Old School FPS Fan Needs An Update!

Associate
Joined
27 Jan 2004
Posts
342
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a modern graphics card (currently got a GeForce 3 ti200 64Mb :p ) and having enjoyed games such as:

Delta Force
Delta Force 2
Project IGI
Vietcong
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

I was wondering what modern games are on the market that you think would take my interest? :) As you can see, I'm totally out of touch with gaming! :p

Thanks in advance
 
Soldato
Joined
30 Jun 2006
Posts
2,631
Location
London/Southampton
Get a decent card like a X1950 or even a G80, then try these:

-Call of Duty series (Call of duty 1+United offensive expansion+Call of duty 2), superb series for the PC and should keep you busy for a bit :)
 
Suspended
Joined
5 Oct 2006
Posts
490
Location
Manchester
Battlefield 2. 64 people battling it out online at once. Helicopters, planes, tanks, APC's, jeep's, boats or on foot with a choice of different classes like medic and spec- op's. Good squad play or you can be commander and direct artillery strikes etc

I have to say I haven't played anything better :)
 
Associate
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
2,062
Location
Glasgow, East Kilbride
MT01XP said:
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a modern graphics card (currently got a GeForce 3 ti200 64Mb :p ) and having enjoyed games such as:

Delta Force
Delta Force 2
Project IGI
Vietcong
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

I was wondering what modern games are on the market that you think would take my interest? :) As you can see, I'm totally out of touch with gaming! :p

Thanks in advance

Sounds like thats an AGP of old card, so you are going to be restricted a bit, I think in terms of upgrades for Graphic cards, unless you are upgrading a whole system. In terms of just upgrading a graphics cards some decent deals can still be done there, but begs the question about your CPU and RAM etc as to what you will be able to run well.

Recommendations are: (in no particular order)

BattleField 2 (Need plenty of Ram, 1 Gig at least)

Counter Strike Source: Halflife 2 needed, also needs a decent psec to run well.

Call of Duty 1 and 2 (again system requirement)

All these games are pretty decent.

PS I am an ex DF gamer and graphics and system requirements have come a long way since then, if you aint aure about minium spec compared to what you are running, visit the game websites, will give you an idea what you need to run the games.
 
Last edited:
Associate
OP
Joined
27 Jan 2004
Posts
342
Current spec is:

AMD64 3000+ @ 2350Mhz
1GB PC3200
Gigabyte GA-K8NS (AGP)

(Note the GeForce 3 ti200 64Mb graphics card was salvaged from the PC I built back in 2001!)

Thinking of perhaps a GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3.
 
Associate
Joined
12 Jan 2003
Posts
2,013
Thats a good choice of card. That or a little more on the X1950 PRO.

Both will allow you to play basically every game out there at decent detail. All of the ones mentioned above at high detail.

Other titles than suggested are the usual FPS's:

Far Cry
FEAR
Brothers in Arms
 
Associate
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
2,062
Location
Glasgow, East Kilbride
MT01XP said:
Current spec is:

AMD64 3000+ @ 2350Mhz
1GB PC3200
Gigabyte GA-K8NS (AGP)

(Note the GeForce 3 ti200 64Mb graphics card was salvaged from the PC I built back in 2001!)

Thinking of perhaps a GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3.

Or the 512mb at a push, still a decent platform on a NF3 MB for gaming.... at above and prob below listed, bobs yer uncles poodles, half cousing orantang;s half sisters maidens name, half brothers uncles brothers, brothers Uncle
 
Associate
OP
Joined
27 Jan 2004
Posts
342
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look into the suggestions.

So would I be able to play games like Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 with:

AMD64 3000+ @ 2350Mhz
1GB PC3200
Gigabyte GA-K8NS (AGP)

and a GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3.

or a Radeon X1950Pro 512MB GDDR3

and would the latter be worth the extra 25 or so quid?
 
Associate
OP
Joined
27 Jan 2004
Posts
342
MT01XP said:
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have a look into the suggestions.

So would I be able to play games like Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 with:

AMD64 3000+ @ 2350Mhz
1GB PC3200
Gigabyte GA-K8NS (AGP)

and a GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3.

or a Radeon X1950Pro 512MB GDDR3

BUMP
 
Associate
Joined
12 Feb 2003
Posts
693
Location
Beflast Norn Iron
You'll be blown away with a gfx upgrade like that, I went from the GF3ti200 to the 6800GT and I was smiling from ear to ear when I first ran 3dmark 03.
I scored 893 with the gf3, and scored 11562 with the GT.

As for games:

CoD 1+2
Far Cry
Chronicles of Riddick
Doom3
Half life 2 and CS:s
BF2
 
Associate
Joined
25 Jul 2006
Posts
429
Location
embra
MT01XP said:
and a GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3.

or a Radeon X1950Pro 512MB GDDR3

and would the latter be worth the extra 25 or so quid?
Definitely go for the X1950Pro. Very good card, and significantly more powerful than the 7600GT.
 
Back
Top Bottom