Ominous meeting

Soldato
I'm being called into my Bosses room later as they have feedback of my performance from our colleagues in France. Thing that confuses me is I rarely have contact with them.

Only time I have contact is when we're raising logs for them to resolve, I can probably think of a couple of times where I could have been a bit more clear or where i've missed something obvious, but i've made a considered effort to improve this recently, and afterall i'm only human.

I got praised last week for excellent support of some of our UK clients, so let's see if I get slated this week. Whatever the outcome i'm gonna stick up for myself :(

Edit: Wish me luck

Last edited:
Soldato
the questions I would ask myself in this situation would be:

1.have i been doing my job properly?
2.what mistakes could I have made?
3.what lessons have i learned from my mistakes?
4.how has my work rate been?
5.how does my boss think of me?

and remember when your boss actually calls you in to smile, look relaxed & look tidy and you should be fine. :D

Soldato
OP
1. As far as i'm aware.

2. There's probably a couple of little things but nothing major

3. I always try to learn from my mistakes, not always successfully but most of the time I would say i'm pretty good.

4. I currently have no "real" work everything has been done for a fair while, in fact i'm so quiet i'm working on potential work which might not even come our way.

5. I've taken criticism in the past from them but I like to think they respect me for making improvements across the board.

Soldato
OP
Good and Bad really.

Had a company workshop I went to in October which took place in the main office in Paris.

It was basically a course on how to support clients on one of newer products, which involved a lot of querying SQL tables etc.

Their comments on me were that I was very bright with a high capacity for understanding, but they thought I was lazy.

Not really sure how they came to that conclusion considering I finished all the practical exercises in good time.

Only thing I can think of is I didn't ask many questions, didn't take a lot of notes and I had hotmail up to stay in touch with my gf.

a) I never ask many questions mainly because I can never think of good ones.
b) I've always been a crap note taker, I prefer to teach myself via practical means, it did me well in my degree (2:1) so I don't see why it shouldn't now
c) If I can do the work and email, why the hell not.

There were more points they raised with me, some fair some not so fair. I'll take them as constructive crit even though it hurt a bit as I think my work is pretty good really.

One other they commented on was to be more pro-active i.e. phone people instead of email when there is some urgency, this is a fair point and is mainly down to my confidence speaking to some people. They've offered to help me wherever possible to help improve my confidence.

So i'm taking it professionally, but I can't help but feel ever so slightly battered and bruised.

Soldato
Try and improve where they say your weakness are, don't take it personally, they want the people that work for them to be worth the wage :D , I'm sure that the meeting was for the reason of pointing said weaknesses out, provide you work hard and well, thats what it all comes down to. ;)

Soldato
knowledge123 said:
Try and improve where they say your weakness are, don't take it personally, they want the people that work for them to be worth the wage :D , I'm sure that the meeting was for the reason of pointing said weaknesses out, provide you work hard and well, thats what it all comes down to. ;)

I'm crious as to what you work as to be talking this way about work...

Soldato
knowledge123 said:
No, not freelance, I am an employee

You manage people?

The reasons I have for asking is that people tend to have about 4 attiudes to work, and I am wondering why some people take a certain attitude over another...

1) Invested - whereby a person buys into their identity and the 'principles' of work and who they are working for...

2) Less invested - whereby they will be more critical of what they believe and how they see themselves with regards to where and what they do

3) Impartial - For those who have no distaste for their work, but do not adopt the values of where they work

4) Belligerent - those who rebel against the values of their workplace (usually not whilst at work) and dislike their work

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom