Ok ps3 and wii into my monitor...

Associate
Right trying to figure out the best way to do this. I have a Wii and I may be getting a ps3 soon. No HDTV, but I do have a dell 2007wfp which had a hdcp dvi slot (in use with the pc) and a vga.

Ok questions.
Whats the best method for each console to connect? ps3 is digital so I presume best to stick with an hdmi to dvi cable/adapter, of course this means having to unplug the pc but I guess it'll do. As for the wii vga cable? I'm aware of a vga cable that works with both, but surely going from digital to analogue on the ps3 isn't a good idea?

Second question is sound. Take the ps3, use a hdmi to dvi cable, then use the composite red and white cables for sound. Ok but how do I go about connecting those 2 cables to my headphones? I'd need a y cable to convert the 2 into 1. But my headphones are male and the only splitters I can find are stereo females into the single male. So could I do line in on my sound card then output through the headphones that way? PC would have to stay on though :/

Hmm. Complicated.

Last edited:
Soldato
for audio, i'd suggest an rca stereo adapter and a 3.5mm coupler. just plug the red and white cables into the rca adapter, coupler into the rca, headphone jack into coupler again :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I can only answer for the PS3.

1/ As long as your monitor is HDCP, just stick it in with a DVI/HDMI cable and it works like a charm. I also have to plug in and unplug my PC which is a pain but not the end of the world.

2/ Right, firstly you can set up through the sound settings in the menu to allow you to use the composite cables for sound, and the HDMI out for video.

I do something similar for sound. I have the y-cable, which ends in a male connector, but I've also got hold of a female-female adapter (think I got it from Radioshack in the States, but try an auction site!) which works nicely :)

EDIT: In fact, the picture posted above looks exactly like my setup - think the female-female is the same (certainly the same metal style) and even the desk is the same! Scary :D

Back
Top Bottom