1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old P5Q-Deluxe SATA3 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by quadfreq, Jun 12, 2019 at 11:49 AM.

1. quadfreq

Associate

hello

I have an old ASUS p5q-deluxe. ( 3.5ghz quad), it is just about fast enough for me.

But I am looking for a SATA3 card (pcie?) that would work on this MB for 2, or maybe 4 single ( no raid ) SSD drives
    that uses low power.

using xp and win7 (32 and 64 bit) and ubuntu if possible.

Thank you for any help. on this : )

2. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Don't get hung up on the speed becuse in day to day use you won't actually notice the difference between sata 2 and sata 3. The only time you will notice is when benching the drives. The problem with the cheaper sata 3 cards is that they use chips that actually are not capable of sata 3 speeds. We found this out when the P55 chipset boards launched on socket 1156. While most still had sata 2 some, including my Asus P7P55D-E Pro, had sata 3 support. This sata 3 support was provided by a Marvel 88SE9120 chipset (you will find similar chipsets on the cheaper sata 3 cards) and in reality the speeds that it provided were nowhere near sata 3 speeds and were in fact slower than the Intel sata 2 controller. Most of us reverted to the Intel sata 2 controller as firmware and driver updates did not improve the Marvell controller at all. My next board after that was a Asus Z87 Maximus Hero VI and to be honest I didn't notice any increase in drive speeds apart from when I actually benched my SSD's.

3. hornetstinger

Soldato

Yeah my x55 has marvell sata3 controller and sata 2 intel I use the intel on don't think marvell supports trim either unless they added it in firmware update

4. quadfreq

Associate

Thank you for your replies.

So there are no pcie cards that can make my sata3 ssd drives work faster on my old p45 sata2 board?

I do multi layer editing of uncompressed video, so do stress the sata part of the board a fair bit. ( I place files on different drives to spread the work load)

I read a SAS card would be best for sata3. but they are quite expensive and power hungry, I might as well think about getting an efficient new board.
    with sata3 built in, then increase the ram speed too and get hyper threading : )

its just the $$$$ : /

thank you for your input : )

5. quadfreq

Associate

Hi I did a benchmark in crystaldiskmark 6.0.2 x64 ( win7 64bit, 8gb ddr2 ram, 3.5ghz quad) no ahci.

They seem low compared to other peoples even on sata2 boards.

edit (regards Toshiba drive) I just changed the cable provided by asus with a more modern gigabyte one with a clip on them ( so definitely a sata2 cable) and now it is slightly faster/

SSD disc1 (intel 500gb)

...............READ WRITE
    seq/q32t1 246 248
    4kib/q8t8 46 98
    4kib/Q32t1 45 98
    4kib/Q1t1 42 80

SSD disc 2 Toshiba (224gb)
    ................READ WRITE
    seq/q32t1 247 252
    4kib/q8t8 81 99
    4kib/Q32t1 81 101
    4kib/Q1t1 68 77