*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I managed to get connected to the Internet! Ubiquiti support sent me instructions on how to put the UDM into recovery mode and upload the latest firmware. So I not pass the speedtest and firmware check. Woo hoo! But crash again at Setting up Network. I get an error saying "Cannot read property 'device' of undefined" which isn't very helpful. Seems to be a common issue so off to find out how to get past this stumbling block.

Soldato
But not that far from South Queensferry. But I won’t be there until next week.

What I was thinking is to use a 4G modem or 4G router to get it running. Or to go to a friend’s house where they have non-Sky broadband?

Soldato
But not that far from South Queensferry. But I won’t be there until next week.

What I was thinking is to use a 4G modem or 4G router to get it running. Or to go to a friend’s house where they have non-Sky broadband?

See my post above yours. I’m now on a different issue which seems to be a tad more intractable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,

I'm trying to localize a weird traffic spike which seems to be coming from my USG-3P at 03:10 am (BST), see below:

y4m5Va4h6AU_KPCl_Eb9t9pv7tB8sEuojh4WHLg1gOJ9L4f1SSv1XYp5IQCSP2XoPWIpKPfXypwanfJoJYwOtrqdoNbDG7xxFzuhZ80n_EBd6PMfqEqPJLmPtdIXuzeYN2TuomFQda9zLdFVXBbRzwFzbtkv5AHzrusVsvuJUIAREt_-uzDIclk7_MXRZRTbuofdEfBjVz4BBEkruZDixTTsg

There seems to be no corresponding traffic spike on the other ports on the switch, what is the best way to debug what it going on?

Thanks

Soldato
The stats are messed up any on the gateways.

This.

I had a few spikes appearing on my graph a few weeks back when there wasn't anything connected to the network other than the USG-3P. The access points and switches were powered off after the washing machine tripped the RCD taking out power to some of the sockets.

Soldato
Yeah, generally the stats are garbage.
You can’t even filter, auto reset etc either. Always seemed like stats and reporting in general needs a lot of work.

And yet this is one of the main selling points of the UniFi controller with the ability to drill down into client devices etc. Yet more disappointment in a UniFi device. Oh well...

Associate
as much as i love ubnt gear it does lack a lot of basic features and has more bugs than i care to deal with
iv found myself missing consumer gear more than once

i too ignore the stats page and overview, along with the scan frequency's, half of the nice features i now find i dont use
my main use now is in seeing which clients are using what bandwidth and limiting them as needed to improve overall performance for all users/devices
im having lots of problems with unifi protect since i moved from a pc running unifi video to the cloudkey second gen plus, i cant seem to get my camera IR to kick in anymore, i can see its on at the camera, but there is no picture in the video, also even when setting events to 99% trigger it misses almost all movements
unifi video would pickup around 70 events a day at 60% with the same zone
im at a loss of what to try next

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Hah love the ‘test report’ from my RMA of the Dream Machine which went pop

Many thanks for returning your Ubiquiti Dream Machine to us recently. The support department has tested the unit and confirmed the fault that you have reported. Unit makes a loud bang when turned on, enough to dissuade any user from ever using it again. Many thanks.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Yikes @WJA96 ...

Reminds me, I was supposed to pipe up in here and see what my alternative should be for my existing 3P. I only got it for the graphs and wanting 'completeness' but in all fairness, I barely use those sides of things and for what I would like to do it'sa little more complex than I envisaged.

In your opinion WJA (as someone who has helped with my unifi gear over the last few years), worth switching to something like pfsense (I know it has a learning curve) or another dedicated solution? Ideally, I'm looking for something which might make selective routing via vpn (say for one device when connected to a particular ssid it routes via VPN, for others on other ssid no vpn). I'll continue using the rest of my unifi gear as the APs, switches I've got are rock solid, just getting itchy feet and fancy a change router wise.

I did dabble with using one of my raspberry pis to act as a solution but I'm fed up of having bitty methods, I want something that can just do it without a tonne of work in terminal.

Might be something for another thread maybe.

Soldato
worth switching to something like pfsense (I know it has a learning curve) or another dedicated solution? Ideally, I'm looking for something which might make selective routing via vpn (say for one device when connected to a particular ssid it routes via VPN, for others on other ssid no vpn). I'll continue using the rest of my unifi gear as the APs, switches I've got are rock solid, just getting itchy feet and fancy a change router wise.

I switched to pfSense for routing/firewall and Ubiquiti for Wifi some time ago and haven't looked back. The learning curve isn't that hard if a luddite like me with basic networking knowledge can follow youtube videos and online guides and get it doing everything I want.

Certainly the use case you specify I know is easy enough to implement, indeed I do so. Ubiquiti will let you tag VLANs on different SSIDs and then it's reasonably easy to then set policy based rules in pfSense to route out tagged traffic via a VPN. I also use DHCP reservations and aliases (group a set of machines together) on pfSense together with policy based routing to send out via VPN or not.

So I know it'll work just fine but would also acknowledge there are a lot of other solutions that would do the same. OPNsense, Untangle etc.

I think separating out routing from WiFi and use the most fit-for-purpose appliance/product for each is really very sensible as you start to have more advanced requirements for your home network. You just have to live without the complete set of pretty graphs :)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Thanks @BigT most helpful. Just doing a bit of reading on pfsense now (and the others). I'm fine without the graphs to be honest, it was a nice to have but I very very rarely even log in to the controller, there's no need and there's only two of us with a phone each, a laptop each and then the odd smart device it's not really providing me with anything tangibly useful.

Soldato
If you want something that has the UniFi ‘feel’ to it then I would suggest Untangle. You need a NUC type device to run it on (or a VM) but in the free version it’s very good and if you pay the £35/year for the home version most VPN options are already built-in.

pfSense is pretty much the default option for ‘alternative’ routing these days. And it’s solid and there a gazillion tutorials about how to do stuff.

Or you could go totally off-piste and put in a Mikrotik. £35 will get you something decent (hAP) and £175-ish will get you an RB4011 which is a VPN monster with specific SoC for IPSec. But if you thought the learning curve on pfSense was steep...

Back
Top Bottom