*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Don’t touch Amplifi with a barge pole. It’s already on the ugly unloved child support list and I’ll be very surprised if it’s supported in the medium term. The UDM is rage device of the future with the new UBiOS. If you don’t need anything now, wait. But be aware that the UDM is a compromise device and won’t work as well for WLAN as a ceiling mounted Nano HD.

Thanks, the WLAN coverage isn't an issue as I don't need to cover a large area, it's more for the other features and reliability.

My current EE provided router actually gives decent wireless so anything else is likely to be a bonus.

Soldato
Quick question
About to plug in my second AP Lite.

Obviously I have to adopt it, but what is the best way to have the same SSID on both so a device can auto switch?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Thanks, the WLAN coverage isn't an issue as I don't need to cover a large area, it's more for the other features and reliability.

My current EE provided router actually gives decent wireless so anything else is likely to be a bonus.

Just be aware that currently the UDM does less than the current USG/switch/nano equivalent and isn’t exactly a paragon of reliability in its beta form. I love the look and size/packaging format, everything else is just a bit underwhelming. I have a UDM Pro in transit from the US at the moment, so hopefully that will be more what I’m after.

Associate
Hello

I need some help with my config of the UBNT Unfi / USG config. I have two mining rigs that I would like to separate from my main network and also the guest network for when we have guest staying. Also I think I also need to check the USG firewall config as this has not been touched since I've had it.

I'm kind of confused on how to do this etc following youtube videos etc. Any help would be appreciated. I can post a topology of the setup I have at the moment.

Soldato
You'll need to create the VLAN under networks first.
Then on your switch you need to assign the ports your mining rigs are into as access ports. That should be about it.

Why do you need to check the USG firewall config? What isn't it doing?

Associate
You'll need to create the VLAN under networks first.
Then on your switch you need to assign the ports your mining rigs are into as access ports. That should be about it.

Why do you need to check the USG firewall config? What isn't it doing?

Thank you for that, Reason I thought about checking firewall config is because I've not checked that since it was installed. Everything works but it was just a thought that as it not been configured except for factory settings

Soldato
Thank you for that, Reason I thought about checking firewall config is because I've not checked that since it was installed. Everything works but it was just a thought that as it not been configured except for factory settings

Standard firewall setup on the USG's is pretty OK. If there isn't anything you knowingly need to block then I'd advise leaving alone. I wouldn't say they a re "nice" to tinker with in that respect.

Caporegime
Newb question. How you port forward on a Unifi AP? I have the AP LR and the guides show me what to do but it says I need 'UniFi Security Gateway Required' which sounds like another piece of hardware. Surely not? I just want to open up 8096 for my Emby server.

Edit - got it working now I think :o. Once the HTPC was connected to WiFi, I took the IP address and forced Emby to use that, seems to work now.

Edit - the HTPC is right next to the AP LR and only getting ~80/11Mbps which seems slow for a 200 VM connection. I get ~200/20 with my phone standing next to it. I wonder if the WiFi receiver for the HTPC could do with an upgrade/is the bottleneck.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the wireless adapter on the PC only wireless N (300mbps thoretical max)? 80mbps sounds about right for a good 802.11 N signal.

You'll be able to tell on the AP because it will be connected to 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz.

Soldato
Newb question. How you port forward on a Unifi AP? I have the AP LR and the guides show me what to do but it says I need 'UniFi Security Gateway Required' which sounds like another piece of hardware. Surely not? I just want to open up 8096 for my Emby server.

You don't. Port forwarding is done on the router not the access point.

Caporegime
You don't. Port forwarding is done on the router not the access point.

Lol doh :o, thanks. I did do it on the VM SH3 as well so that must have helped.

Edit - the WiFi receiver for the HTPC is a BrosTrend 1200Mbps Long Range USB WiFi Dongle Adapter; Dual Band Wireless 5GHz/867Mbps so looks like it should be able to handle the throughput. Another speed test this morning got 120/14 so better but well off 200/20. And it's definitely connected on 5GHz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit - the HTPC is right next to the AP LR and only getting ~80/11Mbps which seems slow for a 200 VM connection. I get ~200/20 with my phone standing next to it. I wonder if the WiFi receiver for the HTPC could do with an upgrade/is the bottleneck.

The Unifi controller provides some quite good metrics for diagnosis of WLAN issues.

Find your client device (the HTPC or the phone) and click on the one you want to examine. There are three parts - the one you want is statistics. It shows which AP the device is connected to and what the AP thinks the signal strength is, and the TX/RX speeds as measured by the AP.

There is always some question as to how best to configure a client. With Wave1 access points the advice from most hardware vendors is to stick with VHT20 because it offers the best overall performance under ALL conditions with ALL access points. If you go with VHT40 or VHT80 then you do get a theoretical speed boost but the radio in the AP and the client have to work twice as hard because they have to process data twice or four times as fast. AND if you have a VHT20 client on the network the entire system runs at the speed of the slowest client and the VHT40/VHT80 clients have to keep resending data because they first ask the AP for a VHT40/VHT80 connection and the AP replies saying, "I can't do that right now because I have a VHT20 client attached at the moment." So the VHT40/VHT80 client hears that and says "OK, here's my data at VHT20".

So unless you know that ALL your clients are VHT40/VHT80/VHT160 then there is very little point with an AP-AC-LR because it can't do Mu-MiMo. An AP-AC-HD, -SHD or -HDNano are fine because they do the Mu-MiMO thing.

And if the AP really is right next to the client then with the antennae on the client (if it's the same as the one in the pictures on the website) it's probably blinding both devices by blasting out signal at full power.

I'm also assuming that the AP isn't fixed to the ceiling?

Caporegime
Thank you! Networking really isn't my strong point. You are correct, it's currently sat where the TV will go, I just need to get a long enough ethernet cable for it to be placed on the ceiling. Our living room is on the outer side of the house (road side) so would I be wise to actually place it more closely to the living room (still on the ceiling) door as that would be more central of the house?

Back
Top Bottom