Old games that look worse than you remembered

Man of Honour
I'm sure many of us hardened gamers often view the games of yesteryear through rose-tinted spectacles, nostalgically praising them on internet forums such as this. Sometimes we revisit them and find the game just as we remembered it...

...and sometimes not.

So then, what games do you feel have NOT stood the test of time? I don't mean "what games did you used to like but now think aren't much cop?", I'm looking for games that you were convinced in your head looked a lot better than they actually do, so when you revisit them you are shocked and think something must be wrong with the settings or whatever.

For me, the standout candidate is Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. I remember playing the demo and being really impressed by the scenery and the way flames could burn on crashed cars etc. But a few years ago I tried it again and was shocked at how blocky and dated the graphics looked, a million miles behind that of NFS: Porsche 2000. There's plenty of other old games that look pretty much as I remember them, including games of similar era like Carmageddon etc, but NFS:HP just looks WAY worse.

Associate
The Dark Forces games.

Half Life 1.

X Wing games.

Command and Conquer Red Alert.

As stated I thought HL1 was best thing ever at the time, and the introduction part is brilliant. But the graphics do look very strained to today's standard. It's scary just how far things have come and in a decade or so games that we look in awe today could be nothing compared

Caporegime
I am pretty shocked at how much Half-Life has aged. I know it's a bloody old game and it shouldn't really be a surprise, I was just personally shocked as all my memories are of it looking great way back in the late 90's, that texture pack that came with Blue Shift was awesome. :D

HR4

HR4

Associate
When I started gaming I was watching, what seems like now, a dozen pixels knocking half a dozen pixels around a screen. and thought at the time, they can’t improve on this, its great…

Everything looks good at the time, but really nothing ages that well, graphics wise. I do think of them through rose tinted specs, that’s why I hardly ever go back, just destroys that image..

Still, ‘ping pong tennis’ or whatever they called it, still looks good today, because of its simplicity.. I could still play that for an hour or so.. oh and 'lunar lander' for much the same reason, simplicity..

Caporegime
Off the top of my head, Half Life 1.

@Kelt - one of my first gaming experiences, that's where it all began. Great game! I'm not sure I remember a pink dragon though. :D

Back
Top Bottom