*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I didn’t say it was being done on purpose. But it looks like the Home site has access and I’m guessing the Doma site takes a feed from Home and distributes it to the other sites. That’s the only way that Home can be fully active and the others have all the alerts.

Note that Doma’s LAN is offline but the WLAN is up. All the WLANs are up so most likely there is a physical lost connection somewhere. Between Home and the other sites.

Or the alerts for Home have been archived whilst the alerts for other sites haven't. I don't think those sites are related in any way except they're hosted on the same controller. Home is the only site what a USG and switch, the others are access points only.

Looking at the sites overview for one of my controllers at work:

EGTnSz2.png

The Rome and Dutch site have alerts which haven't been archived and other than the sites being on the same controller they're not connected to each other.

The LAN at Doma isn't showing as offline - there's no switch adoped in that site. If a switch were offline then the LAN would show as red rather then grey:

uBrrVqe.png

Last edited:
Soldato
@212.159.5.208 If you setup your own controller than I'd recommend not restoring a backup of the current controller as thatll restore the entire controller including all the other sites. Personally I'd setup the controller from scratch, export your site from the current controller, import it onto the new controller and then SSH into your kit and do 'set-inform' to the new controller IP or FQDN.

Before doing the set-inform though, check in Settings -> Controller that the controller hostname is correct. If not you may find that when your devices connect to the new controller they'll get told to connect back to the original one.

@212.159.5.208 If you setup your own controller than I'd recommend not restoring a backup of the current controller as thatll restore the entire controller including all the other sites. Personally I'd setup the controller from scratch, export your site from the current controller, import it onto the new controller and then SSH into your kit and do 'set-inform' to the new controller IP or FQDN.

Before doing the set-inform though, check in Settings -> Controller that the controller hostname is correct. If not you may find that when your devices connect to the new controller they'll get told to connect back to the original one.

I think to be fully safe, just kill it all and start fresh and new from scratch. It gives me something to do. Least this was I know what is what. Shame I have to use the old CK 1 but it works.

I'll have to contact the hosting and tell them to pull the plug as don't want it all showing on my app, mail etc.

I'm glad we go there and found they were the cause.

Soldato
Just taking a look at the UDM - if I were to pick one up can I add UAP AC Lite/Pro devices as a mesh? So the access points will connect to the UDM via wireless uplink with no ethernet connection?

Soldato
No, and given the timelines from EA release to GA launch is 6-9 months I’d say realistically you’re looking at 2021 for stock in the UK and that’s IF they actually make it.

LOL, very true.

Landed a US-16-150W, but looking at my requirements and the amount of power it draws I might offload it sooner lol.

I see there is new firmware for the APs and USW products. Wonder what will break :D

Soldato
So after years of having asus, netgear and the like POS networking equipment the died in and around the 2 year mark, like clockwork, and with a bill north of £500 I decided to invest in some unifi gear, they seem to get good reviews and good overall long term reliability. I picked up a USG, 8 port poe switch and a AC AP Lite and have to say i'm quite happy with the ease of set up and the results.

One thing I noticed when I had everything set up the way I wanted was the spike in utilisation in the USG, currently I have Lan and 1 Vlan configured with 2 wired poe cameras and a wifi camera on the Vlan. i have rules set up for restricting Wan in and out of the Vlan with a total of 11 clients running across the whole network combined, once set up utilisation sits around 42% spiking to 60 at times.
My question is how much headroom do I have, looking at these numbers it appears not to be much and with me thinking about adding a second 16 port rackmount gen 2 switch I'm contemplating maybe it being worth replacing the USG for a UDM if the scope of the hardware is an issue,. I foresee in the immediate future adding two more cameras to my NVR (blue iris machine) and creating a 2nd Vlan to isolate the wireless completely from the wired network.

I would also like to use the 10Gb connection on my motherboard but TBH this is for no other reason than because it's there, I doubt since moving my File storage and streaming library i can anywhere near close saturating the connection.

Also i have been reading that it's bad practice to use Lan2 so best to leave that well alone?

Soldato
With the controller and firmware updates over the last couple of years there is no difference between any of the RJ45 ports (there are all mappable) so use what you like. The LAN 1 and LAN 2 aren't switched though, they're routed so if you do plug something on the same subnet in the performance will be shocking compared to a straightforward switched port.

Soldato
Anyone got any thoughts on the Gen 1 POE switches vs the newer Gen 2's? I've got Gen 1 24 port non-POE that is pretty sweet but I'm now looking at a POE switch aswell. I don't need 24 ports, 16 would be sufficient but the gen 2s have much lower power budgets compared to the Gen 1s and as I don't need L3 switching the G1s seem good enough... however I keep reading pretty bad things about the 8/16/24 port PoEs and hardware failures... Anyone got any of these and how have they lasted/performed?

G1’s for me have failed on PSU. I’ve fixed a few, IC diode and cap. Others have been sent off.

G2’s I did an install last week. 10x 24 port. All died when doing adopting and fW. I wasn’t impressed. Cisco went back in and left rather red faced.

I’m ditching the hosted option for controller.

UniFi Cloud Key Gen2, which version so I get

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I always spend the extra £30 and get the plus. Protect is quite a bit of extra functionality and you get a proper SSD that you can replace or upgrade.

G1’s for me have failed on PSU. I’ve fixed a few, IC diode and cap. Others have been sent off.

G2’s I did an install last week. 10x 24 port. All died when doing adopting and fW. I wasn’t impressed. Cisco went back in and left rather red faced.

I don't suppose you logged the production week? Can you name the reseller at least? I have 50 pieces coming over the next 2 weeks - a mix of non-pro PoE, PoE and PoE Pro plus 10 pieces of the 48 port PoE Pro and I'd rather not get the same batch as you!

Anyone got any thoughts on the Gen 1 POE switches vs the newer Gen 2's? I've got Gen 1 24 port non-POE that is pretty sweet but I'm now looking at a POE switch aswell. I don't need 24 ports, 16 would be sufficient but the gen 2s have much lower power budgets compared to the Gen 1s and as I don't need L3 switching the G1s seem good enough... however I keep reading pretty bad things about the 8/16/24 port PoEs and hardware failures... Anyone got any of these and how have they lasted/performed?

For PoE - get the 16 port Gen 1 or splurge and get the PoE Pro Gen2 24-port which is a fabulous switch with the SFP+ uplink capability. I've not seen the issues reported by 212.159.5.208 but I've also not had any of the non-PoE Gen 2 units yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Since moving my AC Pro to the ceiling upstairs, wifi in the garden now suffers. I want a second AP to put downstairs so it will solve the garden issue. Should I get another AC Pro, or maybe replace the one upstairs with a nanoHD and put the AC Pro downstairs?

Soldato

This what I've been reading, inluding some reports only a few months ago. It seems as if the Gen 1s may be on board revision 14 which appears to have fixed the error 17 sensor issue but in New Zealand there is no guarantee that the stock will have shifted enough to bring in the v14s.

For PoE - get the 16 port Gen 1 or splurge and get the PoE Pro Gen2 24-port which is a fabulous switch with the SFP+ uplink capability. I've not seen the issues reported by 212.159.5.208 but I've also not had any of the non-PoE Gen 2 units yet.
I wish I could do the Pro. Its $1500nzd here, well over my budget for a home build... I can stretch to the ~800 for the Gen 2 24 POE but would prefer less hence the question around the G1s.

Back
Top Bottom