on-demand content options

Soldato
I don't watch enough TV normally to justify continuing to get the TV XL package from Virgin Media, so I'm going to get rid of my V+ box and switch to just Freeview. While Freeview gives me most of the channels I want to watch I rarely watch anything live any more, so what are my best option for on-demand content?

Rather than buy a HTPC to give me access to on-demand stuff, what options would a console give me? I don't have a blu-ray player so perhaps a PS3/4 would be better than an Xbox? I don't know what sort of apps are available for the consoles but I'm hoping for a solution that would give me access to the on-demand TV services, subscription services like netflix if I decide to get that route later, and hopefully other internet content like twitch.tv, youtube, web browser etc...

I have a raspberry pi set up with RaspBMC already, but it doesn't have the responsiveness to use on a daily basis, and the lack of certain things like a web browser is a little disappointing.

Caporegime
Rather than drop say £150 on a ps3 which is old tech now or £350 on a ps4 just to watch on demand stuff.

remember blu ray's are expensive, and after you watch a movie once it will usually just sit there for years so no point buying one unless your actually going to be using it. would be cheaper just paying for move package imo than buying blu rays on a constant basis.

I would get a youview box off gumtree or ebay (the talk talk versions usually sell for around £100 brand new on ebay and a lot less on gumtree). they will work the same as a normal youview box apart from the talk talk part of it will be disabled.

or you could always hook up a laptop or pc to your tv?

or you could buy a new smart tv or smart blu ray player which will have netflix apps, etc available.

or you could just torrent stuff stick it on a usb and then play it through a multitude of devices connected to the tv.

Soldato
As above, get a youview box. We have just bought one for our bedroom. It offers all the usual freeview channels, including the HD ones, plus you can scroll back 7 days and watch on demand programmes through the integrated catch up apps.

Back
Top Bottom