*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Caporegime
I updated the controller now three of my devices are unable to connect everything else does.

I have 16 clients connected. I have tried to connect the other three multiple times with no success. I didn't need to do anything with the other 16 they automatically connected.

Any ideas?

Soldato
What sort of devices are they? Are they likely to be using 2.4GHz? There were many grumbles when Ubnt introduced automatic network optimisation and it pretty much killed connectivity for any 2.4GHz clients.

Go to settings, site and look for the 'Auto-optimize network' heading. If it's enabled, disable it.

Caporegime
What sort of devices are they? Are they likely to be using 2.4GHz? There were many grumbles when Ubnt introduced automatic network optimisation and it pretty much killed connectivity for any 2.4GHz clients.

Go to settings, site and look for the 'Auto-optimize network' heading. If it's enabled, disable it.

Yes it's a Sky Q UHD box and a nest Doorbell and a sky mini box.

However all my nest protects, nest thermostat work fine.

I also have a smart plug in the same room further away in the living room where the sky Q box is and that connects fine so I'm baffled as to why some are working fine with zero issues and others can't connect at all.

I will try your suggestion this evening.

Man of Honour
Anyone here running their controller on Ubuntu? The GUI says that there's an update, but apt says no.

EDIT

I've fixed it. The repo was disabled after an OS upgrade.

Caporegime
What I said could be the reason, the Nest doorbell is 2.4GHz only outside of the US. The Sky boxes should work on either band but they may be insistent on being on 2.4Ghz.

I tried disabling the 2.4ghz radio on the sky box using the engineers secret menu. It wouldn't find anything at all on 5ghz.

It found the ssid on 2.4ghz but refused to connect.

Soldato
Can you see what happens if you create a new 2.4Ghz only and 5GHz only network and see what the Sky boxes make of that. Some devices aren't keen on the same SSID being on both frequencies but generally it should work.

Edit - Did you disable the automatic network optimization stuff?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can you see what happens if you create a new 2.4Ghz only and 5GHz only network and see what the Sky boxes make of that. Some devices aren't keen on the same SSID being on both frequencies but generally it should work.

Edit - Did you disable the automatic network optimization stuff?

No I can't login to my controller as I'm not at home.

However I will create a seperate SSID for 5ghz first before disabling the auto optimisation. Then use auto optimisation as a secondary measure to see if that works.

Thanks for all your help. I will be home around 6:30PM and will try everything you have said so far then.

Soldato
I'd be inclined to try to auto optimisation stuff first, the symptoms you're seeing tie in with numerous reports I've seen on the Ubnt forum. I ahd problems when it was introduced as none of my smart home stuff would work but turnign the new feature off (and leaving it off) resolved it.

Associate
I'd be inclined to try to auto optimisation stuff first, the symptoms you're seeing tie in with numerous reports I've seen on the Ubnt forum. I ahd problems when it was introduced as none of my smart home stuff would work but turnign the new feature off (and leaving it off) resolved it.

Auto optimisation is a Beta feature and causes the most issues, also check in wireless networks for connect high perfomance devices as this maybe the cause.

optimisenets.jpg

Caporegime
As an update to my issue. Changing the 5ghz to a different name (SSID) solved it.

No need to turn auto optimisation off.

I'm confused though because I have always used the same SSID on both AP's and on both wavelengths. Anyway it's working.

Thanks all.

I changed it by overriding in the access point under devices which I know isn't the proper way to do it but the new controller seems to have changed a lot of the settings. So I will do it the proper way when I get a chance.

Soldato
Hi guys, I bought a Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Lite Indoor Access Point a few days ago. Perhaps I'm missing something in the settings but so far I'm not impressed with the speed or range. I only live in a 2 up 2 down 1980s house so the walls aren't thick. It is only sat on a shelf at present in one of the upstairs bedrooms until I get a lower ethernet cable. Still my Virgin Super Hub in the same room is thrashing it on speed and range in the bedroom across the landing at present. My PC's Asus wifi card in the opposite bedroom isn't even seeing the 5ghz signal when it pics up the Virgin 5Ghz no problem. I'm not a network nerd, bit of a noob on these types of devices. Any idea what I could be doing wrong or link to a page in the thread on best settings for this device. All help much appreciated.

Soldato
It is only sat on a shelf at present

that’s not going to help. The beam pattern means they are designed to be ceiling mounted, hence the ceiling mount included and the disc shape. Sat upside down on a shelf means it’s probably providing great WiFi in your attic.

Back
Top Bottom