*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Nope. If the clients were using WiFi then you could use RADIUS controlled VLANs from a single SSID.

In your situation I would probably setup the switch port so that it's untagged in one VLAN and tagged in the other. So plug a client in and it'll be in the untagged VLAN but with a bit of configruation on the client you can make it join the tagged VLAN.

The switch port config for that would be as follows. A client connected to that switch port without any specific configuration applied to it would be in VLAN 1 but you'll note that VLAN 3 is tagged on that switch port. You can tag in more VLANs if you want, this is just an example:

LDYhCuG.png

If I then connected a client to that switch port that I wanted to be in the tagged VLAN then I'd need to configure that on the client. In the case of a Windows PC for example you'd generally go to Device Manager and to the advanced tab of the network card:

HpIHSis.png

So in that example the Windows PC would then be in VLAN 3.

Soldato
Is there a way for a port on a switch to change its profile depending on which client is plugged into it? I ask as I have an external monitor and network cable and I switch it between a customers' laptop which is on an isolated VLAN and also my own MacBook Air which I want on a different VLAN. It's annoying to have to change the switch port each time I change the device.

No. You really need a bigger switch if you're regularly plugging and unplugging kit.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
The requirement is twofold. One is to future-proof any potential upgrade of FTTP so not really relevant for a few years at least until OR start releasing XGS-PON. The second is that I have a number of VLANs at home and being able to move data between them at 10 Gbps would be a nice thing to have.

A UDM-Pro would be fine for that, as I have mine connected with 10Gb links and on the intervlan side its more or less line speed. The UDM-P is very strong at routing traffic, its when you add IPS / IDS etc... it will slow it down to 3.5Gb/s ~

It's also going to be more than a few years before OR start upgrading to XGPON, unless you are in a lucky area which has been rolling them out.

10Gb networking gear normally still has a high price tag, if you want to do everything at full line speed other wise you have to make compromises to work to a budget.

Caporegime
Is there a way for a port on a switch to change its profile depending on which client is plugged into it? I ask as I have an external monitor and network cable and I switch it between a customers' laptop which is on an isolated VLAN and also my own MacBook Air which I want on a different VLAN. It's annoying to have to change the switch port each time I change the device.

You can do MAC-based VLANs on some switches, the easiest workaround might be to just tag the VLAN you want your MacBook Air to be on and then set the VLAN tag up on the Mac's network card.

Man of Honour
I have my main network untagged and the isolated network tagged. As luck would have it, I am unable to change the VLAN of the NIC on the customers laptop due to GPO.

Soldato
I'm confused. If you can't change the VLAN ID on the customer laptop because of GPO then how will you connect it to the tagged network?

If you can't change the VLAN ID then it won't be set so it'll be connecting to the untagged VLAN on that switch port.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm confused. If you can't change the VLAN ID on the customer laptop because of GPO then how will you connect it to the tagged network?

If you can't change the VLAN ID then it won't be set so it'll be connecting to the untagged VLAN on that switch port.
What I mean is I can't simply change the my untagged network to a tagged network. Well, I could, but I'd have to change it in a lot of places and it's more hassle then physically changing the port that the customer laptop is connected to.

maj

maj

Soldato
I'm due to move into a new build next month which will have FTTP and rather than have ethernet ports all over the house like I do now I've been looking at Access Points and then stumbled upon this thread. For someone starting out is there a recommended single AP to get? It would be providing wifi signal for all devices in the house including my home office (more than likely bedroom 3). At the moment I'm looking at the NanoHD since I don't have a PoE switch and it comes with a PoE injector. Is there any other AP to consider?

Here's a floorplan with dimensions and was thinking of putting it where the red X is for easy of cabling as based on the other show homes on this development the master socket is in the 'ST' on the 2nd floor.

HwCIEwb.jpg

Thanks for any help and advice.

Man of Honour
If it has ports already the cable as much as you can. I definitely couldn't work on wifi alone, it's simple not reliable enough no matter the APs used.

Soldato
I'm due to move into a new build next month which will have FTTP and rather than have ethernet ports all over the house like I do now I've been looking at Access Points and then stumbled upon this thread. For someone starting out is there a recommended single AP to get? It would be providing wifi signal for all devices in the house including my home office (more than likely bedroom 3). At the moment I'm looking at the NanoHD since I don't have a PoE switch and it comes with a PoE injector. Is there any other AP to consider?

Here's a floorplan with dimensions and was thinking of putting it where the red X is for easy of cabling as based on the other show homes on this development the master socket is in the 'ST' on the 2nd floor.

HwCIEwb.jpg

Thanks for any help and advice.

AP placement looks fine and one should be more than enough but I wouldn’t go for a nanoHD now, it’s WiFi 6 and anything you have bought in the last 2 years will likely support wifi6. Look at the U6-LR instead. If it doesn’t come with an injector, grab a separate one or a PoE switch, they don’t have to be Ubiquiti, just support the correct standard.

maj

maj

Soldato
If it has ports already the cable as much as you can. I definitely couldn't work on wifi alone, it's simple not reliable enough no matter the APs used.

Sadly the house is too far through the building process to have them put them in now I believe. If so I may have to look into putting ethernet in place at a later date if possible.

AP placement looks fine and one should be more than enough but I wouldn’t go for a nanoHD now, it’s WiFi 6 and anything you have bought in the last 2 years will likely support wifi6. Look at the U6-LR instead. If it doesn’t come with an injector, grab a separate one or a PoE switch, they don’t have to be Ubiquiti, just support the correct standard.

U6-LR looks to be the way forward if one of them will give me the coverage I need thanks. I'll just need to source a suitable PoE device to add to the total cost.

Associate
Just a comment, more stemming from ignorance than anything else :) (I have a bunch of Unifi kit that I haven't paid a lot of attention to, really, for quite a while).
My PC updated to Windows 11 last night, and I noticed that now the wifi is using wpa3. I'm seriously impressed, I mean my newest AP is a UAP-AC-M that I got just after they were launched so it must have been 2016 or 2017. For it to support WPA3 is awesome. I love my Unifi!

Soldato
Just a comment, more stemming from ignorance than anything else :) (I have a bunch of Unifi kit that I haven't paid a lot of attention to, really, for quite a while).
My PC updated to Windows 11 last night, and I noticed that now the wifi is using wpa3. I'm seriously impressed, I mean my newest AP is a UAP-AC-M that I got just after they were launched so it must have been 2016 or 2017. For it to support WPA3 is awesome. I love my Unifi!

Nice! I’ve yet to work out how to get my UAP-AC-Lite to support WPA3. I think I’m limited by using the phone app to control it.

Back
Top Bottom