1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh Phillip Green

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by SPG, Oct 25, 2018.

1. SPG

Soldato

I really really do hope you get stripped of your knighthood and spend the rest of your days in jail ideally an American jail.

No doubt his chums in the conservative party will save his evil arse again and he can carry on spending the pensions of 1000s of workers he stole.

2. The Geezer

Wise Guy

He has a long list of crimes in my IMHO.

Being a domicile being the biggest, he has questionable tax arrangements having his wife own the businesses he runs and registered off shore.

I’m not surprised he’s been fiddling with his staff against their will.

3. Nasher

Capodecina

Fingers in many pies :D

4. Rossi~

Capodecina

FTFY ;)

5. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I'm not sure I approve of MP's and Lords using Parliamentary Privilege to bypass the rulings of our courts. Everyone gets shirty when newspapers **** off judges but members of the Parliament are part of our legal system of governance and undermining another branch of this seems wrong. I can see that if the courts have failed to act in the public interest there is an argument to be made for the behaviour but I'm not convinced the full legal and judicial process had been completed the same outcome might have been reached by appeal. Also so far as I'm aware no crime is being investigated so far, only being a nasty git.

I'm not defending Phillip Green prior to this there was plenty to find him distasteful about but the way it has come about is not necessarily good for our democracy.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

It's perfectly fine for our democracy, billionaires that steal money from their employees deserve flogging.

7. SPG

Soldato

I can see your point, however the decision to use this privilege on this occasion is quite simply the right thing to do and I commend the MP for doing so. (OMG what is the world coming to) The privilege in itself is check and balance of our system. A system which has been abused by Green for many years (it seems) He needs to cleaned out along with his corrupt family.

8. Nasher

Capodecina

It's only supposed to be used in situations like this though. They have had the power to do it for 100s of years.

Green has a knighthood (which actually come from the people of the UK, not the Queen), is already on shaky ground for robbing peoples pensions, and is taking us all for mugs.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  9. cheesyboy

Capodecina

I know what you mean, and a part of me had this reaction.

However, I think if you take this one on its merit, it was the correct and morally 'right' thing to do. Justice is being served in some form, which would not have been so without this intervention.

Using possibly-excessive powers to keep excessively powerful individuals in check seems ok, really.

10. HazardO

Underboss

Much as I think he deserves unmasking, I'm generally uneasy with it. Justice needs to be fair, it must not take into account who a perpetrator is or who their victims are but simply whether a law has been broken.
    If justice through the courts is failing in some cases, then parliament should change the laws to fix that. An unmasking in parliament isn't even justice, it's a political lynching. What if there are others in similar positions who are not being unmasked because they have a more favorable relationship with members of parliament or a political party in power? It provides an environment where serious corruption and blackmail can thrive.

11. SPG

Soldato

Thrive, are you serious ? It is thriving, thriving in the background, just because Green is mega Rich he can threaten people with NDA because if you do not take the money he will set his lawyer dogs on you and your life will be hell compared to taking X thousands of pounds to keep your mouth shut.

Looks like number 10 are refusing calls to strip him of his knighthood...surprise surprise.... Their is your corruption thrown straight into your face in broad daylight.

12. cheesyboy

Capodecina

I think this is quite a good response:
    Green is a man who has much more power than the rest of us when it comes to what he can get away with. Sometimes, it's hard to make laws robust enough to keep these guys in check without compromising the liberty of the common man.

Just taking this particular case on its merits, rather than extrapolating to what-ifs, The System seems to have gotten something right. Let's not blunt a tool that has not been used unreasonably, just to protect future Philip Greens.

13. Uther

Sgarrista

Should have lost his knighthood after the BHS debacle IMO, but they do all like to protect each other. This time though he might not be so lucky, and he'll no doubt be crying into his Moet whilst cruising on his yacht if it happens.

14. PlacidCasual

Soldato

I didn't know this when I commented but it makes me more positive that this was not the reasonable use of Parliamentary Privilege, justice should have been allowed to follow its course before Lord Hain made his comments and undermined the judicial process. We might have been robbed of an important ruling that prevents these ridiculous injunctions in future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45989404

15. SPG

Soldato

Which makes me think justice would not have been served, Justice has been served a higher power of justice then the justice system itself and rightly so. Just because Green doesn't like it does not make it justice itself.

Parliament check the check the checker, the free press checks parliament.

16. StriderX

Capodecina

Lol they'll never get rid of the injunctions, it helps too many high-profile establishment figures hide their sexual harassment under the British States rotting rug.

The fact this piece of **** is still a knight, is beyond me.

17. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

You only have to lok at the papers to see people named for various crimes, sexual or otherwise. Rich people should not be able to buy anonimity. Either everyone is fair game or nobody is named until after they are convicted.

18. PikeyPriest

Wise Guy

I disagree with super injunctions anyway. They are only available to those who have 80-100k to spend on a simple one. If there are challenges..etc the costs sky rocket even further. They are a legal luxury that only the richest 0.5% can afford and aren’t part of a fair or balanced justice system.

19. PikeyPriest

Wise Guy

I don’t think it would have changed anything as he would have appealed to the Supreme Court if he didn’t get the answer he wanted. These injunction will only go away when they are worthless (information revealed anyway) or law is changed. Anyone rich enough can seek them at present and the reasoning why is varied and in many cases poor.

20. Nasher

Capodecina

The secret is out now so knighthood or not, his reputation is ruined.

No amount of money is going to stop people thinking he is a sex pest for the rest of his life, anyone who meets him will have it on their mind. That must be pretty stressful for him.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018