Old F1 Tyre

Caporegime
Anyone know of anywhere I could buy one? I had a full wet from the early 90's that we nabbed from Silverstone years ago, but I trashed it as a kid. My cousin has one of the massively wide rear tyres from the 70's or 80's that he uses as a coffee table and Id love one, but they bay doesnt have any for sale (well, it has one wet like I used to have, but thats not big enough).

Associate
If you have any drag strips near you I would advise going there, even if its not a 'real' one, because very often when I go to them you get a few americans with their huge american tyred cars that just leave the tyres there at the end because their useless and illegal. If not I agree with Bug One, next time you're at a race track ask a one of the teams if they have any worn out tyres they don't want, or offer them a tenner, their usually more than happy to give their knackered stuff away, I had a rear wing from a F3 car when I was little on my roof, it was a sweet feature.

Associate
I have an F1 tyre that i currently use as a coffee table.
i think it is from the era when they were all taken back by goodyear, so i am not supposed to have it ;) From the mid 90's pre grooved era

Soldato
Have a look on the bay again using the words "formula 1 tyre" and there's a set of two (one front, one rear) slicks, possibly from the 80's on there.

Caporegime
OP
I doubt you will get any modern ones as they are all taken away for analysis afaik.

Dont really want a modern one, there too small too.

Last time I was at the BTCC at Brands Hatch they were giving them away for free.

Not F1 tyres, but they were big and slick.

Yeah, most non F1 events give them away. But touring car tyres are always a bit boring though. Was at the DTM and hundreds of people were leaving with uber thin walled gravel filled trashed DTM tyres that were good for nothing, or 14" Formula Ford tyres, again, good for nothing.

I have an F1 tyre that i currently use as a coffee table.
i think it is from the era when they were all taken back by goodyear, so i am not supposed to have it ;) From the mid 90's pre grooved era

The original I had was a mid 90's pre groved Goodyear, I think we stole it from a karting track, but was to young to remember. Well annoyed that I trashed it.

Gonna check the bay again.

Soldato
There is one in a local garage here being used as a coffee table. I still think the V8 block glass table Top Gear have is muchos cooler though :p

Associate
I've been conpemplating the table idea with a Ferrari or Lambo wheel from work, there was a damaged Carrera GT rim, but it was a bit too bad to use for display.

Caporegime
OP
A lot of the straight line testing [Idiada] tyres stay at the factory, i will ask some questions.

Is it only the race weekend ones that need to go back then?

Also, is it true what ive heard that demo runs must be done on some uber hard 'usless for racing' compound?

And im guessing your up late to watch Practice aswell then. Either that or your in Japan.

Soldato
On data duty!!

A lot of data comes back from the circuit on a Friday and tonight i volunteered to help sort through it.

Don
one washed up on our beach when I was 10

I dragged it out of the water and hid it in a bush, hours later some local guy nabbed it :/

he said he still has it in his house now :)

15 years later

Back
Top Bottom