*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yea, the 3AF-I-G is great, my AP-ACs are the older passive devices, so partner with my us-8-60w, the injectors have been great and saves me a couple of extra plugs sockets, too.

Soldato
Just an little update. Looks like my two AP's disconnected from the controller during and update was causing one of my switches to send that error... A quick power cycle brought everything back online and was able to run update

In future when I get the message that all the equipment can be upgraded is there a specific order to them

USG
24 port switch
8 port switch
2 AP's

Cheers

Associate
Just an little update. Looks like my two AP's disconnected from the controller during and update was causing one of my switches to send that error... A quick power cycle brought everything back online and was able to run update

In future when I get the message that all the equipment can be upgraded is there a specific order to them

USG
24 port switch
8 port switch
2 AP's

Cheers

I updated my access points and switch to 4.0.0 formwares. I updated my wirelessly connected UAP-AC-Lite first and let it reconnect, 2nd to update was UAP-AC-PRO that is wired into my USW-8-150 switch. Then the switch was updated 4.0.0 as well. My USG is running 4.4.29 and that was updated on firmware release day last week. Controller is 5.9.29 running on Cloudkey 1st gen running image 0.11.12. All seems to doing well, and no complaints so far.

Soldato
Hi guys,
A friend of mine has just given me an ERL3, just wanted to run through quickly what the best steps are in terms of getting this setup.

1) Put SuperHub3 into Modem mode, Turn off SH3.
2) Connect to ERL3, run through the wizard and setup Eth0 as WAN and DHCP, the other two ports as just LAN. Reboot ERL3.
3) Turn on SH3, the ERL3 should pull in an IP.
4) Plug in rPI (pi-hole) into one of the LAN's and find the ERL3 settings to set the DNS address (IP of rPI) to hand out via DHCP.
5) Plug in AP to provide WiFi.
6) Reboot both the SH3 and the ERL3 and the ERL3 should pick up an IP from the SH3 (now a modem) and I should be rocking and rolling?

Have I missed any steps?

Soldato
Hi guys,
A friend of mine has just given me an ERL3, just wanted to run through quickly what the best steps are in terms of getting this setup.

1) Put SuperHub3 into Modem mode, Turn off SH3.
2) Connect to ERL3, run through the wizard and setup Eth0 as WAN and DHCP, the other two ports as just LAN. Reboot ERL3.
3) Turn on SH3, the ERL3 should pull in an IP.
4) Plug in rPI (pi-hole) into one of the LAN's and find the ERL3 settings to set the DNS address (IP of rPI) to hand out via DHCP.
5) Plug in AP to provide WiFi.
6) Reboot both the SH3 and the ERL3 and the ERL3 should pick up an IP from the SH3 (now a modem) and I should be rocking and rolling?

Have I missed any steps?

Pretty much right apart from using the LAN port"s" on the ERL. The ports are not switched so any traffic going between them hits the CPU. You'd be better going out of a LAN port and into a switch.

Soldato
Not sure how I lived without these bad boys.

Just got the pair to replace my N66U that I was using purely as an access point.

Don't take this image as an exact replica of my coverage. The top and ground floor obviously aren't placed side by side like that.
2pmuoz4.png

Ars did a better review than I ever could: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...-realize-how-terrible-consumer-wi-fi-gear-is/

For me moving from a dual band 2.4/5GHz router to just the 2.4GHz versions was a no brainier. The walls in my 100 year old house just stop 5GHz dead and even the perfect placement under the stairs on the ground floor (slap bang in the middle of the house) wasn't enough to make it usable - unless you were under the stairs next to it :)

I've always said that I'd never use extenders as I've never seen it work correctly. Best solution with consumer grade stuff has always been to just name them differently so you can manually select which hotspot to use. But these things allow you to move between them flawlessly.

Even when I make a FaceTime call I'm able to walk from ground to top floor and have it switch in the background without dropping more than a second or two of video.

Even disconnecting the AP I'm connected to results in a seamless switch.

Love it and highly recommend them (after 48 hours of usage...)

How did you get the maps working - My controller says something about requiring access to Google API? Did you just draw your floorplan?

Soldato
I am still on v5.8 of the controller software using a cloud key, where are people getting the newer software or when is due to be released for cloud key users?

Soldato
Pretty much right apart from using the LAN port"s" on the ERL. The ports are not switched so any traffic going between them hits the CPU. You'd be better going out of a LAN port and into a switch.
Cheers, makes sense. Will plug my AP and rPI into a switch then run the switch to a LAN port on the ERL.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
How did you get the maps working - My controller says something about requiring access to Google API? Did you just draw your floorplan?

I'm on the older version and it works for me but for ages it wouldn't then randomly one day it just worked.

Soldato
Received my Access Points and Cloud Key today and my POE Switch should be here tomorrow.
I am intending on just turning the wireless off my Sky Q hub and plugging it into the Switch... any issues here? Should I deffo be getting the USG?

Soldato
Received my Access Points and Cloud Key today and my POE Switch should be here tomorrow.
I am intending on just turning the wireless off my Sky Q hub and plugging it into the Switch... any issues here? Should I deffo be getting the USG?

You can run like that, you can just run the APs or just a switch or just the USG but they do all work very nicely together, I would install what you have and then decide if you want to switch over to the USG as well.

Soldato
I am still on v5.8 of the controller software using a cloud key, where are people getting the newer software or when is due to be released for cloud key users?

5.8.x is the latest stable release of this software.

I’m still running 5.7.x on many systems and I don’t advise anyone to upgrade unless they need a particular feature. 5.8.x only really added remapping the USG WAN and LAN ports plus better VPN handling. 5.9.x may well be a whole new architecture but it actually adds very few new features. Mainly it just looks different.

The only features I will push an upgrade for right now would be multi-WAN fixed IP addresses and switching off NAT from the controller.

Likewise, on firmware I’m generally 2-3 generations behind the latest and greatest simply because I need it all to work. Every single time. If you read the posts on the UBNT forums regarding the 4.4.28 update on the USG you can easily see why it can be better to let someone else install the newest and run it before you install it yourself.

Soldato
If you read the posts on the UBNT forums regarding the 4.4.28 update on the USG you can easily see why it can be better to let someone else install the newest and run it before you install it yourself.

Interesting, latest version is 4.4.29 which is what I am running and its been fine for me, what issues were people having with 4.4.28?

Soldato
Interesting, latest version is 4.4.29 which is what I am running and its been fine for me, what issues were people having with 4.4.28?

The USG would sometimes go into a reboot cycle if you had routine Speedtests programmed, and they would drop off the network without warning and required a physical reboot to get them running again. It affected a lot of people who had auto-update turned on. If your internet is just a hobby, why not run bleeding edge beta software? But for what us supposedly a really robust system, 4.4.28 showed up how poor the firmware launch QA was.

Soldato
Anyone have any thoughts on whether to go for the Pro or the NanoHD?

Seems to be differing reports on whether they have different use cases or if the Nano is really a Pro replacement because it’s Wave 2.

Soldato
Clearly it’s not a like-for-like replacement and I wouldn’t view it as a replacement, more of an upgraded product line. UBNT do not tend to drop product lines as customers like to be able to replace existing kit with like-for-like swaps as it massively reduces complexity.

The Nano HD is the access point we currently specify on all domestic/small office builds because it will handle anything anyone can currently throw at it. That said, unless you have 4x4 clients you won’t see much of a benefit on 3x3 clients and mixing 2x2 and 3x3 clients will still cause the whole system to fall back to 2x2.

I’ve never really been a fan of the Pro. I like the LR and now I like the Nano HD. For me, if you’re buying new, buy a Nano HD. If you already have an access point I wouldn’t upgrade it.

Soldato
Anyone have any guides to setting up a VPN using the USG?

My thinking is to have 2 networks. One for most devices and then a separate network which will get "VPN'd". I see that Express VPN do have some apps for Windows/Fire TV's, but it would be nice to do it centrally. I just accept i have no idea how to.

Back
Top Bottom