Ok...so its Dec 31st. Your personal GOTY ?

Soldato
Yep, breaks rule #3 for this year. If it goes full release next year then maybe it will make a showing on the GOTY 2022 thread :)
Can we allow early access titles for 2022?

Some are way better than "released titles" and a good game is a good game regardless if its a 0.5 version vs 1.x version.

I mean come on bro, a game is a game right?

So long as its playable by anyone who purchases it, it should be included IMO as the title says "GAME OF THE YEAR", not "Version 1.0 Game of the year"

And before you say "Well its a early access beta/alpha that means it is not complete" What game is complete?

Nowadays, technically every game is early access/beta as they continue to fix bugs and add new content and features(AC Valhala says hello) and games like BF2042, well that game is in a much worse state than valheim.

Sorry i just feel that rule you have does not sit right with me IMO.

Hopefully you will re-consider that rule and change it for 2022

Soldato

Some are way better than "released titles" and a good game is a good game regardless if its a 0.5 version vs 1.x version.

So long as its playable by anyone who purchases it, it should be included IMO as the title says "GAME OF THE YEAR", not "Version 1.0 Game of the year"

And before you say "Well its a early access beta/alpha that means it is not complete" What game is complete?

Nowadays, technically every game is early access/beta as they continue to fix bugs and add new content and features(AC Valhala says hello) and games like BF2042, well that game is in a much worse state than valheim.

yeqY4FA.jpg

Man of Honour
OP

For my entire gaming life (well, since the advent of the concept of Early Access anyway) I have never included non release games in my GOTY awards, hell I've played Betas that are more feature complete than some Early Access games so where would I draw the line, do I then have to include betas in the GOTY award on that basis? I mean should Star Citizen be allowed for example? Most official awards wouldnt even contemplate allowing Star Citizen as a nominee for GOTY in its current position, yet you could argue the case that Star Citizen has more content than many early access titles. See the problem? There has to be a cut off point and for me the simplest and most obvious cut off point has always been 1.0.

My GOTY always have that 1.0 release stipulation and it will have again in 2022 because those are the rules I apply to myself when deciding what my personal GOTY is. If you want to include EA titles in 2022 there is nothing to stop you from making a thread next year for GOTY including EA titles, its not like my thread is an official OCUK thread or anything, its just my own little thread, it carries no meaning or official capacity about it. Its pretty much just a thread born out of my own curiosity of what people would pick as their GOTY in comparison to my own choice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I cant think of any... if I had to choose probably RE8. Very disappointing year.

It has been a very disappointing year, especially with so many titles not doing as well as expected. I'm hoping that is down to Covid effects rather than a drop in talent, hopefully 2022 will be a better year. There are some really promising titles due in 2022 (then again I said that at the start of 2021 about the 2021 games too)

Associate
It has been a very disappointing year, especially with so many titles not doing as well as expected. I'm hoping that is down to Covid effects rather than a drop in talent, hopefully 2022 will be a better year. There are some really promising titles due in 2022 (then again I said that at the start of 2021 about the 2021 games too)
Yeah there is quite a few I am looking forward to in 2022 much better lineup than 2021.. Dying Light 2, Elden Ring, Plague Tale 2, Stalker 2, Elex 2, Ghostwire & Total War Warhammer 3. Hope none are flops although I'm a bit sceptical of Stalker 2.

Soldato
For my entire gaming life (well, since the advent of the concept of Early Access anyway) I have never included non release games in my GOTY awards, hell I've played Betas that are more feature complete than some Early Access games so where would I draw the line, do I then have to include betas in the GOTY award on that basis? I mean should Star Citizen be allowed for example? Most official awards wouldnt even contemplate allowing Star Citizen as a nominee for GOTY in its current position, yet you could argue the case that Star Citizen has more content than many early access titles. See the problem? There has to be a cut off point and for me the simplest and most obvious cut off point has always been 1.0.

My GOTY always have that 1.0 release stipulation and it will have again in 2022 because those are the rules I apply to myself when deciding what my personal GOTY is. If you want to include EA titles in 2022 there is nothing to stop you from making a thread next year for GOTY including EA titles, its not like my thread is an official OCUK thread or anything, its just my own little thread, it carries no meaning or official capacity about it. Its pretty much just a thread born out of my own curiosity of what people would pick as their GOTY in comparison to my own choice.
Actually, Valheim is included in many pc website's/social media as a potential GOTY if not the GOTY but i see where your going at.

I dont feel valheim is a early access title only by name as its stable as rock, barely any bugs and offers 1000+h of content .

Did you play it? Would you put that on your top 5 favourite game you played last year(be in early access, beta etc etc or not?)

Back
Top Bottom