*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So I've got the itch to get a new router (currently using the VM SH3 - which is rubbish!).

I'm considering ordering the Edgerouter ER-4 today (I realise it is expensive but reviews suggest it is fairly epic).

Any thoughts before I hit buy?

Soldato
What other UBNT kit do you have? The ER-4 is fine as far as it goes. I'm afraid I've lost all patience with UBNT to fix the issues with their routers. And I'm sure you're aware that the 3 LAN ports are all routed and not switched, so they can't be on the same subnet. If you're spending that sort of money I'd be looking at a Mikrotik RB4011iGS+RM which has ports that can be routed or switched and an SFP+ port to allow a 10GbE uplink.

Soldato
What other UBNT kit do you have? The ER-4 is fine as far as it goes. I'm afraid I've lost all patience with UBNT to fix the issues with their routers. And I'm sure you're aware that the 3 LAN ports are all routed and not switched, so they can't be on the same subnet. If you're spending that sort of money I'd be looking at a Mikrotik RB4011iGS+RM which has ports that can be routed or switched and an SFP+ port to allow a 10GbE uplink.

So currently running a VM SH3 - 500/35 connection wired to
Unifi 8 Port PoE switch wired to
AC LITE downstairs wired to
NanoHD upstairs
Using a Raspberry Pi as my controller for the network.

There doesn't seem to be much info out there with regards wired routers and their merits. I know the USG is due replacement (and honestly I could wait) but I feel like I want to try a new wired router so I can put the SH3 in modem mode.

Soldato
There is no doubt that if you bought a USG it would be a waste of money as once the new one comes out you'll never be able to sell it. But the ER-4 will still have a market after the new USG comes out so you could buy one now and then sell it and buy a USG Gen 2 if it looks good at launch.

You'll get very little additional functionality over what you have now either way. The ER-4 really flies with VPN tunnels so if that's important then that's a plus (but the RB4011 properly minces the ER-4 on VPN performance).

Soldato
There is no doubt that if you bought a USG it would be a waste of money as once the new one comes out you'll never be able to sell it. But the ER-4 will still have a market after the new USG comes out so you could buy one now and then sell it and buy a USG Gen 2 if it looks good at launch.

You'll get very little additional functionality over what you have now either way. The ER-4 really flies with VPN tunnels so if that's important then that's a plus (but the RB4011 properly minces the ER-4 on VPN performance).

Yeah I think VPN performance would be something I would be interested in.

Maybe I shall just wait for the USG2 to be released.

Soldato
Not really. It’s still in the EA Store. Once it disappears from there it should be 8 weeks to UK consumers. It’s not having an easy gestation though. Lots of issues which is surprising given that it’s not really new apart from the router aspect. And it’s no more functional at the moment than the old one because the controller is still the same.

It’s like watching someone try to cut their wrists with a blunt knife. Painful in every respect and yet incredibly unproductive.

Soldato
Anyone not hate the new Ubiquiti forums? WTF were they thinking? You can actually see Alpha posts if you click on the right tags.

Indeed, it’s incredibly frustrating.

Not really. It’s still in the EA Store. Once it disappears from there it should be 8 weeks to UK consumers. It’s not having an easy gestation though. Lots of issues which is surprising given that it’s not really new apart from the router aspect. And it’s no more functional at the moment than the old one because the controller is still the same.

It’s like watching someone try to cut their wrists with a blunt knife. Painful in every respect and yet incredibly unproductive.

The current USG is still a solid option for home, implemented one for a friend and just done mine now. Just a little bit of faff having to resort to CLI for a few bits but no bother overall.
No idea why they market it for businesses though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is there an update on when we'll see a new USG?
Don't buy anything from Ubiquiti based on a promise of a future feature. Evaluate the product as it exists currently.

Edit: Just realised this doesn't really work as a response to your post. But as a general point I stand by it.

Man of Honour
I think I am having some problems with one of my switches. Apart from /var/log/messages where else can I look for logging or signs of errors?

I'm getting this over and over in the log, port 7 is my Sky Q box.

Code:
Jun 18 08:10:49 TVSwitch860W daemon.notice switch: DOT1S: dot1sBpduReceive(): Invalid Forward Delay
Jun 18 08:10:49 TVSwitch860W daemon.err switch: DOT1S: dot1sBpduReceive(): Discarding the BPDU on port 0/7, since it is an invalid BPDU type
Jun 18 08:10:50 TVSwitch860W daemon.notice switch: DOT1S: dot1sBpduReceive(): Invalid Forward Delay
Jun 18 08:10:50 TVSwitch860W daemon.err switch: DOT1S: dot1sBpduReceive(): Discarding the BPDU on port 0/7, since it is an invalid BPDU type
Jun 18 08:10:51 TVSwitch860W daemon.notice switch: DOT1S: dot1sBpduReceive(): Invalid Forward Delay
Jun 18 08:10:51 TVSwitch860W daemon.err switch: DOT1S: dot1sBpduReceive(): Discarding the BPDU on port 0/7, since it is an invalid BPDU type

Man of Honour
@ChrisD. STP issue? Have you got RSTP enabled? (stab in the dark).
It does it with STP and RSTP. I haven't changed a single setting on that switch since the problem started.

Basically my Sonos Connect randomly stops playing music every 5 or so minutes for 20 odd seconds when connected to it, my Sky box and XBox intermittently say there's no internet and then it's working fine.

Code:
(UBNT) #show interface switchport

Packets Received Without Error................. 3208299
Broadcast Packets Received..................... 1428421
Packets Received With Error.................... 0
Packets Transmitted Without Errors............. 588827
Broadcast Packets Transmitted.................. 4875
Transmit Packet Errors......................... 0
Address Entries Currently in Use............... 31
VLAN Entries Currently in Use.................. 1
Time Since Counters Last Cleared............... 2 day 20 hr 5 min 45 sec

There's no RSTP/STP error, no erros on the interfaces and the message about BPDU type is the only thing I can see in the log. I've got a spare dumb switch I'm going to put in later on and see if it resolves the issue.

Soldato
The Sonos issue is well known and you need to make changes to the config to overcome that. I did try to link the appropriate fix from the Unifi forums but none of the links work anymore.

What firmware and controller are you running?

One challenge with the Unifi controller is because it controls EVERYTHING you don’t necessarily have to change anything on a particular screen tab (like a switch) for a controller update to break it anyway.

Soldato
I had loads of problems with my Sonos stuff when I moved to Ubiquiti access points. I disabled IGMP snooping which did make some improvement but didn't solve it. The next thing I did was create a new 2.4Ghz only network which all my Sonos stuff is on. Since then it's been perfect.

Man of Honour
I had loads of problems with my Sonos stuff when I moved to Ubiquiti access points. I disabled IGMP snooping which did make some improvement but didn't solve it. The next thing I did was create a new 2.4Ghz only network which all my Sonos stuff is on. Since then it's been perfect.
Wifi is perfect, it's wired to the Connect (plus XBox and Sky Q) that's the issue.

Soldato
Sonos sends data both wired and wireless and it effectively creates its own little loop so you need to shut off one or the other. I only run my Sonos wired and I’ve never had any issues. But to do that I’ve had to shut off the Sonos WiFi.

Back
Top Bottom