Oh no! Another Spec me thread!

Soldato
Hi,

Just had my old car wrote off after a guy decided the break and the accelerator were too similar and accelerated into my parked car!

That leaves me around 3K to spend on a new car (EDIT: insurance is already taken care of so 3 to 3.5k to spend).

Ideally I'd like just a standard 4 door car. The only additional feature I have to have is Air Con which is pretty standard now-a-days.

Any ideas? Or is it the usual Mondeo? If such any advice on what to look for when viewing?

Cheers,

M.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ideally:

Manual Drive
Cover around 12k to 13k milage a year. Mainly motorway or 50MPH roads. Commuting into work is mainly 50MPH road and around 10miles each way (so average is around 22 miles as I have to pick up the mrs at night).
I use pool cars for anything work related.

M.

Soldato
OP
Old car was an Octavia Estate 1.9SLX Diesel - it was an old pool car. I had it around 12 months and never had a problem with it and, according to the onboard computer, could get around 55MPG to and from work. Obviously not looking for that but something around 40MPG would good.

M.

P.S. Not bothered about having an estate either - I'd prefer a standard car.

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
depends what you're looking for really..
mondeos can be a bit boring

look at Saabs; 9-3, 9-5. a lot of car for the money and they usually come well equipped

if you liked the octavia, you could always get a vRS. they seem to fetch ~£3k..

Soldato
depends what you're looking for really..
mondeos can be a bit boring

look at Saabs; 9-3, 9-5. a lot of car for the money and they usually come well equipped

if mondeos are boring, then a tarted up vectra isnt going to be interesting...

Soldato
OP
Thanks.

Does anyone have any views on the Lexus IS200 ? Particularly in relation to running costs?

Thanks again.

M.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't rule them out. I had a Golf before and it was great. May be a little small for what I'm looking for but it's certainly a consideration and one to add to the list on Autotrader!

M.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
don't get a golf 4 tdi

they're overpriced and you're not doing high enough mileage to warrant a diesel so don't waste your time

Soldato
OP
Hmm Saabs... worth a look I suppose - can't seem to find any good Octavia VRS's in the Gloucester region though...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
travel then. why limit yourself to a small radius?
obviously there's no point in driving to john o'groats, but be realistic

Soldato
OP
Trying 30 miles around Gloucester at the moment - travellings fine as long as you know you are going to get the car and drive back otherwise it becomes a bit of a mare as all of my mates are in the Stoke region and the Mrs doesn't drive it becomes a PITA to get anywhere and then collect something.

Associate
Leon 1.8T, Toledo 1.8T or V5 if you're not too fussed about fuel consumption.
Neither of these nor the Octavia vRS or Saabs will get to 40mpg though, you'll be lucky to get 35mpg out of any of them.

Top Bottom