1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

Old wallets

Discussion in 'Crypto Currency & Mining' started by Ronson12, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Ronson12

Gangster

Hi all

Back in 2013 when i 1st started messing around with mining i made some wallets,backed them up then not really done anything crypto until recently.My question is i am not 100% sure if these wallets have anything on them etc.i am trying to sync bitcoin core but its taking days.is there any way to find out whats on these wallets without having to spend a week syncing.thanks

[​IMG] https://imgur.com/a/Jm9MolG

2. ozaudio

Mobster

I use electrum wallet for btc, try this for your btc wallets , no sync needed, just select the wallet you want to open

3. Th0nt

Soldato

If you know the public address you can search in block explorers for example to see how much is in them.

4. EssexBoy

Hitman

Yep block explorer would be easiest if you know adresses.

5. gittygoat

Associate

take the wallet.dat file and right-click “open with”, select the standard windows notepad or equivalent and then search for the word “name” . After the word is found, on the right you will see an address wallet (there are often several addresses in each file). Then enter on to block explorer to check balance.

6. Ronson12

Gangster

Thanks for the info all, i shall see how i get on.is this block explorer safe and do you have a link to the correct site by any chance? thanks.

7. EssexBoy

Hitman

It is safe as the address can not be used in a harmful way only as way to receive funds.Any explorer will do here is some as example.

https://www.blockchain.com/explorer

https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/

8. gittygoat

Associate

Don't forget to use the correct block explorer for each different coin ltc, btc etc.
    Hope you get a nice surprise!

9. Bigpops

Mobster

Don't forget to claim any forked coins from your bitcoin. Probably the only one worth bothering with will be Bitcoin Cash, but depending how many BTC you have it could be worth claiming bitcoin gold and bitcoin diamond. Check you'll actually be able to deposit them to an exchange and sell them before bothering to claim.

I know Stellar and XRP were also given to bitcoin holders at some point but I've no idea what the terms were for claiming it as it was long before my time.