Oh noooooes! rover disease! spec me a new car pls!

Soldato
Yep.....My uber ultra reliable mg zr 120+ has finally screwed up :p

I was driving along the motorway today and it seemed to suddendly lose power, i look down at the gauges and notice the temp is 3/4 of the way up the bar instead of 1/2, then i also noticed my mileage was on 36,666 (lol, how bizarre?). Seconds later i had to pull over as power totally went.

Realised my time was up! and its just been diagnosed as HGF.

So what car next !

I know roughly what i want and it'll be along the lines of a big saloon / biggish hatch with reasonable power, ie accord type-r but to some degree i'd rather get something a little more common and less of an enthusiasts car, the 530i's obviously a possibility but in a lot of ways i'd prefer an mg zt 190+ for the (in all likelyhood) cheaper running costs/servicing.

Is there anything i'm overlooking? Budget 4.5k-5k.

Requirements

* bigger than current car!
* approx 200bhp
* not too much of an enthusiasts car
* not a mondeo and / or st220
* Comfortable
* nothing with too serious image issues!
* extras a bonus but not essential
any suggestions very welcome!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes

Theres difficult circumstances behind the car.

Long story short...

1) Got HPI check which came up clear , bought mg zr
2) got a knock on the door a week later saying car has finance remaining from a previous owner.
3) I explain i have hpi check which is clear
4) They can't take it off me because of this, but because they have a claim over it then it is illegal for me to sell it
5) Been basically saving up for a little bit for a few years for a new one when i got a few repairs come up at once on it, which is now.
6) budget been hampered by recent pc upgrades / plasma purchases etc! But still 5k ish

Bottom line is, i can't sell this and its really too small for me as i'm well over 6ft so its cut my losses time really. Keeping the car is not a viable option for me unless i intended on keeping it another 2-3 years which i don't.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Soldato
Octy VRS?dont think you'd get a good st220 for this money anyway.....but it is the best car in the class you're looking at.

Soldato
Theres difficult circumstances behind the car.

Long story short...

1) Got HPI check which came up clear , bought mg zr
2) got a knock on the door a week later saying car has finance remaining from a previous owner.
3) I explain i have hpi check which is clear
4) They can't take it off me because of this, but because they have a claim over it then it is illegal for me to sell it
5) Been basically saving up for a little bit for a few years for a new one when i got a few repairs come up at once on it, which is now.
6) budget been hampered by recent pc upgrades / plasma purchases etc! But still 5k ish

Bottom line is, i can't sell this and its really too small for me as i'm well over 6ft so its cut my losses time really.

Soldato
Octy VRS?dont think you'd get a good st220 for this money anyway.....but it is the best car in the class you're looking at.

I'd agree but i don't know if its really me :(

I'll have to look more into these Octy VRS's as i've heard quite a bit about them on here, how much for a good one ?

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions so far! checking them all out :)

Just looking now and it seems a head gasket can be done as low as £300 ? i thought it was nearer £700 !

hmmm decisions decisions !

Last edited: