*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Can anyone suggest what router I should buy that works with the unifi controller?

Does the Amplifi router work with it?

What Unifi controller are you using, a desktop one or a cloud key? I avoided the USG like @Caged has already suggested - a few reviews will show that you can get much better if you don't mind not having everything under the one GUI. Take a look at the EdgeRouter X as an alternative:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £68.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Soldato
What Unifi controller are you using, a desktop one or a cloud key? I avoided the USG like @Caged has already suggested - a few reviews will show that you can get much better if you don't mind not having everything under the one GUI. Take a look at the EdgeRouter X as an alternative:

Total: £68.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
Thanks for your reply. I'm using it on a desktop for now. I'm not against getting a cloud key though.

Soldato

Total: £68.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Aside from saving a couple of pounds, I can see no reason to buy an EdgeRouter over a USG-3P. They’re both based on an outdated platform that isn’t being updated regularly anymore. A Netgate SG-1100, certainly, but not a first generation EdgeRouter.

Soldato
As WJA states, They are all overdue a refresh. An edgerouter can be handy if you require PoE ports without the use of injectors. With a USG, You will also need a switch, The Edgerouter can be configured to be one also.

Soldato
As WJA states, They are all overdue a refresh. An edgerouter can be handy if you require PoE ports without the use of injectors. With a USG, You will also need a switch, The Edgerouter can be configured to be one also.

They can be configured for PoE but most of them (live the ER-X listed above) are 24V PoE which will only power the AP-AC-Lite and AP-AC-LR, all the others need 48V PoE. And definitely don't plug anything that's not 24V Passive PoE into a live 24V passive PoE connection!

Soldato
They can be configured for PoE but most of them (live the ER-X listed above) are 24V PoE which will only power the AP-AC-Lite and AP-AC-LR, all the others need 48V PoE. And definitely don't plug anything that's not 24V Passive PoE into a live 24V passive PoE connection!
I've already got a POE switch set up, as well as multiple AC AP Pros. My main priority is getting a stand alone router that works with the Unifi Controller stuff that allows me to set up various QOS type things. Would the USG cover that? I've also seen a cheap Amplifi router (without the mesh adapters) how would that fare?

Soldato
I've already got a POE switch set up, as well as multiple AC AP Pros. My main priority is getting a stand alone router that works with the Unifi Controller stuff that allows me to set up various QOS type things. Would the USG cover that? I've also seen a cheap Amplifi router (without the mesh adapters) how would that fare?

A USG-3P will indeed do everything most users need. My only concern about buying one now is that effectively Unifi has stopped developing that platform and there is a new one coming through imminently.

Soldato
The UDM is the test platform for the new router. They’re quite happy with the controller, switches and access points but they need to test the router so the UDM allows them to iron out the basic issues with the router with a known access point, switch and controller version.

The shelved unit was the USG-HD which was the USG based on the EdgeRouter 4P but in testing it wasn’t fast enough to run IDS/IPS and QoS at the same time so they switched to a non-offloaded ARM processor and I would expect to see the Gen 2 USG in the EA Store in the next few weeks/months.

Soldato
The UDM is the test platform for the new router. They’re quite happy with the controller, switches and access points but they need to test the router so the UDM allows them to iron out the basic issues with the router with a known access point, switch and controller version.

The shelved unit was the USG-HD which was the USG based on the EdgeRouter 4P but in testing it wasn’t fast enough to run IDS/IPS and QoS at the same time so they switched to a non-offloaded ARM processor and I would expect to see the Gen 2 USG in the EA Store in the next few weeks/months.

Sounds good. I'll keep a look out for it.

Soldato

I can probably wait in that case. I'm guessing it'll be around the same price point?

Man of Honour
I've migrated my controller from the Cloud Key onto a Ubuntu VM, performance is much better and at least now I can snapshot it before upgrades and I have a full Veeam backup running against it. Why there's no option in the CKC to sync the backups with AWS/OneDrive/GD etc is beyond me, surely it can't be that hard to add in?

Soldato
The UDM is looking to be ~£300-ish if it launches so I would think the Gen 2 USG will be in the £150-£200 ballpark but it’s completely dreamware at this point. Until it appears on the EA store we won’t really know.
I've had a little look at the USG Pro 4s, and I'm considering one of those if I can find a used one. Do they have the same issue of not being supported/legacy as the USG3?

Last edited:
Associate
I've had a little look at the USG Pro 4s, and I'm considering one of those if I can find a used one. Do they have the same issue of not being supported/legacy as the USG3?
One thing to consider is the location of a USG 4 is how loud these are meant to be. Replacing the fans is a popular improvement, I did the same with the US-24-250W, to the extent of cutting out the quite restrictive vents.

Soldato
One thing to consider is the location of a USG 4 is how loud these are meant to be. Replacing the fans is a popular improvement, I did the same with the US-24-250W, to the extent of cutting out the quite restrictive vents.
Fortunately, I've got a little room I have all my networking hardware set up in, and I already have a Nortel Baystack 5520 48 port POE switch that makes a bit of noise by itself. I feel like a USG 4 Pro would still be drowned out by this thing.

Back
Top Bottom