*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I've got two sites in my controller somehow, the default one which I wish to keep and a second one. The second site has all of my config and devices. Is there a way to move it all into the default?

Soldato
I've got two sites in my controller somehow, the default one which I wish to keep and a second one. The second site has all of my config and devices. Is there a way to move it all into the default?

Nope. There can't be a lot to copy over (unless you've set up a USG).
I guess you could go all command-line-fu if you wanted and rename the corresponding folders into each others site ID's? I don't know how well that would work if at all but in theory it should.

Man of Honour
Nope. There can't be a lot to copy over (unless you've set up a USG).
I guess you could go all command-line-fu if you wanted and rename the corresponding folders into each others site ID's? I don't know how well that would work if at all but in theory it should.
I've got multiple switches, a USG, VLANs, OSPF etc, so pretty complex.

Associate
Hi all,

Similar to Type_R I'd like to get into Ubiquiti and I currently have a Virgin Super Hub 3.

From the research I've done (admittedly small) I thought I would need the following:

- USG
- Switch
- APs

From reading the posts above it reads like I shouldn't be getting the USG?

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Soldato
Hi all,

Similar to Type_R I'd like to get into Ubiquiti and I currently have a Virgin Super Hub 3.

From the research I've done (admittedly small) I thought I would need the following:

- USG
- Switch
- APs

From reading the posts above it reads like I shouldn't be getting the USG?

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

That depends on what you need it to do, getting 'into Ubiquiti' is a little vague and sounds like you have some sort or networking hardware fetish that would be on BBC3/C4. If it's just wifi issues, then buy an AP and install it centrally, no need for anything else, if not then tell us what you want to do.

Associate
That depends on what you need it to do, getting 'into Ubiquiti' is a little vague and sounds like you have some sort or networking hardware fetish that would be on BBC3/C4. If it's just wifi issues, then buy an AP and install it centrally, no need for anything else, if not then tell us what you want to do.

Sorry, I should have worded that better.

The Super Hub 3 (150Mbps connection) we have currently is in my office upstairs and my main PC is wired directly into it by ethernet.

Directly below my office is our living room. The TV/Apple TV have real issues streaming at times over the wireless connection and some times just connecting. My other half will often ask if I'm having any slow down or connection issues.

Periodically we just have to restart the hub for the wireless connection.

I'd like for the wireless connection to be more reliable and allow us to boost the WIFI connection around the house at various spots.

We do have quite a few smart devices (bulbs, thermostat, alexa etc.) along with phones and laptops also connecting to the hub which I would assume isn’t helping either.

Last edited:
Soldato
Slightly disappointed, the blokes who had sexual relations with cars and the woman who married/had sexual relations with the Eifel Tower was a documentary to remember :D

In that case i'd probably start with an AP, install it to test in the office and see how you get on - this will require you to run a cable with either a PoE injector or PoE switch (injector comes with the AP). A word of advice, IoT devices tend to be low bandwidth, 2.4Ghz is usually a better idea for them as it's penetration is better - given the documentary comment, that's possibly the wrong thing to say :D

Soldato
Hey guys
Setup a Unifi Lite AP, which is absolutely awesome. Took the stress off of my ASUS router for all my Google Home devices and the field for Wifi connectivity is tenfold.

Looking through the stats I see thousands of TX retries, is this something I should be bothered about?

thanks

Man of Honour
You won't have Layer2 discovery but you can do DNS hostname or SSH in to the AP and setting the inform address or you can DHCP option 43 it.
If anything it's better as it's free and you can tell your mother and brother how awesome UniFi is and run your controller for them as well.
It's free for 12 months, after that it's $9.50 (from memory) unless I'm mistaken?

Associate
Picked up one of these bad boys to replace my awful TP-Link router. Got a Ubiquiti wireless AP downstairs as well, which is working flawlessly.

IMG-20190427-185235.jpg

Soldato
Picked up one of these bad boys to replace my awful TP-Link router. Got a Ubiquiti wireless AP downstairs as well, which is working flawlessly.

IMG-20190427-185235.jpg

Be careful with upgrading to the 2.x.x firmware just now. A lot of people are getting issues resulting in bricked devices. I believe the latest one is mainly causing issues with the Edgerouter X varients though.

Back
Top Bottom