*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
Morning all

what’s the best way to restart all my Poe switch + 3 x LR APs just power cycle the Poe switch via the iPhone app? SkyQ broadband was playing up last night so want to restart it all fresh this morning
Just don’t bother restart anything? Waste of time.

Soldato
Anyone running a Unifi switch setup in their loft? Looking at getting a wallmount rack installed that'll feed the house when it's wired etc. My only hesitation re getting the kit installed up there is heat and dust.

Looking at a 24 or 16 port Gen 2 POE switch, that'll then have an AP ceiling mounted hopefully covering the house. Then cable to some of the other rooms. Ultimately looking for 90% of devices to be wired in. Budget inc switch etc. thinking £1500 atm. That includes someone installing cabling, power and then repairing walls etc.

Caporegime
There's switches installed all over the world in much worse environments than your loft. Just make sure you keep it running all the time so it stays warm enough that moisture will never condense on it.

Soldato
Anyone running a Unifi switch setup in their loft? Looking at getting a wallmount rack installed that'll feed the house when it's wired etc. My only hesitation re getting the kit installed up there is heat and dust.

Looking at a 24 or 16 port Gen 2 POE switch, that'll then have an AP ceiling mounted hopefully covering the house. Then cable to some of the other rooms. Ultimately looking for 90% of devices to be wired in. Budget inc switch etc. thinking £1500 atm. That includes someone installing cabling, power and then repairing walls etc.

The 16-port Gen2 is a very poor device compared to the Gen 1. The Gen 1 has 16 PoE ports whereas the Gen 2 has 8 and a pointless tiny display. The Gen 2 24-Port is a better device with 16 PoE ports and a silent cooling solution. I’d still pick the Gen 1 16-port over either Gen 2 device. It’s only with the Gen 2 24-port Pro that you get the full 24 ports PoE (16 PoE+ and 8 PoE++) and with that you pay for 2 10Gbps SFP+ ports. But that truly blows your budget at £650.

As for heat and dust in the loft, most dust is dead skin cells so if you stay out of the loft, there will be very little dust up there. Heat, yes, there will be a higher than normal temperature on very sunny days but the UniFi line are rated to operate in ambient temperatures up to 40C so you’ll have no trouble in a UK loft, even in the hottest summers.

Soldato
The 16-port Gen2 is a very poor device compared to the Gen 1. The Gen 1 has 16 PoE ports whereas the Gen 2 has 8 and a pointless tiny display. The Gen 2 24-Port is a better device with 16 PoE ports and a silent cooling solution. I’d still pick the Gen 1 16-port over either Gen 2 device. It’s only with the Gen 2 24-port Pro that you get the full 24 ports PoE (16 PoE+ and 8 PoE++) and with that you pay for 2 10Gbps SFP+ ports. But that truly blows your budget at £650.

As for heat and dust in the loft, most dust is dead skin cells so if you stay out of the loft, there will be very little dust up there. Heat, yes, there will be a higher than normal temperature on very sunny days but the UniFi line are rated to operate in ambient temperatures up to 40C so you’ll have no trouble in a UK loft, even in the hottest summers.

interesting, will look at specs more. Ubitiqui seem to be in a bit of no Mans land re their products.

Either way, will be a little while until this project can kick off.

might consider replacing FlexHD with NanoHD mounted on the ceiling etc.

must get round to doing a heat map

There's switches installed all over the world in much worse environments than your loft. Just make sure you keep it running all the time so it stays warm enough that moisture will never condense on it.

that is very true tbh

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yes, all my lab and switching (UniFi) equiment live and the loft in a comms cabinet and works without out fuss. It does get toasty up there in the summer but nothing outside of there rated temperture limts.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I picked up a copule of Flex-HD units to replace a few Lites and I have been pretty impressed with them, I was shocked with how compact they are. They are also much more performant than the Lites, so highly recomend.

Soldato
I picked up a copule of Flex-HD units to replace a few Lites and I have been pretty impressed with them, I was shocked with how compact they are. They are also much more performant than the Lites, so highly recomend.

Do you mean in terms of throughput? If so, would you mind sharing some numbers please?

Associate
Yes, all my lab and switching (UniFi) equiment live and the loft in a comms cabinet and works without out fuss. It does get toasty up there in the summer but nothing outside of there rated temperture limts.
Likewise, I did swap the fans over to quieter ones, in the process adding a couple more on the other side of the case and modifying the fan inlet/outlets as I gather the airflow is mostly restricted here and as such is where the noise comes from. Not much point in these changes as it is shut in the loft, I was more interested in the longevity of the switch (24 port POE).

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Do you mean in terms of throughput? If so, would you mind sharing some numbers please?

Using the work laptop (Dell Latitude), I used to get around 30MB/s pulling files from the NAS, now it's 60/80MB/s. Its not a hugely scientific I know but that's what I have noticed since I have started using them.

Soldato
They've gone up in price compared to what I paid for one - £173,38

I'll prob swap mine out for a NanoHD when I get the house wired hopefully, with a NanoHD doing most of the legwork via a ceiling mount etc.

Soldato
Using the work laptop (Dell Latitude), I used to get around 30MB/s pulling files from the NAS, now it's 60/80MB/s. Its not a hugely scientific I know but that's what I have noticed since I have started using them.

Damn, that's a big jump! Thanks for the info. I have one AP Lite at the mo and it works just fine, but it is reaching a point where I need to think about what's next. Flex HD or Nano HD are the obvious contenders (to me).

Soldato
Damn, that's a big jump! Thanks for the info. I have one AP Lite at the mo and it works just fine, but it is reaching a point where I need to think about what's next. Flex HD or Nano HD are the obvious contenders (to me).

I have the FlexHD, I key will be positioning. Have faffed around with various kit, my next install will be very much getting the optimum location sorted. FlexHD is a nice piece of kit otherwise.

Caporegime
A quad core ARM CPU doesn't really fill me with much confidence of the performance of the box as soon as it needs to process traffic that can't be hardware accelerated.

Back
Top Bottom