Old games that look worse than you remembered

Associate
Janes F15 flight sim - it was so brilliantly realistic that I upgraded to a P600 and Voodoo Banshee for smooth AA gameplay. I also played Falcon 4 by Microprose at the same time, but that has improved over time with mods.
Janes Longbow was my mates favourite game, I remember standing behind him watching him tank plinking with mavericks across a vast landscape. But now, they look like square blobs.

Soldato
The original Deus Ex. Had great memories of it- the graphics, the explosions that shook buildings... But cant even look at it without smiling nowadays- looks shocking:)

On the other hand, another game from 2001 still looks good to my eyes - Pro Evo Soccer 1 (I play it on the PS2 emulator). Killer Instinct 1 from arcades looked eye poppingly cool back in 1996 and still does to this day imo. Il2 sturmovik is also a 2001 game and still looks good.
So not all games age badly:)

Caporegime
Homeworld. - its just 5 pixels of texture per ship

Half life by a long way .. lol

Unreal tournament too - i got the collection from a steam offer a while back, and fired it up ... laughed and turned it off.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I never played FF7 when it came out and tried it I dunno probably about 8 years ago, looked complete pony with a naff control system so I dropped it after about 30mins.

Bit surprised to see Unreal mentioned as I think it has aged reasonably well.

Associate
Commander Keen 4 :D or the original prince of persia - I remember playing it on an old pc way back when with an orange monitor thinking it looked amazing. Saw a a picture the other day and it makes you realise how far we have come!!

I know this isn't exactly where u were going with the thread but.... I was given Sega classics for the PS3 and fired it up for the kids recently (they 8 and 9). Had been telling them how amazing Sonic the Hodgepig was.........

Last edited:
Soldato
Pretty much every game I've ever played looks a bit more naff than I thought it did... It's kinda weird and upsetting. Kinda wish I could look at them now and feel like I did back then!

Pretty much everything.

This.

I can cope with **** graphics, but what does irritate me is a game running at 640x480. I know a lot of PC games can be modded/patched to allow 1080p/1200p gaming though.

I personally think the PS1 had everything as it had an epic catalogue of games, but they just look so awful when played on a PS1 or PS2 on an HD tele. The PS3 does upscale them but that is all it does, it doesn't actually render them at 1080p.

I remember a few years ago a person on here played FF7 on PC and because he modded it so it ran at 1920x1200 it actually looked perfectly fine.

Associate
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.

I remember playing this game as a little kid and then later on buying The First Decade and playing it straight away. Let's just say I wasn't very happy at how good it looked compared to what I remember it looking like.

Back
Top Bottom