• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official Zotac rep underfire on Reddit with regards to the 1 - 3 % lower performance..

Soldato
I've cancelled my Zotac pre-order. I wanted to do some heavy OC on this generation and the Zotac cooling looked pretty good. I mistakenly assumed that the benchmark would be FE and that PCB and cooling improvements would be on AIB cards. Obviously I wasn't able to check reviews and that before ordering.

Having seen the reviews and also knowing that EVGA, Gigabyte and Asus are doing a 3x8 pin model, I've gone for the Asus Strix 3080, non OC variant. It's the cheapest card with 3 pins that is currently available for pre order. The EVGA FTW3 is £10 cheaper, but cannot be pre ordered. If I'm able to get an EVGA before hand, I'll cancel my Asus.
Unfortunately these cards don't scale well with power as even when shunt modded to 500w your looking at a 6-7% over stock.

Associate
OP
Another review for the Zotac trinity rtx 3080..says it is not as fast as the FE, but with a overclock it comes close to the FE...

Small overclock ability, the fans where set to 100 percent RPM.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9599/zotac-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity/index.html#Introduction

"It won't beat the Founders Edition out of the box, and with its very, very small overclock you will get pretty close to the RTX 3080 FE performance."

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9599/zotac-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity/index.html#Benchmarks-4K

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the Zotac 3080 and compared my Horizon Zero Dawn FPS (around 70 most of the time) to hardware unboxed reviews of the FE and its pretty spot on (around 70 fps) its hard to gauge exactly as there is no prebuilt benchmark but I'll have a look at Haven or TimeSpy and post some benchmark results

Soldato
I've got the Zotac 3080 and compared my Horizon Zero Dawn FPS (around 70 most of the time) to hardware unboxed reviews of the FE and its pretty spot on (around 70 fps) its hard to gauge exactly as there is no prebuilt benchmark but I'll have a look at Haven or TimeSpy and post some benchmark results

Horizon Zero Dawn does have a benchmark, in the graphics section, look in the bottom right for the key to launch it.

Associate
Interesting benchmark results @ 4k ultra:

• Stock 75fps
  • Power limits and temps maxed with 100% fan 75fps
  • +700 memory with power,temp & 100% fan 72fps

I re-tested this a number of times with the same results, also worth mentioning that frequency was left stock as any increase causes crashed in HZD, watching the benchmarks run its boosting frequency around high 1800's to low 1900's, a very occasional peak into the 2000's

Caporegime
Interesting benchmark results @ 4k ultra:

• Stock 75fps
  • Power limits and temps maxed with 100% fan 75fps
  • +700 memory with power,temp & 100% fan 72fps

I re-tested this a number of times with the same results, also worth mentioning that frequency was left stock as any increase causes crashed in HZD, watching the benchmarks run its boosting frequency around high 1800's to low 1900's, a very occasional peak into the 2000's

You do know the memory has error correcting so as you overclock the memory then once it reaches its maximum performance, after that it will start and get slower and slower as you raise the overclock?

Associate
You do know the memory has error correcting so as you overclock the memory then once it reaches its maximum performance, after that it will start and get slower and slower as you raise the overclock?

Wasn't aware of that, I was testing in 100mhz increments and never noticed any meaningful gains from 0 - 700 but it did start to drop FPS the higher the memory frequency went so that would make sense, looking like little to no OC headroom on this card then.........

Caporegime
Wasn't aware of that, I was testing in 100mhz increments and never noticed any meaningful gains from 0 - 700 but it did start to drop FPS the higher the memory frequency went so that would make sense, looking like little to no OC headroom on this card then.........

Hmmm strange then as you really should have seen a performance increase as you raising the memory,. In reviews the best fps gains have come from overclocking the memory (although obviously not past a certain point)

Whats your temps?

Associate
Afterburner was reporting "power" as the perfcap I believe.

Temps we're around 60 - 70 degrees with fans set to 100% but my card is vertically mounted so it could go cooler tbh

Caporegime
Afterburner was reporting "power" as the perfcap I believe.

Temps we're around 60 - 70 degrees with fans set to 100% but my card is vertically mounted so it could go cooler tbh

Overlocking these cards are weird. What might be happening is that cause you are at max overall card power, as you increase the memory frequency the memory uses more power so the boost drops to keep your card below the max envelope. Overall you then gain nothing in fps.

Plus I have said it before, Nvidia has launched this chips almost maxed out in power so very little to be gained from the home overclocker, maybe 4% at best.

Associate
Overlocking these cards are weird. What might be happening is that cause you are at max overall card power, as you increase the memory frequency the memory uses more power so the boost drops to keep your card below the max envelope. Overall you then gain nothing in fps.

Yeah that was my assumption also, the increase power demands of the OC'd memory must be lowering average GPU frequency, I might export a few runs to CSV and average the data to find out.

its disappointing as I wanted to water cool this card in the future but not much point of that....even with an updated bios, should we get one, I heard zotac stripped quite a lot from the PCB so its not sounding like a good candidate.

Caporegime
Yeah that was my assumption also, the increase power demands of the OC'd memory must be lowering average GPU frequency, I might export a few runs to CSV and average the data to find out.

its disappointing as I wanted to water cool this card in the future but not much point of that....even with an updated bios, should we get one, I heard zotac stripped quite a lot from the PCB so its not sounding like a good candidate.

Yeah lots of gaps on the zotac boards. They really cut them down for the budget

Associate
If i'd of known I'd of gone for the ASUS TUF, oh well that's what I get for selling my 1080ti and being desperate for a new card lol.

I mean the performance is excellent and you cant complain at 4k60+ in basically everything but its the principle lol

Back
Top Bottom