*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I’m after an AP for my garden. The mounting point would be inside in my attic, at the edge closest to the garden. I’ve got cabling in place already for PoE. Any recommendations? I say inside as I don’t want to get up a ladder high enough to fix it to the external wall or soffit.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I'd probably say the UAP-AC-M-EU (Access Point AC Mesh) mounting it inside reduce the signal quiet a bit, if you are after a WiFi 6 device the U6-LR maybe better.

Both options can also be mounted outside as well, the U6-LR (IP54) would need a element of cover so mounting it to a soffit would be ideal.

Soldato
I'd probably say the UAP-AC-M-EU (Access Point AC Mesh) mounting it inside reduce the signal quiet a bit, if you are after a WiFi 6 device the U6-LR maybe better.

Both options can also be mounted outside as well, the U6-LR (IP54) would need a element of cover so mounting it to a soffit would be ideal.
My experience with the ‘outdoor but covered’ access points is that they’re only really outdoor rated on a veranda or something like a big covered porch. They actually rust inside the RJ45 socket and when you try to do a warranty claim they just say yiu didn’t protect it enough. IP54? It just means it will withstand a light water spray.

For outdoor use I would always go with the UAP-AC-Mesh, Mesh Pro, U6-Mesh or UAP-FlexHD. They’re all properly sealed and you can attach them to drain downpipes with the supplied tie-wraps.

And that’s what I would do in this case. Mounting an access point inside a soffit with probably work a little bit but a lot of soffits seem to have metal backing strips and for the sake of a very small hole in the soffit I’d run a cable out and tie-wrap the AP to a drain downpipe. If it’s a rented property and you need to make it good a dab of multi-purpose filler will sort you out.

Soldato
I’m after an AP for my garden. The mounting point would be inside in my attic, at the edge closest to the garden. I’ve got cabling in place already for PoE. Any recommendations? I say inside as I don’t want to get up a ladder high enough to fix it to the external wall or soffit.a
If it’s just a case of not having a long enough ladder most TV installers will do this for buttons money. And it will work properly.

Man of Honour
Cheers, will look at the UAP-FlexHD and speak to some local TV installers.

No real requirement for higher throughput, it’s to stop my phone and other devices falling off the main house Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Are the lites the WAPs that support 24v? I’ve got an injector spare for my in laws but trawling spec sheets is…

Nm I took a look, the unifi6 waps are 48v.. do I need to look for older/second hand models? They want to put a wap in an out building, and if possible using this injector would be ideal

Soldato
Are the lites the WAPs that support 24v? I’ve got an injector spare for my in laws but trawling spec sheets is…

Nm I took a look, the unifi6 waps are 48v.. do I need to look for older/second hand models? They want to put a wap in an out building, and if possible using this injector would be ideal

Why fixate on using the injector? You'll need to buy a second hand AP to find one that's 24v.

From memory it'll need to be an AP-AC-LR or AP-AC-Lite that was produced prior to September 2016. I wouldn't go spending money on an AP that's at least 6 years old.

Caporegime
Why fixate on using the injector? You'll need to buy a second hand AP to find one that's 24v.

From memory it'll need to be an AP-AC-LR or AP-AC-Lite that was produced prior to September 2016. I wouldn't go spending money on an AP that's at least 6 years old.
Oh it’s purely only because I have one. Whereas a newer AP will require a new injector - I think they don’t ship them anymore by default.

Soldato
I would go UAP-AC-LR over the U6-Pro. Or a big daddy coverage access point like a UAP-AC-(S)HD.

In testing I’ve not seen anyone saying the U6 access points give better coverage than the AC access points (often worse). All UniFi access points will mesh so no need to spend huge amounts of money especially as the AC ones are very cheap used these days.
I went with the big daddy AC HD and a U6 mesh cylinder thingy. At least now my Ring doorbell works properly.
Think I'm probably over "wifi'd" now so have moved an AC pro into the garage for Garden coverage.
I've not found any dead spots yet.

Soldato
I went with the big daddy AC HD and a U6 mesh cylinder thingy. At least now my Ring doorbell works properly.
Think I'm probably over "wifi'd" now so have moved an AC pro into the garage for Garden coverage.
I've not found any dead spots yet.

Those HD access points are massive :)

Im not sure how long the UAP-AC-Pro will last in the garden. It’s just a rubber boot that keeps the water out.

Soldato

As far as I’m aware UBNT never took the 24V functionality off the UAP-AC- Lite, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-Mesh and Mesh Pro. Prior to May 2017 the UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-Mesh were 24V only but after May 2017 they could do both. It’s fairly useless functionality now unless you want to power something off a Mikrotik hEX or something like that that only outputs 24V passive.

I have UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-Mesh with late 2020 build dates on my bench that work fine with 24V passive from a USW-16-PoE.

Soldato
As far as I’m aware UBNT never took the 24V functionality off the UAP-AC- Lite, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-Mesh and Mesh Pro. Prior to May 2017 the UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-Mesh were 24V only but after May 2017 they could do both. It’s fairly useless functionality now unless you want to power something off a Mikrotik hEX or something like that that only outputs 24V passive.

I have UAP-AC-LR and UAP-AC-Mesh with late 2020 build dates on my bench that work fine with 24V passive from a USW-16-PoE.

I stand corrected, you're quite right. I don't know why I had it in my head that they'd removed the 24v power option, maybe I got confused with the newer switches as I know they don't output 24v.

Soldato
I stand corrected, you're quite right. I don't know why I had it in my head that they'd removed the 24v power option, maybe I got confused with the newer switches as I know they don't output 24v.
Yes, the community asked them not to do it and now they’re launching a whole new range of ISP switches that do both 24V and 48V because the WISP folks like their 24V and WISP is huge for UBNT.

The new silver patch frames look nice though. It will save me getting silver paint all over my clothes :)

Soldato
Those HD access points are massive :)

Im not sure how long the UAP-AC-Pro will last in the garden. It’s just a rubber boot that keeps the water out.
Its inside the garage. (small bungalow) But at the moment its connected to the network via a powerline adapter.
Could I "mesh" that one as via the PL were only getting 30mbs

Back
Top Bottom