didn't power up, eventually I realised that mine is older and not 802.3af as the UBNT site says.

I had to swap it out with the Lite from the garage. Just remembered I didn't change the injector in the garage, as it's I assume it supports passive and PoE?

Associate
I've made some network changes which meant I needed a new switch. Said switch has a UAP-AC-LR on it with PoE injector, so I decided to splash out on Ubiquiti switch, the US-8-60w to be precise, thinking that in future I might be able to put my other AP's onto it too.

I have 2 x LR's purchased about 2 years ago and a Lite in the garage purchased late last year. One thing I didn't count on was Ubiquiti moving away from passive PoE to 802.3af. Plugged it in and set it up and couldn't work out why the LR AP didn't power up, eventually I realised that mine is older and not 802.3af as the UBNT site says.

I had to swap it out with the Lite from the garage. Just remembered I didn't change the injector in the garage, as it's I assume it supports passive and PoE?

The 802.3af AP's have a sticker on the box indicating that they are as such. Hindsight - Should have got the US-8-150W, does both.

Soldato
The 802.3af AP's have a sticker on the box indicating that they are as such. Hindsight - Should have got the US-8-150W, does both.

Yea I saw that, but it's quite a bit more expensive and even more overkill. I could have easily used a £20 switch and kept the injector but I also wanted to have a play with a Unifi switch. It is a nice well built piece of kit.

My network change was a new pfsense router, decided not to go with a Ubiquit router, despite the fancy graphs.

Soldato
You can get a PoE injector that'll let you power your 24v passive devices from an 802.3af switch port. The part number is INS-3AF-I-G.

I picked one up when I got a freebie 24 port switch from Ubnt that doesn't do 24v passive.

Soldato
You can get a PoE injector that'll let you power your 24v passive devices from an 802.3af switch port. The part number is INS-3AF-I-G.

I picked one up when I got a freebie 24 port switch from Ubnt that doesn't do 24v passive.

Oh nice, thanks for this. I'll stick as I am for now but in the future if I move and can plug all the APs into the switch then I get get two of these and my problems will be solved :)

Back
Top Bottom