OMG what is that noise?!

Associate
Ok I've got my ClawHammer up to 2400mhz but as soon as I start Orthos Gromac stability test an incredibly high pitched permanent beep starts.

beepvn2.jpg

The only thing I can assume is it's a warning the the voltage is too high.

Any thoughts?

Associate
Is it definitely from the speaker? Sometimes you can hear a high pitched whine/beep from certain components (like memory) as they ramp up and down. It happens on MacBook Pros a lot apparently as the CPU speedsteps.

Of course, I may be barking up completely the wrong tree here...

Associate
OP
No it's not comming from the case speaker.

I ripped the cables off it a long time ago as the noise it makes is damn annoying and I can easily solder them back on if I wish.

It's deffinitly not comming through the soundcard.

I can't work out where it's comming from, it's a very pure sound, not distorted and no noise, just a very clear single unending beep. :confused:

It's only when running Orthos as the CPU is at 100% and it stays there, and that pushes it over 1.7v.

It failed anyway after a few minutes of Gromac testing but I'd still like to know what made the sound wave.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
oceaness said:
No it's not comming from the case speaker.

I ripped the cables off it a long time ago as the noise it makes is damn annoying and I can easily solder them back on if I wish.

It's deffinitly not comming through the soundcard.

I can't work out where it's comming from, it's a very pure sound, not distorted and no noise, just a very clear single unending beep. :confused:

It's only when running Orthos as the CPU is at 100% and it stays there, and that pushes it over 1.7v.

It failed anyway after a few minutes of Gromac testing but I'd still like to know what made the sound wave.

Prolly the CPU, i've heard CPU's squeel before when they are overclocked. And my old FX5800 used to do the same if it was overclocked.

Associate
OP
I'd record it, but I'm back down to 2350mhz at 1.65v in bios.

Now Folding as I know it's stable at these settings.

A 350mhz overclock on a ClawHammer is no mean feat, I just wanted 2400 that way the memory ties in at 400mhz, atm it's at 390mhz.

Also had the 2.5x multi on the HT actually worked it would have brought my HT back up to 600mhz, rather than the 470mhz it's at atm, because it's set at 2.5x only it just seems to use 2x anyway.

The noise only occured when the CPU was at full load when I was running it at that speed.

Associate
It'll be the regulation coils (near the mosfets - same circuit)... look around the cpu socket, you should see some circular ferrite coils with copper wrapped round them. It's those that are squealing. No other component (ram, cpu etc) is capable of producing the noise. S'been a problem for YEARS with various boards etc.

Associate
OP
james.miller said:
buzzer on the motherboard? that is quite a high voltage lol (isnt it? i cant even remember the stock voltage of the claws lol)

Did think about that, though I can't see a buzzer on the motherboard.

And er yes that is quite a high voltage I think stock is 1.45v

But 50°C at 2400mhz isn't bad with that kind of voltage.

Associate
OP
Marci said:
It'll be the regulation coils (near the mosfets - same circuit)... look around the cpu socket, you should see some circular ferrite coils with copper wrapped round them. It's those that are squealing. No other component (ram, cpu etc) is capable of producing the noise. S'been a problem for YEARS with various boards etc.

Ah ha! At last. That makes sense, I didn't think the other components could make a noise loud enough to be heard in the next room lol :)

Soldato
if its that loud then im sure it wont be coils. they can make a high pitched squeal, but nothing like that. if it really is your coils than stand back. No better still run away as fast as you can, because if they are squealing that loud chances are they are gonna go bang and take half the country out with them lol. at the very least wear a radiation suit :p

my 8800gtx squeals, but its a faint kind-of-interference-type-of-noise-thing.

Associate
OP
james.miller said:
if its that loud then im sure it wont be coils. the make a high pitched squeal, but nothign like that. if it really is your coils than stand back. No better still run away as fast as you can, because if they are squealing that loud chances are they are gonna go bang and take half the country out with them lol.

It's not loud it's just at a frequency that can travel through walls as if they weren't there lol.

I actually just remembered that my motherboard doesn't actually have any active cooling at the moment because the CPU, NB and Graphics card are watercooled. I just have the side off for now until I can get a 120mm hole cut in it. So there at skin melting temperature at this speed let alone at 1.7v.

Might try again when I get one or two 120s on the side of the case.

Associate
what gfx card you using?

some have buzzers in them that make that noise when the power drops.

it's possible that the power draw from you CPU is sacrificing some to your gfx card and that's what's bleating at you.

good luck finding it!

Associate
OP
Junk said:
what gfx card you using?

some have buzzers in them that make that noise when the power drops.

it's possible that the power draw from you CPU is sacrificing some to your gfx card and that's what's bleating at you.

good luck finding it!

Ti4600 lol

Just a tad old and I can't see any buzzer on it.

PSU is a Hiper Type-R 580watt (please lets not have a debate about the quality of Hiper PSU's it's perfectly adequate)

Man of Honour
oceaness said:
A 350mhz overclock on a ClawHammer is no mean feat, I just wanted 2400 that way the memory ties in at 400mhz, atm it's at 390mhz.

I used to have the very same chip, max i could get out of it was 2280 stable. :(

Yours is A very impressive O'C. :D

Stock voltage on Claws is 1.5v

Highest i've gone is 1.68v on my current Claw 3700+.

What mobo are you using ?

Good Luck

Last edited:
Associate
OP
mrdbristol said:
I used to have the very same chip, max i could get out of it was 2280 stable. :(

Yours is A very impressive O'C. :D

Stock voltage on Claws is 1.5v

Highest i've gone is 1.68v on my current Claw 3700+.

What mobo are you using ?

Good Luck

Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP.

The increase in CPU speed is all very well but it would be good to get the memory and HT back up to speed. :)

I'm running 2350mhz atm, temps are good and PC is absolutely silent, rad fans on 20%.

2350fg2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom