*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm on virgin media with the hub 3 and getting shocking wifi range with it. Was looking at getting in to this but just wanted to find out if I'm on the right path.

Was looking at buying the unify security gateway router, the us-8-150w 8 port unify Poe switch, the cloud key controller, and 1 nanoHd ap (uap-nanoHD)

Is this all I would need? Also what would be the best cable to run? And last would I be able to add more ap's in the future with this setup?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Seems overkill for a home set up. Why not start with just the AP and disable the WiFi on the VM hub. The AP comes a POE injector in the box and you can use an app to manage the AP on your phone.

Associate
Hi b0rn2sk8,

Thanks for getting back to me. To be honest wanted to get into this while I can. As will be looking at adding more ap’s in a couple of months. All I needed to know was can the 150w 8 port switch power the nanohd ap and would I be able to add more ap’s to it in the future. Also what would the best Ethernet to run?

Sorry to be a pain but really appreciate you getting back to me.

Soldato
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm on virgin media with the hub 3 and getting shocking wifi range with it. Was looking at getting in to this but just wanted to find out if I'm on the right path.

Was looking at buying the unify security gateway router, the us-8-150w 8 port unify Poe switch, the cloud key controller, and 1 nanoHd ap (uap-nanoHD)

Is this all I would need? Also what would be the best cable to run? And last would I be able to add more ap's in the future with this setup?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The USG probably won't be able to handle more than 80Mb if you use the "features" it has such as IPS, DPI and especially Smart QoS. You'd need at least a USG-Pro4 and even then I think they top out at around 250Mb.

USG routers are really behind the curve currently and they are desperately due an overhaul.

Associate
Hi the-evaluator,

Thanks for that. In regards to steveocee’s reply I’ve currently got virgin Media at 100mb download and about 6mb upload. Will be looking to upgrade to their 350mb package soon. Would the setup with the usg, switch, cloud key, and the nanohd be able to support those speeds? As per stevocee post I would only get around 80mb is that correct?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I've got VM 350, running in modem modem > USG, this feeds a US8 with an AP-AC-lite in the lounge, the US8 then feeds a US8-60w which is powering an AP-AC-lite, AP-AC-Mesh in the garden and then two other devices using PoE to USB adaptors.

I get the full 350mbit throughout the house and garden, but then I don't use IPS. I like having everything under the one controller (which I don't use a cloud key for, I have it hosted in docker on my synology).

Soldato
ALWAYS use non-overlapping channels. Even with non-overlapping channels there is some between and across band interference because of “skirts’ on the bandwidth. The access points use a wait-in-turn system and if they can hear cross-channel chatter it slows them up because they have to stop listening to everything before they can transmit. Non-overlapping channels reduces this to a minimum and speeds up transmission.

Soldato
So would I need to worry about not using the IDS/IPS feature? And the DPI. Also if I was going to use the Smart QoS would that kill my bandwidth?

To get anywhere near 350Mbit you will only be able to run DPI. The USG-3P is rated at 85Mbit with the IDS/IPS running activating Smart Queues would drop that even further.

Soldato
IPS/IDS isn’t worth the overhead. 99.9% of all the positives it generates are false and it can’t read anything on https either. Just get a USG-3P and let it run at near default settings (no Smart Queues, no IPS/IDS) and you’ll be completely secure and happy with the speed.

Soldato
ALWAYS use non-overlapping channels. Even with non-overlapping channels there is some between and across band interference because of “skirts’ on the bandwidth. The access points use a wait-in-turn system and if they can hear cross-channel chatter it slows them up because they have to stop listening to everything before they can transmit. Non-overlapping channels reduces this to a minimum and speeds up transmission.

Just as I thought, thanks.

I’ve got 3 APs funnily enough, so have set 2.4Ghz to 1, 6 and 11 on them.

Not sure about tackling 5GHz, but that’s far less of an issue.

Soldato
Just as I thought, thanks.

I’ve got 3 APs funnily enough, so have set 2.4Ghz to 1, 6 and 11 on them.

Not sure about tackling 5GHz, but that’s far less of an issue.

Again, you will get best absolute throughput on VHT20, and don’t use adjacent channels. Something like 36, 40, 44 will be fine. I try to stay off the DFS channels because the speed cameras in Greater Manchester seem to kill anything on DFS channels.

Soldato
IPS/IDS isn’t worth the overhead. 99.9% of all the positives it generates are false and it can’t read anything on https either. Just get a USG-3P and let it run at near default settings (no Smart Queues, no IPS/IDS) and you’ll be completely secure and happy with the speed.
Yeah I feel the same, I only run DPI and that’s only because of the pretty graphics.

Soldato
The USG probably won't be able to handle more than 80Mb if you use the "features" it has such as IPS, DPI and especially Smart QoS. You'd need at least a USG-Pro4 and even then I think they top out at around 250Mb.

USG routers are really behind the curve currently and they are desperately due an overhaul.

I switched from the USG3 to an EdgeRouter 4 for this very reason. If the Ubiquiti can release a new USG3 with at least the power of the EdgeRouter 4, I'll switch back.

Back
Top Bottom