*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah must have been something like that, can’t remember the name of the setting!

Think it was under AI menu?

WI-FI AI... Disable it :D Most buggy and naff feature UI have

Doesn't work well with a lot of devices, and it's idea of being smart optimising settings, it really doesn't. As you have now personally witnessed lol

Prob why it has BETA slapped on it. UI love slapping BETA on everything :D

Soldato
I have a problem, well more of an inconvenience, that is driving me round the bend and no matter of research on the Ubiquiti forums or reddit has fixed it for me. It's been going on for months.

I hav 3x UAP-AC-LRs, an AP-AC-Mesh-Pro and a POE-150W switch. The controller for them runs in a docker container on my Unraid server. Every few days (no discernible pattern) my devices are shown as disconnected in the controller (which is on 24x7). Looking at the devices tab shows them going between disconnected and adopting. In terms of the network it obviously performs fine it's just every once in a while i like to look at the pretty graphs and insights. They easily readopt by SSHing into each device and issuing a set-inform command and they all magically become connected in the controller pretty instantly. But why do they all disconnect every so often? The set-inform command I issue is 'set-inform http://192.168.1.71:8082/inform' the only suspect things I can think of is something to do with unifi not resolving to that IP in my DNS or the fact I have to run the adoption on the non-default port because 8080 is in use by another docker container. I've tried all manner of tweaking in line with advice of similar problems I've read up on but nothing seems to make them stick as connected for more than a day or two. The UI alerts don't show anything but I just feel I'm not looking in the right place or trying the right things to resolve it.

Soldato
In the controller to go settings then controller. Have you got 'Override inform host with controller hostname/IP' enabled? If so, what is set in the Controller Hostname/IP field?

Also, prior to doing set-inform, if you do 'info' what does it show?

Soldato
In the controller to go settings then controller. Have you got 'Override inform host with controller hostname/IP' enabled? If so, what is set in the Controller Hostname/IP field?

Also, prior to doing set-inform, if you do 'info' what does it show?

'controller hostname/ip' is set to 192.168.1.71 but 'Override inform host with controller hostname/IP' is not enabled. Should I enable it? I'm going to kick myself if that's all it is. Must have confused myself somewhere reading about when to use and not use that setting at some point.

I've just reconnected them all (what prompted me to post) so I'll have to wait a day or two for them to disconnect when I can run the 'info' command on them prior to my next set-inform.

Soldato
'controller hostname/ip' is set to 192.168.1.71 but 'Override inform host with controller hostname/IP' is not enabled. Should I enable it? I'm going to kick myself if that's all it is. Must have confused myself somewhere reading about when to use and not use that setting at some point.

I've just reconnected them all (what prompted me to post) so I'll have to wait a day or two for them to disconnect when I can run the 'info' command on them prior to my next set-inform.

Enabling it be fine as long as the specified controller hostname/IP is correct. Though I haven't tried it when the inform port is something other than 8080. All of my controllers have that option ticked and if it does cause you a problem the fix is easy enough, untick it then do set-inform on the devices again.

Could you not give the Unifi docker container a new IP address which would allow :8080 to be used?

Edit - I did some reading and you should be able to set the controller hostname/ip field to http://192.168.1.71:8082. I haven't tried it but as I said above, if it goes awry it's easy enough to fix so I think it's worth giving it a try.

Soldato
Enabling it be fine as long as the specified controller hostname/IP is correct. Though I haven't tried it when the inform port is something other than 8080. All of my controllers have that option ticked and if it does cause you a problem the fix is easy enough, untick it then do set-inform on the devices again.

Could you not give the Unifi docker container a new IP address which would allow :8080 to be used?

Edit - I did some reading and you should be able to set the controller hostname/ip field to http://192.168.1.71:8082. I haven't tried it but as I said above, if it goes awry it's easy enough to fix so I think it's worth giving it a try.

I didn't realise you can reset it by SSHing in again. The warning is kind of scary in that it says 'you may require physical access to reset' or somesuch. I'll give it a go. thank you.

Soldato
The warning is there for good reason, if you're running a centralised controller with access points in remote locations you could balls things up if you enter settings wrong there. If SSH access to the access points wasn't working then you would need physical access to push the reset button on each access point.

Soldato
Yep. The UXG-Pro is in the EA store, it's a replacement for the USG-4 rather than the USG-3P but specs sound interesting and I would guess that Ubiquiti are working on a USG-3P replacement.

Yeah, hopefully they'll not ditch the compact option. Mine's still fine and I won't have a connection that it'll bottleneck for quite some time, so there's no requirement at the moment. Would just be nice to know that I can upgrade at some point.

Soldato
I did some reading and you should be able to set the controller hostname/ip field to http://192.168.1.71:8082. I haven't tried it but as I said above, if it goes awry it's easy enough to fix so I think it's worth giving it a try.

Tried that and get a message "Controller Hostname/IP must be a valid hostname or IPv4 Address" Same message if I omit the http:// but keep the port. So now set it with just the IP and override enabled and we'll see. If that fails I may well just go and take the time to re-configure my Docker networking as you suggest so the controller can run on the default port. Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Yeah, hopefully they'll not ditch the compact option. Mine's still fine and I won't have a connection that it'll bottleneck for quite some time, so there's no requirement at the moment. Would just be nice to know that I can upgrade at some point.

A 19" rack mounted router isn't ideal for me either, I'd much prefer a small form factor unit. My USG-3P is working fine even with my 900Mbps FTTP connection.

Soldato
Would be nice to get 3P replacement / upgrade.

I think you might be disappointed. It depends what you’re after. I don’t think there will be a direct replacement. What I believe is being mooted is something like the Flex range of switches (white plastic case) and it will basically be the existing USG-3P with a different CPU so it runs faster.

Associate
Hi all looking for a bit of advice. I’m just replacing my tp link vr 900 router as it stops every now and again using it in wan mode and connected to fttp. I’ve got an edge router x coming coming tomorrow but I’ve just been reading it will struggle with a gig connection. Do I really need to change it to an edge router lite ?

Soldato
Hi all looking for a bit of advice. I’m just replacing my tp link vr 900 router as it stops every now and again using it in wan mode and connected to fttp. I’ve got an edge router x coming coming tomorrow but I’ve just been reading it will struggle with a gig connection. Do I really need to change it to an edge router lite ?

From what I've seen the ER-X has an aggregate speed rating of 1Gbit so its not ideal for a Gigabit WAN connection.

Even best case scenario (No port bridging, no QoS/DPI, Hardware Offloading) you'll be bottlenecked.

The ER-Ls are great and really not too much more money. I'm running a symmetrical 1Gbit connection on an ER Lite 3 and get linespeed.

Associate
From what I've seen the ER-X has an aggregate speed rating of 1Gbit so its not ideal for a Gigabit WAN connection.

Even best case scenario (No port bridging, no QoS/DPI, Hardware Offloading) you'll be bottlenecked.

The ER-Ls are great and really not too much more money. I'm running a symmetrical 1Gbit connection on an ER Lite 3 and get linespeed.

it arrived today, I can get full speed with the offload enabled. I’ll give it a day or 2 and see if I want to change to the lite one. Seems to be stock issues of those though.

Soldato
It’s still certain to be a cause of panic amongst some folks on the forums. It’ll be the fan not running fast enough or something...

And there will be threads about strapping 200mm fans to the bottom of UDMs to guarantee they won’t fail, except you now have no warranty...

Back
Top Bottom