• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OK, what ever happened to Passive coolers?

Man of Honour
I'd say that idle fan stop made it partially redundant and plenty of brands have coolers that are very quiet when gaming. If you have a small PC for casual use then you can just get an APU/IGP so need to even buy a graphics card. I think silent computing in general is much less of a thing now we have CPUs/GPUs clocking down and such large case and graphics card fans and SSDs.

Soldato
Caporegime
Raijintek still do them...
I don't think either are designed to be run passive. The fins are too close together and the card blocks effective convection.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Even the CPU passive ones are only designed to shift <100w, so that puts most GPU's out of the running, some of them give the option of adding a fan and doing so doubles the tdp (e.g. 65w to 130w) but even with a fan you aren't going to be cooling more than a 3050/1660

Soldato
I'd say combination of hotter gpu chips AND memory, arguably more on the memory when you consider how hot some get now. Also likely to get worse with next gen.

Throw in fans that can stop/start as needed and for most people passive isn't really needed, hell my 1060 6gb doesn't even spin up unless I'm in a game (admittedly 3x120mm fans blowing upwards onto gpu likely help lol).

Soldato
Thanks Murphy but as Minstadave said the fins are very close together and i couldn't find anything online with anyone trying to use the passive.
If there a reason for going totally passive?

Only reason i ask is because going totally passive is a big ask, even the best (most expensive) solutions barely manage to tame some higher end hardware (+200 W), a 120mm fan running at 300-500 RPM makes things much easier.
Is Fan stop a software or hardware thing, will it work in Linux?
Hardware AFAIK.

If Linux is your concern you can setup lm-sensors and use a fan control program.

Caporegime
isn't it a fancurve thing although loads of cards surely have it default int he firmware anyway

I use afterburner for a custom fan curve either way no idea if they do a linux version though
MlmeOys.jpg

Some case fans can be stopped as well although a bunch still run at 300rpm.

Soldato
It's part of the fan curve programmed into the card's BIOS. Some cards have a pretty annoying default behaviour though, from starting the fans at too low of a temperature to pulsing behaviour at lower fan speed percentages to massive overshoot when the fans initially turn on. That can usually be mitigated with a custom fan curve.

And yes, there are a whole bunch of tools available to do that under Linux, such as CoreCtrl for AMD cards. GreenWithEnvy is the easiest one to use for Nvidia cards and will also handle overclocking and power limits. Not undervolting though, sadly, as Nvidia refuse to allow voltage control in their proprietary Linux driver. No such issue with AMD or Intel since their drivers are open source.

Back
Top Bottom