On the subject of tyres

Associate
Something new from Avon arriving in the New Year...

Avon Tyres’ most uncompromising ultra-high performance tyre, the ZZR, is set to be paired with another equally high-performance product, the Caterham Superlight range.

The two iconic British motoring brands’ long association, stretching back 18 years, has resulted in the creation of a bespoke version of Avon’s road-legal ZZR tyre, designed for maximum dry weather grip.

The ZZR range has proved itself to be a formidable performer, particularly among the track-day fraternity, which seeks a tyre offering predictable and progressive handling.

It is not the first time Avon, owned and manufactured by Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, and Caterham have combined - the much heralded Avon CR500 was developed specifically for the predecessor of the present-day Superlight R500, and is standard fitment across the current Superlight range.

James Weekley, Avon Tyres’ Operations and UK Sales Manager commented: “The challenge was to take our most extreme tyre and tune it to compliment the specific characteristics that are inherent to Superlight Sevens. A two-tonne Nissan GTR is an altogether different prospect to a half-tonne Caterham.

“Using all the data and expertise we’ve collected over the years, we’ve tweaked the ZZR with a lighter overall construction, using less stiff sidewalls, reduced reinforcement and a softer compound of rubber, making it ideally suited to the new application.”

Available as an option on the Caterham Superlight range, the road-legal ZZR offers track enthusiasts the ultimate in grip and handling, with enhanced performance in the dry over the standard fitment Avon CR500.

news_avon_caterham.jpg

About half the grooves of the current ZZR or A048/R888. Can't wait to try them. Should be interesting in the wet :D

Soldato
When Evo did their tyre test a couple of years back they (Avon) didnt enter because they were supposedly bringing out a replacement to the ZZ3.... I was quite interested as I had a set and thought they were quite decent all rounders.

Still waiting for it now!

Associate
An R500 coupled with those tyres in the wet will be LETHAL. :eek:

Great fun though. :D

look like they would be scary in the wet! i wouldnt say fun, fun is when you have little traction but enough to have some control

last pair of avon i had they didnt do 5k miles! gets expensive, i just go for ditch finders on the back now.

Back
Top Bottom