Older (1999) Honda Accord - things to look out for?

Soldato
Hi All

I've seen an older Accord saloon for sale near to my partner's workplace - 1999 (T), 2.0 LS, 78 000 miles on the clock up for sale for £800. I've HPI checked it and all is well from that end. I'm going to view the car on Saturday, but is there anything I should check for in particular? Whatcar states that the exhaust is the main thing to check up on as well as the service history, but I was wondering if there's anyone here with a similar car that can give me some pointers.

I don't really want to rush the sale so I've got this week to do a little research - car prices are a bit high around here (I used to own a 55-plate Mondeo with ~60k on the clock which I bought for about £2,300 at home - similar spec around here is £3000+) and I've got it in my head that because it's a Honda, it'll be fairly reliable. It'll be used mainly for travelling between Cam and MK, so not too heavy a use (~100 miles/week) and fairly consistent journeys.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
I had an X reg 2.0 SE Exec so the same generation I think? I did have to replace most of the exhaust so what you've heard about that probably has some weight. I had to replace a binding caliper and have heard that isn't uncommon either. Also had to replace an anti roll bar link but aside from that it was pretty solid. I sold it for £850 with 106,000 miles.

I'm not sure if mine was broken (I don't think it was!) but I got pretty rubbish fuel economy considering - the best I ever saw was 34mpg and it went as low as about 24mpg round town, probably averaged about 28mpg.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I've owned a M reg Saloon 2.0 Petrol. Owned it for just over a year. Didn't have any problems with it. Bought it when it had over 100k miles.
Was a solid car. Sold it off in the end due to Fuel economy. It was terrible.

Soldato
OP
Shame about the fuel economy, but not a huge problem as I'll just be doing the Cam-MK drive each week on a pretty steady road - mostly (free) dual carriageway and a small bit of a single-carriageway A road.

I see a lot of Accords used as taxis and minicabs, so I can presume that this only is a good thing as they wouldn't use unreliable cars. I'll keep my eyes open for other cars in the £1-2k price range - mainly looking for a Mondeo as I liked the car and it drove pretty well for a larger-sized car.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
If you can pick one up thats been maintained, then you shouldn't have any problems.

And yes most Taxi/cabs like to drive Jap cars. Just one of those things.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the opinions. An important thing is running costs - I understand that it should be pretty reliable, but the economy isn't great and it's in a high tax bracket. I've considered the situation a bit and I'm probably going to head home this weekend (to the Derbyshire wilderness) as my parents have offered to take me to a couple of car viewings - cars are cheaper there than here. I'm looking at a few Mondeos in typical dull fashion - the old one I used to drive was excellent so I'm hoping to pick up a similar one. :)

Back
Top Bottom