*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So I been having a lot of issues with my BT Smart hub recently where it doesn't seem to be coping very well with having a reasonable number of devices so am considering going to Ubiquiti route in the new year in order to address this and to get a better view/control of what is going on on the network.

Currently, I have a the aforementioned BT Smarthub, a HP 1810g-24 managed switch and 2* Netgear 8 port unmanaged switches. The Hub has 2 SSIDs configured, one of 2.4ghz for things like smart bulbs and plugs and one of 5ghz for more important things. I'm also using a BT WiFi extender on 5ghz acting as a bridge to connect a system into the network which is awkwardly positioned.

I'm assuming a USG (with a H612 V3) and roughly a like for like for switches I'm not really sure what AP to go for, (relatively small 3 bed modern semi so maybe a Lite?), and where to fit it (landing ceiling? Although most of the WiFi usage is downstairs so I'm not sure if that is ok). I understand that the APs use poe so I would assume I need some injectors rather than Poe switches due to cost and potential positioning of APs relative to switches.

Soldato
If you can fit it on the landing ceiling I would think you’d get good coverage on the ground floor. The general rule of thumb on the Unifi forums is no more than 1 wall/floor/ceiling between access point and client. I generally try to find two spots equidistant from the centre of the property and put the APs in the ceiling there.

Unifi APs are no better than your BT HomeHub in terms of coverage but they do scale well and if you want to add another one, you literally just install it and adopt it and it’s done.

If you can stretch to it, the AP-AC-LR is better than the AP-AC-Lite and if you’re thinking Pro, spend the extra £25 and get the AP-HD-Nano which is a MUCH better access point and has finally reached stable firmware.

Associate
I was considering exactly those models, then found the Unifi In-Wall HD. Has multiple network ports too. Just waiting for it to come in stock somewhere... Might also be worth considering depending on your desired use case.

Soldato
Yes, I love the in-wall units. The only downside is that it’s really hard to flush-mount them unless you cut the plasterboard. If you can sink the backbox into the wall then they’re great. Where I’ve used a surface-mount backbox I’ve been less happy because you need at least a 30mm depth box to avoid over-bending the RJ45 connector and that means it all sticks out quite a bit.

The AP-Inwall-HD looks excellent with 4 switched ports (one of which is PoE) but the pricing looks fairly unattractive at the moment. I’ll wait and see if it drops once it’s out.

Associate
Yeah, the price isn't great compared to their other devices but I think most that have gone the ubiquiti route can afford a few extra $. Personally i'm waiting until I know it will support WPA3, then will replace my Apple AP's. Already have switch & USG.

Associate
Hi All..
iv gotten to the point with my network setup at home that it needs to be upgraded. Its a mix and match of Kit that's grown over the years but the main switch is starting to get flaky and requiring reboots every week or it forgets on what to do with packets, Its also Out of Warranty.

Background
2 x Synology Nas's (1x10GbE Not used currently) both currently 4x1GbE
2 x VM hosts 4 x 1GbE (1 is 10GbE Capable)
4 x IP Cams POE - More may be added but not more than 2.
2 x Access points POE
2 x hard wired Computers
1 x SatIP Server
4 x WIFI IOT (Vland off)
3 x Hard Wired IOT (Vland Off)
10 x WIFI devices

Main switch is currently 24 Ports POE in the loft, Half to three quarters are in use.
also 2 more 8 port switches downstairs fed from the loft using dual Links. Both have 6 ports in use(Excluding uplinks), but there are not enough link backs to loft to get rid of them.

Im looking to move the one of the Synology boxes and one vm host to 10GbE (MAYBE) as the Synology box does all of our Recorded tv via SATiP server and serves all the media in the house along with being a data store for the vm hosts. currently all 4 of the 1Gb links can get saturated and then we get data errors on the recordings from the SATiP Server.

been thinking of
48-Port Ubiquiti UniFi Managed Network Switch, 48x RJ45, 2x SFP+, 2x SFP - use the SFP+ for the Synology + 1 ESXI host.
Then get a 8 Port Ubiquiti PoE Gigabit Switch, 150W, 2 SFP ports - to do the POE and use the SFP ports as an uplink to the 48 Port.
The 48 port would be under utilized as i currently don't use all the ports on the 24 port switch but as more house works go on I would move more and more to it.
Shame Ubiquiti don't do a 24 port switch with 2 SFP+ ports.

Anyway works out cheaper than getting the 48 Port Ubiquiti UniFi 500W Managed PoE+ Network Switch, 48x PoE RJ45,2x SFP+, 2x SFP by about £200

So what do you recomend?

Cheers
Rob

Soldato
I’d get the US-48-500W. The price difference between the combination in the US-48 and the US-8-150 isn’t that much and the US-8-150W needs careful siting to avoid overheating and PoE failures. Or if you want 2 switches, spend the extra and get the US-16-150W.

Associate
Cheers
Im leaning more towards just the US-48-500W, but £200 saving by getting the two seems attractive. Although i did not know the US-8-150W suffers from over heating. Probably something i should avoid if its going to be in the loft.
I may also add the US-16 XG later as well as swapping out my current access points.
Iv seen https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008036574-UniFi-Access-Point-Comparison-Charts but still non the wiser on really which ones would be best suited for my application. thinking of just the AC Pro.

Does Ubiquiti stuff play nice with Vlans and other non ubiquiti switches or should i replace the 2 other 8 ports with US-8 's (non 150W) as well.

Soldato
If you’re swapping out your access points for UAP-XG then you don’t want the US-16-XG you want the US-XG-6 PoE which 10GbE PoE.

The US-8-150W will always run hot but if you stack it or put it in a warm place then yes, chances are it may start shutting down PoE ports.

Back
Top Bottom