1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Car for the next 10 years

Discussion in 'Motors' started by DAIR, Jul 2, 2018.

1. paintguy

Mobster

Surprised at the number of estate cars getting chosen.

I can't argue though as I've had my S4 Avant for nearly 8 years and it's been perfectly practical for carrying all my DIY materials, and then fun when I get the chance.

Seems to be a popular choice but I'd have an RS6 if funds ever allowed.

2. daz

Capodecina

Quite fancy a Cayenne eHybrid (the new one).

~85g/km CO2, 450BHP, comfy and sporty without maintenance being ruinous.

3. Scania

Capodecina

BMW 520d.

Every other car on the roads seems to be one so may as well join the party. :p

To be fair, disregarding something exotic, it would be a good shout!

4. arfoll

Wise Guy

Yeah... You never gave a budget :) also this way you'll get to try all sorts of other BMW's whilst yours is being repaired!

5. Tute

Capodecina

Probably a fast(er) hatch than what I currently have, so RS3, Mk2 RS, M140i maybe? It would depend on test driving them really.

6. texasjohn

Gangster

Panamera Turbo for me, or the new M5 perhaps.

7. .:SAmSuNG:.

Mobster

RS5 Sportback

8. Lopéz

Man of Honour

Personally, I think estates are great. They often look sleeker than the equivalent hatchback, have much greater practicality, and have no major drawbacks.

9. AHarvey

Sgarrista

Tbh, I'm the same with my mk5 Gti, love it. Will be getting a few mods and looking at upping the power to 350bhp but it's a great all rounder. Fun to drive, fits the family and is comfortable enough when sat in traffic, plus, you've got the VW scene.

There are a few cars I'd be tempted by if I am honest just for the extra power. S4/RS4, 370z or GTR for more power but you lose practicality with the last 2.

10. fastwunz

Mobster

RS4.

In that awesome dark green colour.

Nuff said.

11. Jumper118

Mobster

One car would suck.

12. JoeF1

Mobster

Audi RS Avant

13. DarrenM343

Soldato

I've had my fair share of fast/sports cars in the past but the longest car I've kept is my current BMW X1(6 years now).Slated by many when they came out but I've found it a fantastic alrounder. Something like this I'd want for 10 years probably. If i didnt need to commute I'd probably get something small and nippy. Parking my other car (an old 2004 Yaris) is so easy, much more enjoyable parking in cities than the X1. QUite like the look of the new X2.

14. Sargatanas2511

Mobster

Completely agree. It would be an RS6 for me too.

15. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

+1, or nearly anyway. I don't rate the looks of our E91, I think the older E46 touring was better looking, as are the newer versions. For all that, it's just such a brilliant all rounder.

16. TacticalFish

Hitman

Jaguar XE SV Project 8 :D

Not a car, and not at all practical, but I'd have a FV107 Scimitar if poss.

17. Bug One

Capodecina

Tesla Model X P100D

I hate paying for fuel - and assuming we're ignoring purchase price and depreciation (a la Ferrari's) - running costs should be manageable.

18. mattyg

Sgarrista

Range Rover in 10 years time I'll be 55 and already have a bad back so I need an armchair car...

19. Nasher

Capodecina

Problem with Tesla is there are a lot of unknowns and it looks like a big risk running one for so long out of warranty. Parts and repairs on them is super expensive, if you can find the parts!

Then you have the issue of actually finding a local mechanic who will work on it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  20. Scania

Capodecina

I was talking with a local garage owner recently who’s started working on a few Tesla’s and said he’s found them no worse than anything else tbh if anything he said they actually seem to have thought about maintenance when designing and they don’t seem to be deliberately complex when it comes to access for certain parts unlike many modern manufacturers who seem to try to make things as difficult as possible to work on!