*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
No they were out of stock aswell on a competitor, its £923+VAT. Can't actually find it in stock anywhere. I can't buy ex vat.
No-one can actually buy ex-VAT (obviously in business you can claim the VAT back against sales), it's just that all the prices on the trade sites are +VAT and I'm too lazy to add it in.

As OcUK sell QNAP I don't think I can say where I'm seeing my pricing and they won't talk to you without a qualified trade account anyway. Plus, still no stock.

Caporegime
Yeah no worries. I'll keep looking.

Cheap chinese power supply has my USG back up and running at least, but now all my switches have failed adoption :mad:.

Everything is working, I just can't connect to/look at my switches. So infuriating, I don't want to have to factory reset all my switches and re-adopt them.

Soldato
Can you ping the switches? Try to SSH into them, if you can get in issue the 'info' command and see what status they report. You can most likely get them to connect again by doing 'set-inform http:/ip.of.your.controller:8080/inform'

Soldato
You can mount any of the rack-mount switches on a wall, just hang the switch off the rack ears.

Personally, I like the original US-16-150W because it has both 24V and 48V PoE but any of them are good.

What will you be using for a router? You only get the full benefit of the switches when you’re running the full system with router and controller as yiu make the change and it just washes through in one click.

Unfortunetly my one has the POE issue and Unifi say no support. So I'm considering what to do with it / look at Aruba, but stock is looking like August.

Watching what Arista do re Untangle going forward.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunetly my one has the POE issue and Unifi say no support. So I'm considering what to do with it / look at Aruba, but stock is looking like August.

What PoE issue? I wasn’t aware there is a PoE issue with any of the UniFi switches?

Can I ask where you sourced your switch? UBNT only guarantee them for 12 months in addition to your statutory rights so if there is a known issue with the switches you should be able to return it to wherever you bought it for a repair/partial refund up to 6 years after purchase.

Soldato
Essentially POE ports restart. If POE is disabled on the ports the switch works fine. Apparently it's a rev of the switch, large thread on it on the community forums. Seller I purchased from no longer in business by the looks of things.

Aruba Instant On of interested and their warranty service good from what I recall when I worked on ProCurve / Aruba switches in the past.

Soldato

My contact at UBNT says they are 100% RMAing all US-16-150W With an issue from Rev 9 to Rev 13, irrespective of age. Your last post on the UI forums seemed to suggest you had not contacted them. My contact had a look on his database and he says no-one from the UK has asked for an RMA on a US-16-150W recently (last few months).

By all means buy an Aruba switch. If you don’t want your US-16-150W then I’ll happily take it off your hands and RMA it for a new one :)

Soldato

We’ve recently signed up as Untangle resellers and the sales staff at what is still their ‘headquarters’ in San Jose have been told to keep selling as usual with no official change in sales strategy. Arista corporate sales now have an extra line to sell that may open up new opportunities for them in smaller companies But whatever the reason was that Arista bought Untangle they’re not saying anything new at this time.

Soldato
We’ve recently signed up as Untangle resellers and the sales staff at what is still their ‘headquarters’ in San Jose have been told to keep selling as usual with no official change in sales strategy. Arista corporate sales now have an extra line to sell that may open up new opportunities for them in smaller companies But whatever the reason was that Arista bought Untangle they’re not saying anything new at this time.

Makes sense, still got the atom CPU untangle :)

Soldato
My contact at UBNT says they are 100% RMAing all US-16-150W With an issue from Rev 9 to Rev 13, irrespective of age. Your last post on the UI forums seemed to suggest you had not contacted them. My contact had a look on his database and he says no-one from the UK has asked for an RMA on a US-16-150W recently (last few months).

By all means buy an Aruba switch. If you don’t want your US-16-150W then I’ll happily take it off your hands and RMA it for a new one :)

Logged a ticket and rejected.

Last edited:
Soldato

Rev 11

Soldato
Also interested what the new 710p Arista switches are like, I spoke via email of my interest. I ask where I can get them, after they found out I’m a home user the emails stopped.

Puzzled tbh. I’ve just bought £80k of Nexus 9K switches at work. Not that I think the Arista higher models would meet their requirements, they won’t even be looked at now.

Associate
Hi, I’m looking for some advice on whether to get a Ubiquiti CloudKey or a one of the UniFi Consoles for my home set up.

We’ve moved into a new house and I’m currently remodelling it so taking the opportunity to install cat6 cable around the property. I have 2 x WiFi 6 Lite access points ready to go as well.

I’m planning to set it all up in a network cabinet so have the space for anything really. I have a Netgear PoE switch that I got of eBay too.

I currently have Vodafone broadband with their router and as full fibre is being set up in the areas around me, I’m hoping to have that in the next few months / year.

I don’t need anything fancy necessarily, just need good, consistent network across the house. I like the idea of having the Ubiquiti software.

Should I get a Dream Machine Pro, Dream Machine Router or a Cloud Key?

Ta,

Mike

Soldato
You don’t actually need any of the above unless you want to go deep into the ecosystem.

If you just want to run their access points, a could key is not required. The Unifi network software can run on anything, even a pi.

If you want to spend a lot of money and replace your ISP router then either of them are fine.

They are different products that have different capabilities so go with the one that best fits your needs rather than the one with the most bells and whistles that you’ll never use.

You’ll find most on here don’t rate their routers but at the end of the day, if you are a home users and not really getting into the weeds of the capabilities of more advanced routers, they are fine, just expensive if you don’t need what they offer.

Associate
You don’t actually need any of the above unless you want to go deep into the ecosystem.

If you just want to run their access points, a could key is not required. The Unifi network software can run on anything, even a pi.

If you want to spend a lot of money and replace your ISP router then either of them are fine.

They are different products that have different capabilities so go with the one that best fits your needs rather than the one with the most bells and whistles that you’ll never use.

You’ll find most on here don’t rate their routers but at the end of the day, if you are a home users and not really getting into the weeds of the capabilities of more advanced routers, they are fine, just expensive if you don’t need what they offer.

Thanks for that. Very interesting about running it of a Pi; that would definitely tick a box as I’ve wanted one to play with for a while!

I’m happy to use the ISP router; I can’t really see any benefits of not for general home use.

I guess I could do the Pi thing and upgrade if needed in the future.

Soldato
You don't even need a Pi, the controller software will run on a PC/mac as well. TBH after initial set-up not a lot needs doing in general other than periodic firmware updates, I haven't fired up the controller since configuring guest wifi at the start of lockdown for WFH.

Back
Top Bottom