1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One reason a smoking ban in clubs is bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ben_j_davis, 20 May 2006.

1. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

According to a few Norwegian people at work, Norway has banned smoking in night clubs - Good idea you many think? That was until they told me that once you eliminate smoke from room, one smell suddenly becomes very apparent – sweat.

I hadn't really thought about this before, but smoke really does mask practically every smell. Every summer i have to endure maybe 30 minutes a day of being squashed against sweaty people on the tube. Now imagine all those sweaty people, drunk and dancing around for several hours in the same confined space.

I guess it won't be so bad for huge clubs, but the kind of places i go on a friday night are little more than cellars with a couple bars and DJ.

Can't say i'm looking forward to all the BO.

Last edited: 20 May 2006
  2. spirit

Wise Guy

solution: get better ac :)

3. Blackstar

Mobster

Scotland already have a smoking ban. I could explain what it smells like in clubs now but i gag thinking about it.

4. A2Z

Sgarrista

thats not a reason, its a silly excuse ;)

5. Worthy

Don

It's true. A place local to me absolutely stinks of pungent sweat if you go in early. It's only bearable when the smoke starts to mask it.

6. Yas786

Caporegime

Or better still make sure at the door they all smell nice and fresh, if not they arent allowed in.

Now who wants a job of being an arm pit whiffer??:p:D

7. Tru

Mobster

Wait til you approach the toilets in a smoke free pub, that urine whiff just seems to creep further all the time.

8. AJUK

Man of Honour

Wash and use deodourant you smelly clubbers!

edit: Come to think of it, if a club or pub smells of sweat because the smoke no longer masks the aroma, do you really want to visit the place anyway. Perhaps the owners will invest in cleaners and make sure the place smells nice for their customers.

Last edited: 20 May 2006
  9. scorza

Caporegime

At least smelling BO, farts and urine won't give you cancer.

10. james.miller

Capodecina

that's an interesting point. personally for whatever reason, for me the smell of smoke is much easier to live with then the smell of sweat. That's not something i would even have concidered before.

11. Worthy

Don

Oh get over yourself. You can't seriously believe that passive smoke from going to a club once or twice a week will give you cancer?

12. pyro

Capodecina

Solution:

[​IMG]

13. AJUK

Man of Honour

The medical community will disagree with you.

14. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

4tw

15. Haircut

Mobster

Agreed, when I went to Dublin not too long ago the clubs all smelt of feet :(

16. james.miller

Capodecina

and farting contributes to the green house effect. were all slowly killing ourselfs one way or another;)

off topic though, let's not go down that route.

17. ArmoVanBuuren

Hitman

Havent thought about the effect of sweat, hopefully the good clubs will invest in more AC.

18. Worthy

Don

Yes, and they will also say we can't drink orange juice, because apparently that causes cancer now too doesn't it?

19. tenchi-fan

Wise Guy

Breathing 8 hours worth of smoke? Eh, it probably could give you cancer actually. And what about the bar and floor staff working in the clubs?

Anyway, in Ireland a lot of pubs put candles on the tables to get rid of unpleasant smells. As for the nightclubs, I can't say I noticed any particularly bad smells. For a start, there's often a strong smell of booze. Better air conditioning systems also help, as does a doorman turning away people who couldn't be bothered to put on a clean shirt (in Ireland at least you can't go into most nightclubs wearing runners, tracksuits and jerseys).

And speaking of smells, at least your clothes don't smell like an ashtray the following day!

20. tenchi-fan

Wise Guy

Worthy, are you trolling or are you naturally thick? Millions of people don't die each year from drinking orange juice.