OMEN by HP 17-an019na Gaming Laptop - GTX 1070 G-SYNC

Associate
Now sorry for starting a new thread, but as the Medion is now gone, this looks to be the next best deal coming in at 1699... now ive got an Omen, it has the 965M and its fine bar it gets quite hot when at full pelt.

Are the newer models better for that, I mean spec wise this looks quite tidy, id link it, but dont think i can, however a google its found easily enough

Associate
OP
Oh, that dosent sound good. Looks like ill have to hang it out a bit then, if i can find a 1080 at under 2K ill bite, 1070 1700 tops.... need some deals to crop up somewhere!

Associate
OP
Decent machine. Its the Max Q version of the 1070 so more like a 1065 than 1070 lol...

Whats your thoughts on MSI laptops?

I believe i can get this for just under 1700 -
MSI GT73VR 6RF Titan Pro

Has the I7 6700HQ which i dont think is that great? Also a 128GB SSD as primary isnt ideal... however it does come with 16GB Ram and a 1080 8GB card, so thats as good as it gets I believe in that area.

However would the rest of the spec be a bottle neck for it?

Caporegime
Ta. You are better than HP pre-sales. :D

The only troublesome thing niggling at me now is the screen size. I really don't know how I'm gonna get on with a 15" display after gaming on a HDTV for years. And if I plug it in to the TV with HDMI, then it negates all the benefits of Gsync. What a pickle! Everything says I should get a desktop but I really want something I can take around the house.

Soldato
With it on your lap it's pretty close. You tend to sit closer to a laptop than TV.... I only game on my TV on consoles mainly now but I do play the odd game of Civ on a laptop and have never found the size a problem.

Caporegime
How's about this then. Digital Foundry does a video comparing 1060 (mobile) vs Max Q vs desktop.

In a nutshell, it really seems there is only a difference of about 5 fps between laptop 1060 and Max Q. When you put this with the Gsync screen you'd probably never notice. Equivalent to a 970 desktop, about 10-15fps lower than a desktop 1060.

Last edited:
Associate
Now sorry for starting a new thread, but as the Medion is now gone, this looks to be the next best deal coming in at 1699... now ive got an Omen, it has the 965M and its fine bar it gets quite hot when at full pelt.

Are the newer models better for that, I mean spec wise this looks quite tidy, id link it, but dont think i can, however a google its found easily enough

Its only another £50 for the medion

Back
Top Bottom