*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
4.3.14.11258 is the latest UAP/USW firmware, as of 3 hours ago.

I'll update mine in a mo, along with 1.7.0 RC18 for my UDMP

Associate
I've noticed an issue where some of my amazon echo devices lose connection to my NanoHD access point and don't reconnect until they have been powered off and back on.

It's not the end of the world, but we use one to play white noise into my 5 month old's bedroom at night.

More often than not now when we go in to check on her through the night the echo has stopped working.

Also noticed it on the echo in the garage the other day (garage is a home gym).

What's the best bet for me trying to diagnose the issue? Not experiencing it with any other devices? Is there somewhere in the ubiquiti software I can diagnose any issues?

I'm a novice sorry guys :(

Soldato
Strangely I've just had 3 Firesticks drop off two different Unifi networks and they refuse to connect, even after a restart and factory reset. The access points are a mix of AP-AC-SHD, UAP-FlexHD and UAP-IW-HD. So all Wave2 access points. I'm going to add an AP-AC-LR and see if one will connect to that.

Associate
Good choice. When you install said Ethernet cable, while it is just about possible to get the cable grommet over an RJ45 it’s much easier to install on an unterminated cable and it is handed so it needs to go on the right way around. And it matters. It took me 14 hours, a trip up a very high ladder and a REALLY difficult conversation with the person who repeatedly assured me they had fitted it correctly to diagnose that fault. You have been warned.

Well I have got it mounted on the wall at the back of the house, cat5 Installed and terminated - only problem I have is it’s only connecting at 100fx - bugger :( - I’m getting very good coverage across the rear and side of the house, where we live we have no mobile phone coverage so, enabling wifi on the outside of the house means we have wifi calling - which is the main reason for the install

Will re-make the cat5 ends off at the weekend - hopefully it’s just a crap connection in one of the ends - fingers crossed there is no damage mid run

Phil G

Soldato
Well I have got it mounted on the wall at the back of the house, cat5 Installed and terminated - only problem I have is it’s only connecting at 100fx - bugger :( - I’m getting very good coverage across the rear and side of the house, where we live we have no mobile phone coverage so, enabling wifi on the outside of the house means we have wifi calling - which is the main reason for the install

Will re-make the cat5 ends off at the weekend - hopefully it’s just a crap connection in one of the ends - fingers crossed there is no damage mid run

Phil G

:(

Soldato
Surely that's the point of beta testing is it not?

If we were talking in the Alpha forum or the EA section of Community I would agree with you but the issue I have with UBiOS is its not finished but they released it to the General Release anyway because they wanted to boost the stock price ahead of their big shareholder meeting. And now people are REALLY struggling with the fact that they’ve bought GA hardware and to get it even half working in a production environment they need to run Beta software. I have no issue with Beta software that adds new features but a Beta software that fixes something like 35 pretty basic bugs (things like the system clock being wrong) just emphasises the fact that this was released to GA far too early and there are still significant functionality that was promised that is still missing (Multi-wan, commercial VPN support etc.)

Chris Buechler gutted the USG/Controller Group when he joined UBNT in 2016. He declared the base system ‘a mishmash of patches’ and convinced Robert Pera that the whole thing had to be rewritten from scratch. So they did. They moved the UniFi Controller team to Poland and Routing & Switching to Texas, so it’s all split up. And you’d have to ask ‘exactly what has Chris Buechler achieved in 4 years at UBNT?’

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'd agree with your comments but I also view the product much like any other 1st gen early product that has issues.

In my use case, it works well but I also have pfSense as a backup device. However, as I have said before I wouldn't ever use UniFi equiment in a commerical production (enterprise) eviroment as my normal go to option is Cisco, Juniper etc....

Soldato
I'd agree with your comments but I also view the product much like any other 1st gen early product that has issues.

In my use case, it works well but I also have pfSense as a backup device. However, as I have said before I wouldn't ever use UniFi equiment in a commerical production (enterprise) eviroment as my normal go to option is Cisco, Juniper etc....

Agreed. My use-case is slightly different in that I’m doing high-end home builds from peer recommendations and there is almost an expectation that I’ll use the same ‘silver network stuff with flying saucers’ because that all works perfectly at the previous install. I’ve seen build specifications that state a requirement for WLAN coverage for 1000 users indoors and outdoors to ensure no loss of service during big social events. UniFi is pretty good at that sort of level and we have developed UniFi controller settings for Linn whole-home systems that would be hard to replicate with other network hardware so we do a lot with UniFi.

And it’s getting harder and harder because other equipment is just better once the incoming WAN speed goes over 400Mbps or you want NGFW type features.

Back
Top Bottom