1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oled out of the box now what.........

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by chili, Jul 17, 2017.

1. chili

Gangster

As above
    Current tv is almost 6yrs of age panasonic 50" 3d plasma still a good set but i have decided to upgrade.
    i have coming on tuesday an lg oled55c6v. Once i have the tv setup and positioned where i want it should i need to do anything in order to calibrate the set, if so is there an idiot's guide kicking round?

thanks

2. andicole0

Mobster

I generally find I spend several hours tweaking things over several days to get things how I like them.
    Not a great fan of presets but there are some on line if you feel the default is way off.
    You could acquire a calibration tool but I tend to think I know what I like more than a tool.
    Andi.

3. signs

Hitman

not sure on OLED (but i would have thought so ) Tv's need a couple of weeks to "bed in" really before you try any calibration :)

4. Psycho Sonny

Capodecina

bed in for 100 hours. then pay a pro calibrator £200 to calibrate it for you.

no point messing about with settings unless you have the proper equipment needed to calibrate it. also a pro calibrater should calibrate it for different viewing environments too. e.g. night and day (dark room vs light room)

5. hornetstinger

Mobster

If you know what you're doing you can do a decent job of setting brightness/contrast/colour/sharpness/colour temp.

6. Psycho Sonny

Capodecina

when your spending £1500+ on a tv IMO you would be stupid not to get it professionally calibrated. it's pennies in comparison and that way you know it's been done right and cannot get any better.

7. Nick1881

Sgarrista

I had mine professionally calibrated, the guy told me to put as many hours on it as possible beforehand to let it settle in.

I'd already spent a long time tweaking before the pro cal, using settings from others and playing around but it still made a big difference.

It's nice knowing that I'm seeing the film how it was intended, correct skin tones and such.

8. signs

Hitman

what did he charge Nick , if you don't mind me asking ?

9. Nick1881

Sgarrista

I think it was £180, he charged a little less as I only use 1 input on the TV, everything connects through my AV amp.

He did it on a Sunday and it took around 4 hours. I found him on AVF, he was from Leicester.

10. signs

Hitman

cheers for that

11. chili

Gangster

12. jpaul

Wise Guy

don't get that, you usually just copy the setting from one input to another,
    sources are outputting the same colour space for each of sd/hd/4k respectively, and the tv processing on the inputs will/should be the same.

settings for motion processing can be subjective based on different material eg formula1/football.

It would be interesting if they left you with a plot for the luminance response for the HDR like those in other recentg post here
    so that you can see what to expect in terms of trade-offs

copying the settings also enables you to acrhive them on unused hdmi inputs, so that you can make adjustments yourself and then restore if you want (pany anyway)

13. Nick1881

Sgarrista

There’s some kind of bug with my LG OLED where copying the settings doesn’t really work, entering a full 20 point calibration can be time consuming. The guy was really fast with the menus, could tell he’d done loads of them.

He showed me the colour space of rec 2020 and how far off it was, there’s no adjustment on my set once HDR is on.

14. Psycho Sonny

Capodecina

different sources may output the same thing slightly differently. that is why they usually calibrate each source. it's also why some people spend £800 on a blu ray player as opposed to just buying a £25 blu ray player. blu ray itsef is a digital format so you would think they would send the same digital signal. apparently not

15. vila

Hitman

Blu ray players all output the exact same digital signal via HDMI that is on the disc.

People pay extra if they want onboard analogue decoding, or extra features like SACD decoding, App's, upscaling or other post processing features like darbee.

16. HungryHippos

Soldato

Stick with the isf dark or isf bright presets initially. They are pretty close to being accurate, not perfect mind but close.

17. chili

Gangster

yeah thats what am using at the moment. The issue i have now is finding a code for my sky navigator remote to adjust the volume of the set? the navigator is the remote that flips open and has the keyboard inside it, my old sky remote adjusts the volume fine. So if anyone has a working navigator remote i'd be grateful.

cheets

18. jpaul

Wise Guy

from ub900 review, posted earlier
    I am not convinced colour sapce gets corrupted though, such that a single blue ray colour space characterization is not good for all sources.

19. vila

Hitman

From a review published today of the Xbox ones as a UHD Player
    https://www.avforums.com/review/mic...es-console-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-review.13709

"Some people were also put off by misleading reviews that seemed to suggest that the Xbox One S was in some way inferior to certain standalone UHD Blu-ray players. As we have said on numerous occasions, unless the player is applying some back door processing, all players outputting a digital signal over a digital connection have to be identical. How can two players read the same set of ones and zeros and yet somehow one of the players has more detail, depth, pop, black level or insight (whatever that means) – that's clearly absurd."

20. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Those professional calibrators must be laughing all the way to the bank, £45 an hour