*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
What network set up handled that? Just out of interest

Unifi with mainly UAP-IW-HD for the access points and USW-24-Pro PoE and USW-48-Pro switches. The router was a Supermicro EPYC-7 running Untangle and the UniFi controller as Virtual Machines. We also installed UAP-HD-Flex in the gardens and a Mikrotik LHG Wireless wire link to the gatehouse to uplink the gatehouse Surveillance cameras.

Soldato
Hi guys

Just need some help please. My home network has gone into meltdown since we had some building work done. My setup is:

BT fibre 900/110
USG3P
Unifi-8-60W
Nanohd

The controller 6.5.55 is running on a raspberry pi.

I started getting issues with the nanohd being lost from the controller and then 'adoption failed'. A few restarts later I got it connected but within 24 hrs it's down again and this time nothing I try (ssh set-default) etc will allow the controller to adopt. All 3 devices fail adoption. Have tried restoring from a working backup to no avail. At my wits end. This close to deleting the controller and starting again unless there are any ideas here please.

Soldato
Has the IP of the controller changed and is the setting that overrides the IP of the controller enabled and entered correctly?

The Rpi has a static ip address 192.168.0.x

When I reset the devices the USG is 192.168.0.x but the other two are 192.168.1.x

setting that overrides the ip of the controller?

Soldato
Ok here's an odd question.

I don't suppose there's any way of setting the STP priority on a switch *before* it's adopted onto the network?

With a 'regular' switch I could connect to its web interface and configure it in isolation before deployment but I don't think that's possible with Ubiquiti stuff (never tried).

Soldato
setting that overrides the ip of the controller?

Sorry, I didn't have my controller infront of me at the time. The setting is "Override inform host - Override the Inform Host of your UniFi Network devices with the configured Host for Inform. Enabling this will provision all adopted UniFi Network devices to the configured Host for Inform."

There is an option for you to set the IP under the setting above, for whatever reason when I originally set up the network, I couldn't get anything to adopt without that setting switched on.

When the IP address of the controller changed on my network and I didn't notice, the AP's were pointed to an IP address which no longer was the controller and couldn't be controlled. When I factory re-set them they would start the adoption process and fail because they were re-configured wit the wrong IP. It took me ages to realise what was going on.

Soldato
Sorry, I didn't have my controller infront of me at the time. The setting is "Override inform host - Override the Inform Host of your UniFi Network devices with the configured Host for Inform. Enabling this will provision all adopted UniFi Network devices to the configured Host for Inform."

There is an option for you to set the IP under the setting above, for whatever reason when I originally set up the network, I couldn't get anything to adopt without that setting switched on.

When the IP address of the controller changed on my network and I didn't notice, the AP's were pointed to an IP address which no longer was the controller and couldn't be controlled. When I factory re-set them they would start the adoption process and fail because they were re-configured wit the wrong IP. It took me ages to realise what was going on.

Many thanks! I just reinstalled and restarted everything. Eventually changed my network to 192.168.1.x to match the rebooted Unifi equipment. It then adopted fine. Now I need to take everything back to 192.168.0.x which hopefully will be less painful especially after I have clicked the inform host setting :)

Soldato
The mikrotik looks like an awesome bit of kit, whats RouterOS like?

Its sort of anti-UniFi. It does EVERYTHING but you need to do a lot of digging to find the gold. Where UniFi is click and it’s done, RouterOS needs you find the right option in the menu. RouterOS is Linux vs. Unifi’s Windows. It is insanely powerful though.

Soldato
So guys now that everything is up and running...do I need to be worried that SkyQ is being fitted on Sat. Any changes I need to make to get it to connect via ethernet cable to the USG 3P directly?

Soldato
So guys now that everything is up and running...do I need to be worried that SkyQ is being fitted on Sat. Any changes I need to make to get it to connect via ethernet cable to the USG 3P directly?

If you're planning on running Sky Q with mini boxes over Ethernet, just make sure your STP priorities are configured correctly on any switches that support it or you could have hours of fun.

Associate
My dream machine SE just arrived and I put a 2TB WD purple in it. The problem is that the fan is to loud for wife :) Is there any way to modify the fan curves?

Soldato
Not that I know of. I seen a few on the forums swapping them out for noctua fans and also checking the heatsinks are on properly. A few posts show recent ones with heatsinks half off chips etc. Worth just opening it up and checking that first.

Soldato
My dream machine SE just arrived and I put a 2TB WD purple in it. The problem is that the fan is to loud for wife :) Is there any way to modify the fan curves?

Noctua reducer cable for the least invasive noise reduction or swap out the fan for a Noctua. It’s never going to be quiet. It’s a rack mount device and it needs those fans to pull the air through the depth of the chassis. Alternatively, send it back and buy a domestic router instead.

Associate
Noctua reducer cable for the least invasive noise reduction or swap out the fan for a Noctua. It’s never going to be quiet. It’s a rack mount device and it needs those fans to pull the air through the depth of the chassis. Alternatively, send it back and buy a domestic router instead.

Do you know which Noctua fan will fit into my dreammachine se?

Soldato
On the sample I have it’s a 15mm x 40mm so NF-A4x20mm but check the motherboard header for the voltage - on mine it’s 12V, but it could be different on a production unit. And measure the fan on yours. UBNT quite often iterate through different designs when they go through EA into GA.

It doesn’t matter if you get the PWM or non-PWM version, you just have a spare pin on the connector if you buy the wrong one.

I usually use Noctua FLX fans, but you don’t need to. And obviously, keep the OEM fans in case you need to RMA the unit.

Soldato
I see Ubiquiti are still lips shut on any sign of IKEv2, Wireguard or official OpenVPN support.

Luckily my L2TP Client configs on my Samsung mobile migrated across but the Android 12 update puts an end to configuring any NEW connections on that protocol.

Cmon Ubiquiti, pull your finger out!

Back
Top Bottom